PDA

View Full Version : Little Shake Questions

ACIDman_BC
09-15-2004, 02:55 AM
I had an opportunity to use Shake at work for a while, and I have a few questions now:
1) I rendered a scene with alpha channels to TIFF (or later to Targa) files with alpha channel on. Now I wanna use that alpha channel in a script - what do I use to mix it with some background or other clips? I've tried using AddMix but weird - alpha channel works but the image itself is black and white?...

I'll add other questions as they pop in my head. Thanks!

Aneks
09-15-2004, 03:11 AM
the most common composite node in Shake is the over node, this uses the typical A over B or FG x alpha + (BG x (alpha x -1)) composite math.

I suggest that you have a look at the manuals and the tutorials that come with shake before trying any other compositing tasks. They should provide all the information you need. Also take the time to read the Brinkman course material too !

ACIDman_BC
09-15-2004, 03:21 AM
Thanks!

By the way, help file is one of the things I want to point out - the way it's written is so halarious :).
"As we can see, her shirt is transparent in some places (that isn't a sentence you can typically find in a manual, is it?)"
:D.

Apple rocks!

Aneks
09-15-2004, 04:20 AM
I know what you mean. But these manuals were written by someone back in the old nothing real days ...the old versions of the manuals were much more entertaining. In fact when shake came out for mac I noticed some of my favourite lines were missing. Typical apple coporate spin !

alexx
09-15-2004, 01:07 PM
my favourite parts from the old 2.46 manuals:

If your Supervisors say it is fine to use the sky as a bluescreen, shoot them. Not the sky, the Supervisors. Immediately. No Court in Los Angeles will convict, but you may have trouble in non-film industry States or countries.

Keying DV footage
First of all, what the hell is wrong with you, trying to key off of DV? Now with that obligatory yelling out of the way, let's see what we can do to salvage the situation.

cheers

alexx

beaker
09-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Yea, I miss Peter's manuals, they were fun to read. I think Ron contributed to them too because he also adds humor to his compositing book in a similar way.

ant-
09-16-2004, 10:42 AM
more manuals should be written like this. It has almost everything you need to know in there, not just how to do the basics.

my favourite quote " This tree involves a lot of masking. Remember, Roto is your friend. Not a very fun friend. Actually, a more accurate description would be "Roto is a painful experience up there with bone-marrow transplants, but as equally vital in some situations". "

Ross Forster
09-16-2004, 11:05 AM
hehe, it has to be one of best reads I've ever gotten from a manual. It was never boring.:D

maxx10
09-16-2004, 01:10 PM
now (ver 3.5) it says:

These images bring up an important tip for compositors: If your supervisors say it is fine to
use the sky as a blue screen, ignore them.

this one is intact:
First of all, what is wrong with you, trying to key off of DV footage? Now with the obligatory
yelling out of the way, letís see what can be done to salvage this dismal situation.

not as much as hilarious but still more witty than most manuals

alexx
09-16-2004, 03:46 PM
oh man come on.. it lost about all of the fun :)

what a pitty. i guess apple fears the troubles they could get if a compositor -really- kills his supervisor..
this can only happen in america, where you can sue someone for selling hot coffe or manuals that lack the part: "dont dry your cat in it" :/

cheers

alexx

ant-
09-16-2004, 04:08 PM
lol thats very true, but they could always put a little star with a disclaimer*

I think we need someone (with more time than me) to create alternative versions of manuals in the ilk of nothing reals. And not just computer software. Can you imagine if that flat pack shelving unit had the line. "Put shelf 'A' over bracket 'C' and if its wonkey you have obviously not used a spirit level. now go and call a proffesional you DIY loser"

*All statements are false, full of lies and never trust anything i say. Failure to do so could lead to headaches and nuasia, All trademarks are owned by there respective companies dog, fido

Aneks
09-19-2004, 06:49 AM
I know its a sad and geekiy confession. But I always had a soft spot for the humor of these manuals. I especially liked the "shoot your vfx super" bit. it's soo encouraging to know that there are more geeks out there just like me !

I really think this kind of humor helps make the subject matter palatable. I remeber years ago when I started teaching Maya I took a lot of insperation for the shake manuals and tried to inject humor into my tutorials. i think it helped ease some of the dryness of the course.

I am begining to find vfx very demanding and stressful, due to workloads and the general 'burnout' factor and I look back on this kind of stuff with a real fondness !

arvid
09-23-2004, 12:06 PM
I just found this thread, but I just had to agree with Aneks, and add another quote or two :)
These are a series of scripts playing with Text treatments, stored as doc/cook/scripts/car_ad_text.shk, numbers 1 through 8. If skillfully blended into a car ad, these renders lead people to believe that the purchase of a luxury SUV getting the gas economy of a Sherman tank and designed for the rugged and wild paved city streets is a really good way to dispose of $42,000.
Macro found in doc/cookbook/macros. This is used in an emergency to fill in a missing frame when you have to go to film in, say, two minutes. It takes the frames next to the missing frame and averages them together. Don't tell anybody you are using this, you will get fired.

ant-
09-23-2004, 03:21 PM
talking of the second quote there, they should have used that on jurrasic park, right near the end a velocoraptor disapears from between the teranasaurases teeth for 1 single frame, iwonder if anyone did get fired for that?

ACIDman_BC
10-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Well.. I guess, laws limit the GOOD. At least, they could've thrown it on some author's website as a number of tutorials, or something.

I can upload the old Help file on my server if people still want to read it :).

boboroshi
10-14-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah. I do miss those manuals. Especially at 3am when i'm like "WTF?!?!?" *sniff*

As far as learning the math behind it, I think everyone should be required to read Ron Brinkmann's book. The other one "Compositing for Video and FIlm" is pretty good too (don't ahve theme here on the client site right now).

But understanding *why* you would use an over node as opposed to an iAdd node is key to being a good compositor. Alot of it is trial and error ("[expletive string delted] WHY WON'T THIS [expletive] SHADOW PASS WORK!?!?!?!?!"), btu that's the fun part :)

boboroshi
10-14-2004, 10:52 PM
This is about the extent of humor left in Shake:

http://boboroshi.com/images/forum_images/ifeellucky.jpg

You bet I feel lucky! Just wait until I try to quickpaint something!

(Yes. I just went and tossed shake on my old ass powerbook to get a screen capture of an error dialog box. Stop judging me ;) )

devdoka
10-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Yea, I miss Peter's manuals, they were fun to read. . Is Peter Wagner, still workin for shake?
I think I saw him this year at IBC (http://www.ibc.org) at apple`s both,
but I wasnt sure because its been a while, since I last met him.

kag122
10-25-2004, 02:52 AM
Ok since this has gone waaay off topic for you and nobody can answer this simple question, i'll do it.

You can use mattes from other images using the switchmatte node or the copy node, they are both under the layer tab

Aneks
10-25-2004, 06:58 AM
thanks kyle,

i thought i did answer the question in the second post !!?!?

kag122
10-26-2004, 12:19 AM
yes you did:) sorry I was being an ass and giving the straight foward easy answer :P

blacknight
10-28-2004, 10:37 PM
one of my favorite quotes fron the old manual has to be this one

You might think a color-based key would work, but basically everything is a shade of blue, so that won't do. Go sit in the corner. What were you thinking?
i dident like when they change the manual that way, its was soo much fun to read it how it was

tom_z8
10-30-2004, 01:21 PM
I`m using shake for days and now I`m looking for blending modes like "darken", "lighten", "multiply",...

thx

beaker
10-30-2004, 03:23 PM
Layer or multilayer?

The manual is really usefull for looking up basic stuff like this. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.