PDA

View Full Version : Brush selection window

andrewley
09-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Forgive me if this has been asked before (I did look around) but I'm new to painter

I've noticed that a few artists have a window in their workspace with thumbnails of their favourite brushes. This window is always open and they can simply click on the brush they want.

How can I create one of these windows to store my brushes in

Thanks in advance

Shogmaster
09-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Make sure you've updated your Painter 8 to 8.1, and then just ckick and drag any brush varient out to an empty work area.

I personally would create a new varient and then drag that one out, instead of dragging out the default brushes.

Jinbrown
09-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Hi andrewley,

What you want is Custom Palettes. With the Painter 8.1 patch installed, we can drag any icon for brushes, art materials, or scripts onto the Painter screen to create a new Custom Palette, or onto an existing Custom Palette. We can also add main menu command buttons or palette menu command buttons to a Custom Palette.

Download both the Painter 8.1 patch and the updated Painter 8 User Guide PDF file that explains how to create and use Custom Palettes from the Corel FTP site at:

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Painter/8.1

I don't think Corel's instructions for installing the Painter 8.1 patch (or previous version patches) are the same as mine which include a couple of extra steps we've found through experience can make a difference. Rebooting, for instance.

You'll need to use the following steps to help prevent problems:

1. Move any files you created into a backup folder somewhere outside of the Painter 8 folders.

2. Uninstall Painter 8.

3. Manually delete any remaining Painter 8 folders and files.

4. Reboot.

5. Install Painter 8 and don't open it even one time.

6. Install the Painter 8.1 patch.

7. Reboot.

8. Launch Painter 8.1 and check again to see if the installation went as expected, using the checks listed below.

To find out if your Painter 8.1 patch installed correctly, do the following:

1. Look on the splash screen, in the top line of small text at the bottom of the splash screen and you should see Version 8.1.

2. Drag an icon onto the Painter screen. If you can do that, it'll automatically create a Custom Palette named Custom 1.

3. Look in the Window menu and near the bottom you should see Custom Palettes.

4. If you see none of the above, your patch installation will need to be redone.

Good luck,

andrewley
09-17-2004, 04:16 PM
awesome - thanks Jin!

Jinbrown
09-17-2004, 09:20 PM
You're most welcome, andrewley! :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.