PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever Trailer

Leonard
08-09-2002, 03:25 PM
Recipe for Hollywood Blockbluster:

Hot athletic Asian chick (Lucy Liu) + Latin Lover (Antonio Banderas) + Guns + Sci-Fi theme (high tech assassination device) + big practical explosions + post = Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever

Trailer is online at:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/ecks_vs_sever/

L.

allenlikewo
08-09-2002, 04:24 PM
PHAT!!

froggyplat
08-09-2002, 04:35 PM
what a bunch of PAP.
which act do they fall in love...2nd or 3rd?

flamedevil
08-09-2002, 04:39 PM
BOOM BOOM BOOM
:insane: :insane: :insane:

:shrug:

All we have to do now is waiting.

Vic3k
08-09-2002, 05:55 PM
you know, i'm getting tired of hollywood and other productions, and so of the vfx that are used in complete vacume of ideas

OrestesMantra
08-09-2002, 07:56 PM
Most movies based off games are crappy, but this one looks really kickass.

Im not a fan of Lucy Liu though...*shrugs*

JFrench
08-09-2002, 08:45 PM
1. HOLLYWOOD hasn't put out anything good since the 70's.

2. This is the directors first movie.

3. This is the writers first non-TV series.

Blend well with a cheesy plot and too many 3D elements and you have the perfect recipe for a terrible movie.
But seriously, I am very sceptical of this being anything but lame. You never know until you see it though, but those are my thoughts at this point in time.

allenlikewo
08-09-2002, 08:52 PM
I agree with you on the game thing and I also agree that it could suck.

But...I like the look of the movie (lots of guns, explosions, little bit of kung fu, hot asian chick, etc...) therefore I am not going to assume that it sucks until I see it (or see more preiviews that lead me to believe that it sucks).

JFrench
08-09-2002, 10:28 PM
All of allenlikewo's reasons for it being a good movie are the reasons I am not looking forward to it. Do we really need more of those elements? I've seen enough.

PhilOsirus
08-09-2002, 10:37 PM
How un-Matrix:P

kdub
08-09-2002, 11:07 PM
I agree that it might suck ass but as many have said, I'll need to see it first. I'm no big fan of Lou, but for Antonio all i have to say is Desperado, a classic all violence, fun to watch, kick ass movie. so maybe there is hope.

JFrench, not that you are completely wrong but:

1. It is way too cliche, to say american movies are shit. And I would love to know what this movie that came out in the 70's that you think was so brilliant. I'm sorry that you can't enjoy a good movie.

2. American Beauty was Mendes(sp) first movie too.

3. Unless the writer is the director, the movie could go either way, the director can make quick changes to crappy dialogue and plot, so that should not be a big concern.

skortch
08-10-2002, 02:17 AM
"1. It is way too cliche, to say american movies are shit. And I would love to know what this movie that came out in the 70's that you think was so brilliant. I'm sorry that you can't enjoy a good movie."

I don't know that Hollywood hasn't come out with anything good since the 70's (Raging Bull came out in 1980, didn't it? Heh heh), but it's hard to compete with a list like:

Godfather 1 and 2, Chinatown, The Deer Hunter, The Conversation, Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, Blazing Saddles, The Last Picture Show, Annie Hall, Nashville, One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest, etc. I'm pretty sure most of those were big studio productions. The 70's rocked!

Now there are too many big budget cliche's, and too often you have to look outside of mainstream cinema to find something good.

JamesDeschenes
08-10-2002, 02:37 AM
Maybe it's just me but I liked the 80's and early 90's for good movies.

Theres the arnold crop of action-packed fun movies :) such as Predator and Commando... but the King of Action and wickedness would have to be T2: Judgement day

also... Blade Runner anyone? great movie :thumbsup:

Also.. personally I think this new movie looks to be.. hrmm.... how can I say it nicely :D
'not up to par with Blade Runner' :p

Kaz
08-10-2002, 04:53 AM
This movie looks pretty cool. As for post 70's movies
How bout:
All the Indiana Jones movies?
The Matrix?
Silence of the Lambs?
Saving Private Ryan?
Shawshank Redemption?
Schindlerís List?
Desperado?
The list goes on...

LucentDreams
08-10-2002, 06:54 AM
alll I can think of when watching this trailer is Howcome I don't remeber seeing a man faling off the top of my local library ;) Serously the officer falling off the uilding, the two guys laying the rain of bullets on Sever and her jumping under all the glass, it just screams another "Vancouver supposed to be some great american city" city.

JFrench
08-10-2002, 07:06 AM
Skortch said it exactly! Right on.

Kaz, the list does not go on. Desperado should not be in the same list as such greats as Silence of the Lambs. Schindlers List is great, but too many people worship it. Its not THAT spectacular. I don't even want to get in to the rest of your list.

James Deschenes:
Blade runner? How unoriginal was that. VERY. I've been to pannels with the top 11 guys behind the making of that movie so I understand how spectacular the effects were and especialy with their budget and recources...but the story is such generic sci-fi.... and those movies you mentioned are Arnolds best...but not cinemas best.

Just another reminder, i'm not here to cause a ruckus, i'm just stating my oppinion and I don't mean to offend anyone.

Oh, and even if it is a cliche to say american movies are shit, there is plenty of truth behind. But that is a whole other discussion altogether, and unrelated to CG.

dvornik
08-10-2002, 07:47 AM
Banderas used to play in Almadovar's movies... Am I wrong? But then McGregor played in Trainspotting and Shallow Grave... Oh well. They gotta make a living somehow, right?

P.S. I think Desperado is way better and less cynical than Shindler's List - just mention it because someone tried to compare them before. I prefer El Mariachi though.

lildragon
08-10-2002, 10:37 AM
Heheh you guys debate about everything :) the simple *logical* solution would be, if you don't like it, umm don't watch it... tada!!! problem solved ;)

salud!

dvornik
08-10-2002, 10:40 AM
Works for me. Hollywood lost thousands of dollars on me. Doesn't seem to affect it though.

santiago
08-10-2002, 12:15 PM
I just saw the trailer.
Well, ever since Star Wars Episode I, I can't help fearing that the trailer will be better than the actual movie.
One thing I'd like to say about american films is that they make too many sequels, and prequels. Well, Lucas has the excuse that he had it all planned out long ago, in a galaxy far far away. That's why I love Lord of the Rings so much, it is a genuine trilogy, which didn't have to give the first part an ending in fear that there might not be money for part two, instead it was faithful to the story itself.

Did I just blab out something horendously ignorant, offending millions of Star Wars fans? I hope not, I accept that I know little about the Star Wars universe, even though Star Wars was the first movie I ever saw in theatres.

Anyway.
I don't see Banderas in that kind of a role.
Those camera shots look awesome.
I don't see anything interesting plot-wise in the trailer, it just reminds me a bit of Face Off, with a Matrix flavor. The little screens somehow reminded me of Spawn, don't remember how though. Everything in that trailer reminds me of other movies.

Another thing, this is way off topic, but I thought I'd post it anyway, how come sci-fi movies focus so much on technology of the future, is that the only thing that advances throughout time?
I found Minority Report a bit shady in that sense, people were exactly the same as now, except for the little kid in the beginning.
Just look at our present day old timers, their youth during the fifties had many differences to current behavior regarded as normal.
Well, then again, nowadays nothing can be expected as normal.

I long to see a sci-fi movie as beautiful as Lord of the Rings. Like it were a painting, it just fills you with emotions.

Hey lildragon, what's so wrong about sharing thoughts on films?
I know... maybe cause this is a CG forum?
I just felt like posting something like this guys, I'm sorry.

lildragon
08-10-2002, 12:23 PM
not saying anything is wrong with it, I just find it funny that the things that are personal preferences are always debated on, no one will ever win :)

It's like Ebert & Roeper, those two are always at each other's throats over personal choices about a film... I mean they get paid millions to bicker over something neither of them can change, heh what a world...

anyhoo, plus yes you're right it's a cgforum but c'est la vie, boys will be boys ;)

salud!

OrestesMantra
08-10-2002, 04:54 PM
Theres not much else to do on a message board:beer:

lildragon
08-10-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by OrestesMantra
Theres not much else to do on a message board:beer:

heheh

MacRonin
08-11-2002, 02:29 AM
Good movies beyond the '70s...

Big Trouble In Little China (best American kung-fu movie ever!)

The Razors Edge (Bill Murray in a serious drama)

How To Get Ahead In Advertising (well worth looking for in the video store. "Where's the briefcase, Boil?")

Legend (beautiful cinematography, but what would one expect from Ridley Scott? As for Blade Runner, it is the only decent movie that ever came from a Phil Dick book.)

Just a few off of the top of my head...

JFrench
08-11-2002, 02:34 AM
lildragon:

I'm not having this discussion to win...and I doubt other people here are either. I think we are all doing it in fun. At least I am.

Pinky_Powers
08-11-2002, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by JFrench
1. HOLLYWOOD hasn't put out anything good since the 70's.

If that is how you feel, then I have NO Dout that you will not like this movie, nor any movie to come in the feature. If some of the worlds greatest movies (which have come out sence the 70s, like LOTR, Jurassic Park 1, The Matrix etc..) have not impressed you, then you should probably stop watching movies, because Hollywood isn't going to make any more movies with poor filming, poor Special FX, and bad gun play like they did in nearly all 70 movies.

Now, with that said, I should let you all know, that I think also that this movie may suck big time, but it has some potencial.

santiago
08-11-2002, 05:40 AM
I liked Willow, that was an 80's movie. I think it was very inspirational for me. If someone told me that Willow sucked... I guess I'd wrinkle my forehead thinking "why?"

How about Toy Story 2? The whole movie was fun to watch.

You know, I was just reading this spanish forum post, about an all CG movie made in Spain called "El Bosque Animado". As they were critiquing the movie, most of them said it sucked, someone mentioned that Spanish film making is bad in general. And immediately everyone else started answering back, defending the Spanish film industry.
I think that for much as that may be true, what really sucked was the post dissing the Spanish film industry.
I think we should be more careful with what we post, misunderstanding is so easy.

santiago
08-11-2002, 05:51 AM
But...I like the look of the movie (lots of guns, explosions, little bit of kung fu, hot asian chick, etc...)

All of allenlikewo's reasons for it being a good movie are the reasons I am not looking forward to it. Do we really need more of those elements? I've seen enough.

I agree with JFrench on that, is it so hard to make a truly original story? How many more new movies will come out looking like some Matrix-Jackie Chan-Sixth Sense-whatever style?
Maybe if we take away all the non-original movies out of the Box Office we'll be able to see what the true size and power of high quality Hollywood films has to offer. I also don't think that if we take away all the non-original movies we'd just be left with subtitled European flics. I think the European movies can be awesome, but I would try to avoid suggesting stereotypes.

Wasn't Forest Gump a good movie? I think it was phenomenal.

JFrench
08-11-2002, 06:41 AM
People shouldn't have taken what I said originaly so literaly. By no good movies since the 70's I meant mostly that, but there are always exceptions.

Pinky Powers:
If lots of special effects mean a good movie to you, then you must be in heaven, but I think a lot more needs to go into a movie for it to be entertaining. Nothing against you though. :)
Also, there are good movies coming out and will continue coming out that I can enjoy. Plenty of great movies don't come out of Hollywood. Every movie by Jean-Pierre Junet for example.

santiago:
I totaly agree with you that american movies have way too many sequals. And recently Hollywood has shown us that if they make a 'part II', there is a 'part III' coming too. Arg!!!

In this day in age it is hard to have something COMPLETELY original. So much has already been done that if you pick anything apart deep enough, you can find similarities all over the place. But when I see another movie with all of the elements of this one, I wonder if they are even trying at all in this case to write something new.

dmonk
08-11-2002, 04:22 PM
Imgoing to see tis flicks.

If it sucks, then no harm. Nothing ventured nothing gain.
if I like it, well good for me.

It's one thing to have a critical eye, but i think people lose focus of the big picture. You either went to see a flick and enjoyed the movie or not. People are shooting this movie down before it even gets a chance to show wetehr it sucks or not. I think people should give it a chance go to the theater early on a saturday and spend $5 o a matinee ticket. If you hate, you just spent $5 to go on any forum you want and rip the movie to shreads. If you like it you spent $5 to see a good flick, no big deal.

OrestesMantra
08-11-2002, 09:17 PM
Some people have seen so many movies they see them has a collection of moving pictures ready to be critiqued and not as a form of entertainment....

Pinky_Powers
08-11-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by JFrench
Pinky Powers:
If lots of special effects mean a good movie to you, then you must be in heaven, but I think a lot more needs to go into a movie for it to be entertaining. Nothing against you though. :)
Also, there are good movies coming out and will continue coming out that I can enjoy. Plenty of great movies don't come out of Hollywood. Every movie by Jean-Pierre Junet for example.

I'm not really offended at what you said, but I must clearify. I did not mean that those elements where what made a great movie. Infact, the movies I mentioned (LOTR, Jurassic Park 1, and The Matrix) are all movies I love becaues of STORY, Jurassic Park fed my childhood dream of seeings Dinosaurs, The Matrix had one of the most original storys I had EVER heard, and I loved it for that. And Lord of the Rings is simply the most amazing movie I may ever see because of, one - Story, 2 - the atmosphere created by the visuals and the acting and the filming put together. I have VERY high standards on what makes a movie GREAT. However, there are plenty of movies I really enjoy that are not very story driven, or may have bad acting in them, but I simply find them entertaining. Like Triple X, and this movie Ballistic.They may have poor quality acting and story, and may be a clone of many other movies before them, but will still find them entertaining. It is not a problem to have a bunch of clone like movies coming out, as long as the EXELENT ones come out without too long of a time in beetween. To judge every movie like it was ment to be LOTRs quality is not healthy, LOL just enjoy the simple movies and wait for The Two Towers to come out :):beer:

JFrench
08-11-2002, 11:28 PM
Those are good points Pinky Powers. I agree that a movie doesn't need to be full of amazing features to be enjoyable. I enjoy watching Schwarzenegger movies (some!) and terrible horror movies like dead alive, basket case, reanimator, etc. What it comes down to, is if you were entertained, then to you its a good movie. So with that said, i'll leave you folks to talk about the movie at hand. Its been fun.

CG talk is about the only forum i've seen where people could have a discussion like this without people getting greatly offended and saying $#@%(# every other word! :)

Enjoy.

SpaceRabbit
08-12-2002, 01:55 AM
Bladerunner is an excellent example of taking a simple story that isn't really original and making something extraordinary out of it. A simple story told well is brilliant. A more modern example is the Red Violin, a simple story told in a unique way.

In terms of the 70's being the greatest decade for film, I don't know about that. Every decade since the inception of film has produced greats for thier time.

Unfortunately the late 90's and early 2000's have been turning out rubbish based on marketing data, not art. Good film is fewer and far between now.

Just my 2 cents, take em for what thier worth.

playmesumch00ns
08-12-2002, 10:47 AM
It's interesting talking about this with the recent directors' poll on the greatest movies of all time. Not really surprising which film came out on top (!)

Was anyone else slightly bored by Kane? Perhaps it's just coming from a different era of film-making, I found the pace a little slow.

Most of the films on that top-ten were 70's or earlier or foreign(Kane, Godfather, 8 1/2, La Regle du Jeu, Tokyo Story), the latest one being Raging Bull, which someone already mentioned.

I agree that Hollywood simply provides entertainment. Even Hollywood 'greats' often fall into that category and (often unfairly) are not regarded as "film" to those with snooty noses.

As far as our industry goes I think it's a wonderful thing that Hollywood keeps on rolling out the crap: if it wasn't for the demand for FX to fill in for actual content in modern movies we might be out of a job. There's only 3 LOTR after all.

You only need to look at movie-goers' top-ten lists to see that we have a bright future as FX-loaded cheese normally wins out (If I remeber correctly, Titanic usually takes the top-spot).

I don't see any point in moaning at the lack of quality film-making in Hollywood these days. It's always been about money, ever since RKO made 'King Kong', they've simply got better at getting bums-in-seats: the general public after all does want something familiar as then they know they're guaranteed to enjoy it on some level.
It's not really fair to attack Hollywood for Joe Public's lack of film-savvy. After watching American Beauty (which I consider to be one of Hollywood's better offerings recently) with a group of 'average' cinema-goers, most of them commented "I didn't like it"/"What was that all about?"/"I didn't get it"/"That cheerleader chick was hot" etc...

moovieboy
08-14-2002, 02:15 AM
Wow, first I'm going through a thread on writing for animation shorts... Now I'm seeing a well-rounded discussion on films and story... Warms my filmmaker's heart :D

Many good points in here, but to add a couple more:

Whenever us screenwriters out here in L.A. get together for a meeting or coffee, we inevitably whack on Hollywood's fear of originality...

Hollywood lives and dies on fear. Each executive does not want to be the person who said "yes" to a film that costs the studio a hundred million dollars or more, so they seek out safer bets.

So, what looks safer to them? This original idea that may or may not work... Or something from a bestselling book, game, TV show, old movie, sequel, prequel, remake or because Spielberg wants to make it?

Remember, Village Roadshow and Warner Bros had no real idea that the Matrix was going to be anything more than a potential waste of $60 million on a couple of crazy guys who had a $5 million budget last time, doing a lesbian heist film for crying out loud!...

Although, that ties more into this other problem: Many producers/studio exectutives/VPs are complete idiots. If they can't understand your idea from the get go, then it must not be very good. How can they possibly sell something that takes more than 2 minutes to explain? Blah blah blah... :)

In the end, the only thing we as creators, or we as audience members can hope for is that neither side stops looking for something beyond "The Fast and the Lethal Weapon Attack of the Aliens vs. Predators III."

Hmmmm. Mel Gibson, Vin Diesel and Aliens... Get me their agents, Stat! I've got a new idea to pitch at them! :D

-Tom

P.S. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a Sundance Film's trailers and posters to work on for the Producers by (EEK!) Thurs! :eek:

santiago
08-14-2002, 09:25 AM
Interesting thread.
I like the focus on entertainment.
I do hope that Hollywood realizes that we are okay with crap movies coming out, they entertain anyway, besides, it's only ten bucks to watch a movie once... BUT, at least some of us greatly prefer high-quality stories. I think it'd be great to be able to go to the cinemas once a week to see a really awesome movie, the kind that makes you actually feel fear or laughter, or excitement.
Maybe the reason why there are so many crapy movies coming out is cause they know that we don't mind, so they don't make any effort in doing anything better.

I also wonder about something, this might be a stupid question... why do animation houses demand that animators applying to work there have to create original stories and animate them? I can understand the fact that an animation has to be made, that's obvious, I can also understand that the animation shouldn't be just flying logos or walking characters, we have to demonstrate that we understand how to tell a story. But, why do we have to create original stories ourselves? Why should that be an advantage? Shouldn't that be expected of a screenwriter?
Do animators already working in studios spend time writing stories?
I dunno. I've written stories myself, I enjoy creating stories, but when it comes to preparing a demo reel, and the story has to be a couple of minutes at most, and I like epic sci-fi stuff, so the stories I imagine are often too long and big to do myeslf... so why?
Maybe all of that is just to see how creative we are.
I think that if we're demanded to be so creative, why can't movies on the Box office be at least as creative as well.
The answer is probably that it's all about the money...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.