PDA

View Full Version : CgTalk Daily Sketch 102: "run for your life (I insist ;) "

RobertoOrtiz
09-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi guys, I promise to bring back the fight club, one way or another next week.
Post your ideas for this on the topic thread, and we might make it a regular feature.
Today I wanted to experiment a bit:
Posted Sep 15, 10:00 am EST

*Lets to try something diferent for today, this time, draw this idea like a comic book page.
(Yes I want us to try sequential art)

We will try to post one of these topics once a day for your enjoyment.

These are the rules:
* Post only your FINAL piece on this thread, based on the topic on the thread.
* 640 x 480 / 480 x 640 OR 800 x 600 /600 x 800
* They can be done on any medium.
* If you wish, you can add a brief text description about your piece.
* Only original compositions. No "tributes" or plagiarizing.
* The topics will be posted every day between 10:00 - 12:00 am US EST.
* The artist also has to post total length of time it took (Thanks Clanger for the idea) and program used.
* Only final pieces can be posted on the thread. They must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
* Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
* The topics will be picked at random from the list on this thread
(The author will be given credit). So guys keep them coming.
*You can add multiple entries, but please dont post WIP (Unless you intend to update them). NEW RULE!
* Ill post ANOTHER thread to quantify and track WHO has participated the most on these threads.

Good luck

-Roberto
PS To submit your topic ideas and suggestions go to this thread:
>>Link<< (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145003&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

thebigxer
09-15-2004, 03:44 PM
This sounds like fun but ill have to wait till class is over to do something.

Obear
09-15-2004, 07:38 PM
A question about daily chalanges, if i dont get my picture in on the day it is set, will i be disqualified from a vote?

Or do you just vote at end of week regardless of when each painting, sketch was done?

Erikoinen
09-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Obear, you wont be disqualified from the vote. How the voting happens is that users browse the daily sketch -threads through and sees what's best in their opinion, so whenever the voting is happening, your post must be submitted there. So as long as the pic is there by the time of voting, it will be counted.

... I think.

andrewley
09-15-2004, 08:28 PM
sorry about the large image

Painter - Wacom - 3.5 hours

http://img14.exs.cx/img14/383/comic13.jpg

RobertoOrtiz
09-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Ill make exceptions for page size for this kind of thread.

-R

Sagii
09-15-2004, 10:44 PM
15 MINUTES PHOTOSHOP :)
RUNN YOU KNOW WHAT BEANS CAN DO TO A STOMACH!

http://pages.ivillage.com/cgsketch//run-for-your-lifes.jpg

http://pages.ivillage.com/cgsketch//run-for-your-lifes.jpg

Taron333
09-16-2004, 02:11 AM
4h/openCanvas/no reference

Lured by the dimm lights of a settlement, he wondered off his path that would lead him along the borders of the cold desert. Little was known to him about this foreign world. Neither did he know if it was wise of him to follow this rather harmless curiosity. But as he came closer the forms began to reveal such tempting shapes, it was impossible to resist the urge to see this up close. "Is this what I think it is?"-he asked himself. "Am I in a dream?"....

...if nature was hungry and knew about men...

http://www.taron.de/Storage/Images/2d_sketches/RunWhileYouCan.jpg

deaderthanred
09-16-2004, 02:34 AM
http://www.renderositymagazine.com/photos/CollabMessage853.jpg

pastry should be careful where they run off to :D hehehe
approx 2hrs or more
optical mouse
PSP7

Phade
09-16-2004, 04:01 AM
http://crystalynstorm.com/cgt_dsg/091504.jpg

about an hour, pencil

deaderthanred - gingie! funny and well done

Taron333 - I saw it earlier before the story, and loved the colors and form. with the story it's even better :)

sagi_13 - taco bell run heh heh

andrewley - quality as always - looking at the aftermath, it would seem you were toasted too . . . hehehe

Andyman
09-16-2004, 07:23 AM
Here's mine. Yeah I know it isn't in comic format.... I ran out of time. Hopefully I can fix it up tomorrow.

1 hour/openCanvas/Wacom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/Andyman1655/runforyourlife.jpg

Friday morning... I leave for college in New York. I wonder if this might be my last DS for a long time. :sad: I might have time at college, but I'm guessing not. Tomorrow I have to pack everything and finish everything up, and then Friday morning I leave.... off to get some learning I guess. If I can't come back for awhile... I would just like to say, that every single one of you guys is awesome; while I haven't sketched for all of them, I've been watching every thread from the beginning here, and you all amaze me with your incredible skills. This DSG has, at least in my opinion, somewhat helped me improve my drawing and it has certainly been something to look forward to every single day.

Happy drawing guys! =)

Art2
09-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Great style Andrewley!
That's an F-15 instead of an F-16 ;) btw.

Opeth
09-16-2004, 10:42 AM
oooh
pretty pictures :))
Taron - You're lighting is amazing. you must do a fast-forward video of ur workflow!
andrewley - heeh that was a good one! :) Cgtalkopolis :) Just one little thing - you wrote F-16 and drew a F-15.. but never mind, just being a pedant.

I just installed a SATA HDD and reinstalled everything and for some reason i can't work the wacom.. when (if) i'll do it i'll post something as well...

Taron333
09-16-2004, 11:02 AM
oooh
Taron - You're lighting is amazing. you must do a fast-forward video of ur workflow!

HAHA, Thank you, it's already there! I always save the event-file with openCanvas images, recording the entire creation of the image! It's only about 800Kb for this one! For a limited time I could put it up....wonna have it? :D

I also just noticed that this is SUPPOSED to become a comic page...didn't read that before, so now I may have to expand it....let's see...

Thanx, again! :bounce:

Taron

Aelea
09-16-2004, 11:13 AM
*Lets to try something diferent for today, this time, draw this idea like a comic book page.
Is it obligatory? I see that some entries doesn't follow the sequential comic strip concept.
I don't have time to make an entire page.

Regards

Aelea

elmasfeo
09-16-2004, 11:44 AM
bwwaarghh... it looked muuuch better in my head, I don't know why I'm posting it:banghead: , it's not even original or funny or anything...

[edit: pic removed to keep bandwith low]

akocan
09-16-2004, 01:54 PM
hmm..

well
here's something funny:

I didn't mean for the subject to be "run for your life (I insist;)". That "I insist" at the end is because I wrote "run for your life" twice as a suggestion.

Anyways,
You seem to be creating stuff. So who cares ;)

Sincerely

BadPenny
09-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Taron..OMG:eek: ..I guess it's the best pic i have seen so far in this forum.Your work is outstanding, great colors, great atmosphere...and simply AMAZING!!:thumbsup:

Ac0rN
09-16-2004, 01:59 PM
andrewley, thats funny as hell ! LOL !!! Great work :thumbsup: :scream:

Taron333
09-16-2004, 02:19 PM
AMAZING!![/b]:thumbsup:

It's been a big blast to make! Thanx, Dude! :beer:

I feel like this is the first comic page I've ever done, but I remember having done some together with r0mer0 about eh...let's count, oops two hands not enough....like 12 years ago?! HAHAHA crazy....

robinayles
09-16-2004, 02:23 PM
oooh
andrewley - heeh that was a good one! :) Cgtalkopolis :) Just one little thing - you wrote F-16 and drew a F-15.. but never mind, just being a pedant.

I just installed a SATA HDD and reinstalled everything and for some reason i can't work the wacom.. when (if) i'll do it i'll post something as well...

Opeth, nope, the F15 is a single tail and the F16 has a double tail. He drew the 16 correctly. Sorry but I used to work at Lockheed on the F15 mid-life upgrade program. Pretty funny really, the F15 was originally created in the 70's and the "mid-life" upgrade was in the 90's!! According to the pilots who fly the 15, its a damn good craft!

Art2
09-16-2004, 02:32 PM
robinayles: could you show me a pic of a single tail F-15 and a double tail F-16? Because I'm very curious now.

zem
09-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Crap! Posted in the wrong thread!
Well, while I'm here. Great entries.

Andrewlew, You should make comics. Great stuff.

Sag1_13, Never had burritos, and based on your illustration, never will. Pretty cool!

Taron333, Can you please stop amaze me all the time. Hurts my eyes:eek:

deaderthanred, Oh man what a combination of movies. Ring and Shrek. Shrek, by the way sounds like the swedish word 'skräck', which means 'horror'

Phade, like the shadowsketching on the fleeing person.

Andyman, real cool post. water looks good.

elmasfeo, not fair, now I'm curious how it will all end.

If I missed someone, i'm sorry. Here at work writing on overtime...

andrewley
09-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Art2 - I think you're right about the F16 having a single tail - I drew this plane from memory and just guessed at the type

Thanks for the comments guys

Supervlieg
09-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Opeth, nope, the F15 is a single tail and the F16 has a double tail. He drew the 16 correctly. Sorry but I used to work at Lockheed on the F15 mid-life upgrade program. Pretty funny really, the F15 was originally created in the 70's and the "mid-life" upgrade was in the 90's!! According to the pilots who fly the 15, its a damn good craft!
For someone who worked on a f15, you sure have your tails messed up. F15's have two tails, F16's one. I used to build those planes so I would know.

They were little plastic ones though.

Supervlieg
09-16-2004, 04:00 PM
btw great one Taron333

Sagii
09-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Hey i made my first animated gif. I selftaught myself the basics of after effects yesterday.. so here is my taco bell run, with extra cheese... :) sorry i have not learned yet how to make the gif loop... grrr

http://pages.ivillage.com/cgsketch//Comp_1_1.gif

Opeth
09-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Robinayles man, I respect ur opinion, but i'm an officer in the Israely Air Force and i'm quite fermiliar with F-16 A, C (single seaters) B, D, I (double seaters), and F-15 A, B, and E.
I am willing to bet my ballsacks on this and u may check in whatever site you wish.
F-15 is doublt engined, double finned, and is about 25-30% larger than a F-16, which is single engined, singed finned, and relatively small and feeble.
Its not very relevant to the story since both can carry guided ATS missles.

so.. before u go and check this and get proven wrong, what are our stakes?
the winner must draw a F-15 kicking his avatars ass?.. no.. u don't have an avatar.. oh well... just check it out :)

Jasel
09-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Sorry but I used to work at Lockheed on the F15 mid-life upgrade program. Pretty funny really, the F15 was originally created in the 70's and the "mid-life" upgrade was in the 90's!! According to the pilots who fly the 15, its a damn good craft!
You mean you worked at Lockheed on an upgrade for the McDonnell-Douglas F15? Now that's what I call outsourcing...
Oh, and what Andrewley drew is an F15. But it doesn't really matter, F15 or 16, the sketch is great...

robinayles
09-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Sorry folks, I went temporarily slysdexic...I mean dyspeptic...I mean dyslexic! It was the F16 I worked on at Lockheed...must be a terrible memory for me to have not only supressed it, but to have also tried to switch it with another wonderful aircraft.
:shrug:
Here is egg on the face of the Avatar I don't have yet.http://www.k-squared.com/egg1.JPG
I grovel and beg forgiveness from my betters...and please don't hurt me in the Avatar Wars!

deaderthanred
09-16-2004, 07:00 PM
andrewley: cool sketch!!
sagi_13: I'll never look at tacos the same way again :scream:
Taron333: saw your original pic and story earlier.. I must say: sweeeet updates!! :love: ..Count me interested in your workflow vid too!!:bounce:
Phade: thanks! You got a cute cave alien (?) there lol
Andyman: reminds me of Day After Tomorrow
elmasfeo: still a good sketch, made me grin :D
zem: thanks! I was wondering if anyone saw The Ring here.. i could never look at a tv the same way again after watching it

Opeth
09-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Forgiveness given!
i could go for an egg right now...

robinayles
09-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Trust me when I say that you don't want to eat the one I just posted. I have no drawing tools here at work, had to use MS Paint - AAARGH!

Opeth
09-16-2004, 07:36 PM
YO TARON!!

PAY BACK!!! (though i don't think u killed my avatar)\
I know i'm late but i only now got my wacom to work after reinstalling my OS...

Anyway, I'm still taken by the last thread so i decided to combine - Also, i decided to try to give the image a Taron feel (colors etc.)
Its a little too sketchy, i know, but i was in a hurry.
30 minutes, PS CS.

http://www.davids-gallery.com/Old/taron.jpg

Octothreat
09-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Elmasfeo, looks like we had the same idea :D ! (roughly) Sorry for the somber tone, but this topic struck me as kind of powerful.
3hr photoshop, wacom
http://img90.exs.cx/img90/2772/runforyourlifeiinsist.jpg

Dargon
09-16-2004, 10:33 PM
Not my best work, but fun. Thought since I just passed 666, I should do something demon related.

Andrewley - Cut it out, will you? You're making us look bad. Your freehand stuff is way better than your photo ref stuff, which is definately a good thing.

About 40 minutes, including a lengthy talk over trillian about 2000AD...

http://img79.exs.cx/img79/1503/Demon1.jpg

andrewley
09-16-2004, 10:52 PM
lol - cheers Dargon. I'm tryin to cut down on photo ref but if you've seen my addict post you'll know its not going too well :)

but yeah - no ref this time

Its not your best work but it made me laugh, so good job!

majofo
09-17-2004, 03:07 AM
Andrewley, your pic is amazing!You seem to have started something in this sketch with your comic pic.

Good stuff...

Taron333
09-17-2004, 05:32 AM
Anyway, I'm still taken by the last thread so i decided to combine - Also, i decided to try to give the image a Taron feel (colors etc.)

Definitely entertaining....not sure if that's going to hurt the both of us, though?! :shrug:

:hmm:

Ego
09-17-2004, 05:38 AM
HAHA, Thank you, it's already there! I always save the event-file with openCanvas images, recording the entire creation of the image! It's only about 800Kb for this one! For a limited time I could put it up....wonna have it? :D
TaronYes, Indeedy! Thanks
Awesome work guys

Dargon
09-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Andrewley, your pic is amazing!You seem to have started something in this sketch with your comic pic.

Good stuff...

Actually, Roberto started it...

"run for your life (I insist ;)" *
By Akocan
Posted Sep 15, 10:00 am EST

__________________________________________________ ___________

majofo
09-17-2004, 05:32 PM
AHHHHH!!!

Thanks for correcting me Dargon, my bad.

Opeth
09-18-2004, 04:27 AM
Hmm.. taron dude, i didn't understand...
the taron feel atempt is a tribute.. plus as u can see i didn't really put much into this image so aside from the colors its really nothing ..

Taron333
09-18-2004, 05:32 AM
Hmm.. taron dude, i didn't understand...
the taron feel atempt is a tribute.. plus as u can see i didn't really put much into this image so aside from the colors its really nothing ..

HAHA, sorry, no sweat, I'm just joking around....never claimed to be good at that!
Plus you did a good job!
I guess I'm just trying to get out of a sketched revenge...hehehe :beer: :wip:

Opeth
09-18-2004, 09:40 AM
hehehe wait for a good topic to sneak it in :)

TheTon
09-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Hey there people!!
Well it would seem that after what seems like an age, I have finally decided to stop browsing and get amongst it. Yes I know I am several decades late or something but hey, bear with me, I'm the new boy...!

Here's my "Run for your life" sketch. It took 2 hours in Photshop on a wacom the size of a postage stamp...

Hope ya like it.

Cheers!

The Ton

http://www.mattyv.f2s.com/index101.jpg

Supervlieg
09-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Hey nice one, the Ton, I like the buildup of the page. I also like that you stuck with blue througout the whole thing.

Ach, I still need to do one for this topic, but the avatar fight club ate my entry.

Alice
09-22-2004, 11:14 PM
And we love you for it supervlieg :D

robinayles
09-23-2004, 02:34 PM
REally nice Ton! Great work, I like the blue throughout too.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.