PDA

View Full Version : a....moderators take note!! suggestion

rob-beddall
09-15-2004, 08:11 AM
hey!!
i just had an idea.
for these mini comps i think it would be a good idea if we could have a temporary F.A.Q post sticky'd at the top. covering stuff that is relevant to that particular competition.
for example.... for this competition it's pretty obvious that your are going to have to use alpha maps in the viewport. so i need to know thew correct way to do this. but it means i have to trawl through the software specific forum to try and find out. and even then it might not be the right way for a game model.
so how about it?

just a suggestion.

cheers!!

ElysiumGX
09-15-2004, 07:46 PM
for this competition it's pretty obvious that your are going to have to use alpha maps in the viewport. so i need to know thew correct way to do this. but it means i have to trawl through the software specific forum to try and find out.
It should not be difficult to find instructions for alpha maps in Max6. It's as simple as designing an alpha channel, or alpha map...then setting the correct properties in Max's "complex beyond reason" material editor. I would suggest sifting through the software specific forums using the search button. Moderators are busy people. Bobo is busy with contract work it seems, and Bent is busy polishing "the game", and afterwards slipping into a coma. If all else fails, try pressing F1.

ElysiumGX
09-15-2004, 07:58 PM
Since I'm a nice guy and have a few seconds of free time, this is what I found.

In the material editor, place the texture on the diffuse channel.
Make a copy from the diffuse channel to the opacity channel.
In the opacity channles some settings must be made:
Mono channel output: set to "Alpha"
Alpha source : "Image Alpha"
In the diffuse channel you need to set Alpha source to "None"

Something like that. Double check, because I stopped using Max a long time ago. Oh, and I believe this requires using 32 bit targa files with an alpha channel.

rob-beddall
09-16-2004, 04:42 AM
hey!!
thanks for the reply.

i eventually got it to work that way from searching the forums. it just seemed abit strange that you would have to put it in the opacity channel when there is an alpha attached to the image in the first place. recently made the change from maya and the max material editor does seem a little strange at first.

oh well.

and i appreciate that meds are busy but if one does manage to see this then how about changing it so that the most recent posts are first. instead of the way it is at the moment

cheers!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.