PDA

View Full Version : Hierarchical SubDs in Renderman

nurcc
09-16-2004, 03:08 AM
I've read in the past that there was no way to output Maya's hierarchical subdivision surfaces to RIB files. I read on the release notes of Pixar's Renderman for Maya that they just do the first level's edits.

Is there any way to export a SubD with all of its hierarchical edits intact? Some sort of plugin? Maybe a workaround?

If the hierarchical SubDs are working the way I'm thinking they are, it is possible to output them to RIB files. I was just wondering if anyone was doing this already. If not, would you guys be interested in me making one?

BillSpradlin
09-16-2004, 05:45 AM
I'm sure someone somewhere out there has made a script for this, weather or not it's public is another matter. So I think making this possible would definitely be of good to those that need it. So yes, by all means, if you are capable of doing it, then go for it. I'm not sure if it is possible to translate the hierachal SubD information to RIB though, so it might be a challange.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.