PDA

View Full Version : Short skateboarding animation

kettlebrains
09-15-2004, 05:54 AM
http://vfs.com/~3d42brian/Skate01_sm.avi
AVI, 1.2mb ** right click and save as...

Im trying to come up with a new animation reel with a bunch of clips and this is the first one i completed during one of my rare days off work. It took half a day to model the environment and animate the whole thing. Any advice/criticism is appreciated. Oh yeah I used XSI.

Thanks.

SheepFactory
09-15-2004, 06:10 AM
I am in a rush so this will be short but i'll come back and finish it :)

- His pelvis doesnt move at all , he jumps from a distance and lands on the table , there is no way you can keep the pelvis straight , should be more loose to show weight.

kettlebrains
09-15-2004, 06:27 AM
Actually I did...the knees bend slightly on both landings. Maybe straightening the legs more before the landing would make it read more??

And I've been watching skate videos and you barely see the hips move down when they land.
They might crouch on the landing for stylistic purposes but if they keep riding and hit trick after trick their hips barely move when they land. Ive seen people hit tricks into nose manuals and yeah, their hips barely move I guess to keep the balance.
But yeah I'll straighten the legs out before he lands.

Peace

SheepFactory
09-15-2004, 05:16 PM
well you are not trying to rotoscope the skaters , Animation needs exaggeration to read clearly.

Crusty_Butt
09-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Right at the start I thought it lacked character and felt like I was watching someone play the tony Hawk video game. But then the flip, slide etc.. was really well done and I was impressed. Not sure if anyone else would get this hit off it, but I think you should do something to make it look less like the video game. Maybe making a more dramatic beginning would do this. Start with the character at the edge looking down the bench, switch to a closeup of the character's face to show what is going through his head what he contemplates what he is about to do (fear or maybe crazy with eyes pointing different directions, salivating, whatever...) then show the trick.

morptrix
09-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Nicely done.. I really like the push-off and the end off the trick..
I dont know about the kickflip-noseslide-thinghy though..
Looks a bit like the board find its own way onto the bench.. Instead of being pushed over there..

kettlebrains
09-16-2004, 08:20 AM
Yeah I moved the pelvis up before the landing and down a bit more after and yeah I think it reads more now.

So heres what I got now...in constant mode...so if you guys have any advice on the poses please tell me.
http://vfs.com/~3d42brian/Skate01_sm_constant.avi
AVI, 800kb ** right click and save as...

Haha yeah the board does look like it just finds its way onto the table.

Peace.

To crusty_butt, good idea, but I wanna get this done quick and start working on other animations.

skipstah70
09-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Kettle .. nice work dude mon. I think your general idea is cool. . A few comments on the animation however! I think the acceleration after the first push is a bit jarring .. maybe soften it up a bit? ALso ...the board slows down a bit right after he accelates there ( on wheels it wouldn't so quickly?) . The trick / landing and balance are vice .. special kudos on the actual board flip and timing. (that a'int easy to do !) Maybe one thing after the landing... The balancing seems to be only conveyed in the upper body, maybe a bit more dramatic hip balancing would help sell it .. Over all good stuff though. Nice "cartoony" 3d style !!Skipstah

Vialpalooza
09-17-2004, 07:04 AM
Overall I think that this animation is looking really good.
there is only one thing that caught my eye right from the start. I have never see anyone come out of a nose slide w/such a prefect manual. When people are trying to catch there balance like when landing a trick in a manualing they tend to control the board using there foot which in this case would be his back foot so mabye have him moving his back foot at the begining of the manual even the slightest bit forward or backward will definatly ad to the realism.
Other than that looking good man.

Game-boi
09-20-2004, 10:14 PM
I have never see anyone come out of a nose slide w/such a prefect manual...

I agree 100%! The transition from the slide to manual is too perfect. Trying playing with the balance of the character. This would be a really good place to exaggerate. At the very least, the back end of the board needs to bob. Right now it's too perfect.

Also, the push at the beginning is odd, but this might be due to the camera work. It seems as though he slows down shortly after pushing off. the camera work in general looks like it's trying to be handheld, but we know it isn't. The effect doesn't really work. If I were you, I would rather see camera work that you wouldn't see in skate videos. Get in closer! Move the camera around, don't just rotate! Really think about camera animation as a part of the overall piece. If done right, it'll really push your animation. You got a good start, time to polish.

-Chris

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.