PDA

View Full Version : A quick question on selections

Mocksy
09-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Hi there guys,

learning Photoshop right now (its as cool as) but have a quick question on selections.
What happens when you keep ctrl down and click on a layer. It says load selection
does this load the selection currently on that layer or does it copy it to another layer ???

Any help would be appreciated
thx

riat_sila
09-15-2004, 05:31 PM
If I understand you correctly, CTRL+LEFT CLICK on a layer in the layer window, then this should select the outline of the layer.

JohnnyRandom
09-15-2004, 08:57 PM
As far as I know selections don't "copy" to layers. Selections are "individual entities" that can effect any layer in the stack given that any layer is selected
If layer 1 is selected (in the layers palette) then the selection applies to layer 1, if layer 2 is selected then the selection applies to layer 2, ect.

Ctrl+Click on a layer thumbnail loads that layers transparency as a selection.

halo
09-16-2004, 08:39 AM
ctrl click layer generates a selection based upon the transparent areas of the selection of the layer ctrl clicked.

selections are useable on any layer/channel/mask etc, but will apply to which ever layer/channel/mask is selected at the time.

Elysian
09-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Ctrl+Click on a layer thumbnail loads that layers transparency as a selection.Incorrect; it selects the non-transparent pixels, not the transparency itself.

JohnnyRandom
09-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Incorrect; it selects the non-transparent pixels, not the transparency itself. Correct, sorry my bad, RTM its a direct quote from the listing in the keyboard shortcuts... maybe adobe should fix that

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.