PDA

View Full Version : any lightwave to xsi translation pdfs?

Gkaine
09-15-2004, 12:58 AM
anyone know if they exhist? i only know lightwave at this point and im starting at vfs in febuary, i just downloaded the trial version of softimage and im gonna try and learn the basics but im having trouble doing it with these other tutorials. i want it do to what i want ! and its not ! :P
if anyone knows of a link with a pdf that shows lightwave to xsi that would be great.

can you resize and move things freely in xsi ? or is it all done by using transform x,y,z buttons? in lightwave you can just pull it up and down and it resizes, but in xsi it seems like i have to click x to stretch it verticly then go back and click z to stretch it horizontaly, also what is the hotkey to rotate the perspective window :D sorry for all the newb questions

titaniumdave
09-15-2004, 01:15 AM
can you resize and move things freely in xsi ?
What do you mean by freely? Each mouse button represents a different axis left is for x for example. You can have your cursor anywhere and hold the left mouse button and move in x withouth haveing to go into the main control and click x. For pan, rotate, zoom in perspective hold s and use one of the mouse buttons. I recommend that you do the tutorials and softimage.com and get the vtms and 3dbuzz.com to get you started quicker.

wrosado
09-15-2004, 02:01 AM
try this:

http://www.xsibase.com/tutorials/beginner.php?detail=192

I just finished my 30 days evaluation and bought xsi. I'm a lightwave user but just fell in love with xsi's workflow.

It's a great program. You can do most of everything you do in lightwave and more... Don't be afraid to just jump in and start pressing buttons and playing. I got comfortable with the UI and flow in a matter of days.

hope the pdf helps.

wr

T4D
09-15-2004, 02:16 AM
That PDF is great wrosado

Dstorm has a plugin for lightwave that will export XSI files
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/object.htm work prefect :thumbsup:

and the point oven plugin people are working on a XSI convertor
In case you want to render in LW Tho Mental ray is pretty super:eek:

XSI is a great app the workflow is excellent :bounce:

wrosado
09-15-2004, 02:26 AM
t4d

Yeah..i think the lwtoxsi pdf is still pretty useful eventho it's for version 3...

so how do you like the bones / rigs that xsi offer. I'm having a blast setting up my character at the moment. I love being able to bone/rig and tweak weights all in one screen/app instead of jumping between modelr and layout.

Also love the uv sub projections...

later

will

Gkaine
09-15-2004, 02:31 AM
great g uys thanks !. the problem i was having with the movement was solved with rightclicking instead of left clicking. :D anyone kno how to rotate around in the perspective window? also i tried hitting + button to get nurbed view but it isnt doing anything.

titaniumdave
09-15-2004, 02:50 AM
s + left mouse button = pan
s + middle mouse button = zoom
s + right mouse button = rotate

coryc
09-15-2004, 02:54 AM
In the perspective view, you can rotate, zoom, and pan by pressing 's' and using the left, middle, and right mouse buttons.

For subD, use the + key on the numeric keypad.

T4D
09-15-2004, 04:43 AM
t4d

Yeah..i think the lwtoxsi pdf is still pretty useful eventho it's for version 3...

so how do you like the bones / rigs that xsi offer. I'm having a blast setting up my character at the moment. I love being able to bone/rig and tweak weights all in one screen/app instead of jumping between modelr and layout.

Also love the uv sub projections...

later

willXSI bones, IK, spine, tail, bone setup are amazing but the constraints, parenting, pivot points, expressions and dynamics are mind blowing !!
and even the simple move, rotate, scale are better :love:
tho i still hit the "t" to move things and forget the hit space bar to select things
but that's not XSI's fault i think it's Lightwave's :D

the surface and render is very complex but im getting a hand of it now
Mental ray is quicker then i was thinking it would be, and the render times dont blow out as much as LW Mental ray is very powerful you have amazing control over all parts of the render :eek:

retinajoy
09-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Hello T4D,

Using the demo, I have been impressed so far with XSI. Finishing off a project at the moment so have had not time to play fully with the XSI modelling side of things. Knowing that you have used LW for sometime, I would like to know how you think the modelling compares to Lightwave? I am going to build a model in XSI that I built in LW to compare workflow, but that won't be for a few more weeks. Any info would be great. Thanks.

wrosado
09-15-2004, 01:26 PM
retina joy

I did a similar comparison between LW and xsi. I modeled objects that in xsi that i usually model in lw and did find some minor differences...

You have to freeze your mesh occasionally... say you're tweaking a lot of points, those transformations get saved in the shapes 'history'. IF you don't freeze, small operations like split edge take forever. At least this has been my experience on my machine. I'm sure it depends on your computers memory and proc speed.

I like the modeling experience in xsi but there are little things i wish it had like spin edges and other little tools but not a big deal at this point. I'm sure there's a plug out there for it.

T4D
09-15-2004, 01:34 PM
yeah need to find or make a spin quad for XSI

I've been doing the basic modeling in lightwave get the shape and flow looking good set the basic surfaces and save in XSI format and in XSI i do the tidy up
the edge, point and polygons tools are simply super:eek:
but i still prefer the quick modeling of lw to get the shape out and worked out it's alittle faster.
but that maybe be i'm still new to XSI.

retinajoy
09-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info wrosado and T4D.

Sil3
09-15-2004, 01:47 PM
I like the modeling experience in xsi but there are little things i wish it had like spin edges and other little tools but not a big deal at this point. I'm sure there's a plug out there for it.

Spinquads and a bunch of other cool stuff :

http://www.mindthink.de/ohm/mt1.0

:thumbsup:

Sil3
09-15-2004, 01:59 PM
That PDF is great wrosado

Dstorm has a plugin for lightwave that will export XSI files
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/object.htm work prefect :thumbsup:

Theres also this one by the great Mark Passion :)

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155041

KillMe
09-15-2004, 03:36 PM
oh those mindthink tools will be great - thanks (if i cant get them installed that is :D )

T4D
09-15-2004, 03:37 PM
mindthink tools ROCK :buttrock:

Gkaine
09-15-2004, 06:51 PM
is there anyway to get your model to be in textured view without the wireframe showing ontop of it, and without a light effecting it so much, like lightwaves perspective window, or do i have to add more lights? the bright spots are to saturated and the dark spots are to dark.

also, eveyrtime i add geometry then go to scale it seems the scale gets its axis's screwed up and its all dutch angle (sorry for the poor explanation). if anyone knows what im talking about feel free to post:P

also what exactly is the point of freeze, what does it do?

and WHY doesnt lightwave have add edges, this tool is just so good ;o

KillMe
09-15-2004, 07:00 PM
well start with what i can answer - freeze kills the history - you'll noticed thigns start to slow now after modeling fora while cause the history is getting to large and complex kill ti and thigns speed up again but yopu can no longer alter your geomtry that that was a lathed spline my altering the spline anymore

cant help with the spot lights thing i only been playing with xsi for a day (like you i'm a lightwaver)

as for your textured well if set to shaded and your object isn't selected then you dont see the edges =/ other than that no idea

Gkaine
09-15-2004, 07:09 PM
hmm i see, i wasnt unselecting the object, and that light on the dark side is really a pain, hopefully there is a way to get a perspective type LW view . have you found a tool like smooth in LW yet ?

thanks for the freeze explination, i never understood it in LW, it just made the mesh incredibly thick.

Sil3
09-15-2004, 08:02 PM
is there anyway to get your model to be in textured view without the wireframe showing ontop of it, and without a light effecting it so much, like lightwaves perspective window, or do i have to add more lights? the bright spots are to saturated and the dark spots are to dark.
Just unselect your model and the wireframe disapears :D

In the same panel where u choose the view modes, thereīs a Display Options, press it and inside itīs PPG scrool down until u see Head Light (Overrides all other lights).

This is usually called the "modeling light mode", a light is attached to the camera, it wont affect shading or rendering, itīs only there to help during the modeling stage.

also, eveyrtime i add geometry then go to scale it seems the scale gets its axis's screwed up and its all dutch angle (sorry for the poor explanation). if anyone knows what im talking about feel free to post:P
Check the modes the tool are in the Transform menu:Global, Local, View etc...

also what exactly is the point of freeze, what does it do?
KillMe already explained it, so... :)

I usually use Immed ON, it deletes the history for me automatically as soon as i finish an operation, very similar to LW, like if there was no history.

Take some time and read XSI Fundamentals, this is all in there :)

and WHY doesnt lightwave have add edges, this tool is just so good ;oNewtek never understood why users asked for a tool like this all these years...now maybe they do... but hey, better late than never right???... :rolleyes:

Gkaine
09-16-2004, 06:01 AM
this thread is already proving to be invaluable to me:)! i really appreciate it guys.
i have another question, where is the mirror and stretch command at, and is there a way to select 4 points and have it make a polygon

Rabid pitbull
09-16-2004, 07:05 AM
This is good stuff here!! I wonder how many users are jumping from lw to xsi.... seems to me that newtek is going to have to make huge changes to reclaim its user base.:shrug: Really stinks having to start from scratch again, cant wait for those dvd's. Sounds like they are excellent and get you into the groove quickly.

Thanks for the lw->xsi tips keep them coming!:thumbsup:

yog
09-16-2004, 07:36 AM
is there a way to select 4 points and have it make a polygonBetter than that. When you use the "N" key to make polygon you can either pick two opposing edges and it'll make a polygon, pick four points to make the polygon, or even one edge and two opposing points. Even better, like Wings by moving the cursor over the mesh it will intelligently either select edges or points, it makes the creation of polygons very fast.

Gkaine
09-16-2004, 08:06 AM
the n thing isnt what i was lookn for. is there anyway to just make 4 points and have it make a polygon? like for example if i cut a hole in a model by deleting a section and i want to change the geometry my making new polygons, is there anyway i can select 4 points and put a new polygon there to fill up the hole

Sil3
09-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Nope, theres are no "floating points" to be connected like in LW, XSI doesnt work like that, use the N tool, the results are the same :)

Labuzz
09-16-2004, 02:09 PM
Hi Sil,
Did you know if there's a plug that does support textures ( plenty...) for importing from Lightwave. I have try the hrc importer and the plug from Mark.
Tky

KillMe
09-16-2004, 04:09 PM
yeah i miss being able to lasso a load of points and jsut make a poly in one keypress too specially since it works in symtrey mode now

oh and about the add edges tool lightwave 8 does have one though tis nowhere enar as good as xsi's its still pretty useful

as for all the lightwavers getting xsi well i dont think most of them are switching as much as theya re adding xsi to there toolkit - certainly how i'm seeing it

Sil3
09-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Hi Sil,
Did you know if there's a plug that does support textures ( plenty...) for importing from Lightwave. I have try the hrc importer and the plug from Mark.
Tky
Textures?

U mean multiple UVīs per object? I havent imported any LW objects with multiple UVīs and the last time i imported them Markīs plug didnīt even existed :)

If u are refering to Procedural textures, then nope, unless u render them to image files.

09-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Any simple explanation about the unit in XSI?
I, too added XSI to my collection only because I started to play arounf with character animation and got stuck with weight map in LW, but XSI weight map is more artist user friendly than LW.
However, I'm an architectural illutration and still need to accurate in the matter of unit. LW is good that it has both Metric and English. But how's about XSI?

Thanks

coryc
09-17-2004, 03:25 PM
I believe the XSI unit is whatever you would like it to be and if I am remembering correctly, I have heard other architecture modelers say they use 1 xsi unit = 10cm. If you have the DVD set, it is mentioned a couple times.

Gkaine
09-17-2004, 06:23 PM
where is the stretch tool? and is there anyway to scale something to where your cursor is and have it flatten out instead of having to pull all the way to a 0 axis. like in lightwave, if you select a row of points then stretch them into eachother they will stop once they are all lined up to where your cursor is. its a bit hard to explain.
whats the deal with no back or left views? also, when you go over to the transform menu on the right and select what axis you want to modify the model in, how do you get it to go back to normal, for example: i wanted to scale something only in X, so i clicked X on the transform panel, but now i cant get it to go back to the free changing of using different mouse buttons, i have to keep going over to the transform panel and clicking an axis.

KillMe
09-17-2004, 08:20 PM
yup i miss scaling to the cursor but no further too - i dont know if you can do it in xsi or not but it seems that you cant use the mouse interactively as the action center for scaling and rotations you can press alt and mvoe your action center adn i think control alt lets you place it anywhere alt well seems to jump around intside the mesh

go to your transform preferences and turn on the manipulators then you can scale on an axis simple by clicking the proxiate axis and if you want all 3 then you clikc in teh middle and 2 axis jsut click near the doohickey on the aproiate plane its alot better than default setting

also if you lock an axis youc an turn them all on with the little 3 blob button under teh s r and t on the panel

Gkaine
09-18-2004, 03:17 AM
i dont want to have to click the axis buttons everytime i wanna move it on a diff axis, i would much rather have it like lightwave where u just move in the specific direction and it constrains the movement, but the 3 button click on xsi (the default ) was fine, i just cant get it back to that way.

Finkster
09-18-2004, 04:10 AM
I don't think you're ever going to get XSI to behave exactly like LW, though you may well get close. Sure, why not continue to do the majority of your modeling work in LW, you can always touch up your models in XSI (n-gons, true edges etc.)?
On a related note, does anyone have good experience exporting models from LW to XSI, how well does it work out? I'm particularly concerned about exporting objects with intact UVs. If anyone has any experiences, good or bad, please let me know.

Roger Eberhart
09-18-2004, 04:18 AM
When transfering files between Max and Lightwave, the Kaydara FBX plugins did a pretty good job of preserving UV's and not totally hosing the mesh. A few flipped faces was the only complaint. I haven't tried using these for Lightwave to XSI yet. Also, check out the dotXSI format. They have plugins for most of the major programs. I used those for transfering a UV'd model from Max to XSI. My only complaint was all the edges were invisible in Max. In case you're wondering why I'm doing all this file converion, I'm stuck with Max 4 at my work.

wmendez
09-18-2004, 04:33 AM
I believe the XSI unit is whatever you would like it to be and if I am remembering correctly, I have heard other architecture modelers say they use 1 xsi unit = 10cm. If you have the DVD set, it is mentioned a couple times.
The following was posted on the mailing list recently regarding the topic of units:

I agree, a unit system would be handy in XSI. In versions prior to 4.0, the gravity was set to 9.81. Obviously this defaulted to the earth gravity assuming that a Softimage Unit equaled 1 meter. However, few model their characters with that scale. 1 unit = 10cm seems closer to what we usually see, and is roughly the scale used by our default rigs and human models which explains the 98.1 (units squared per second).

+ Ronald Beirouti + Animation & Simulation Team Lead

Gkaine
09-18-2004, 04:41 AM
well finkster, vfs teachs xsi, and im attending vfs soon as the thread states, so im trying to figure out how i can become most comfortable in the software before i start learning there

Finkster
09-18-2004, 04:45 AM
When transfering files between Max and Lightwave, the Kaydara FBX plugins did a pretty good job of preserving UV's and not totally hosing the mesh.
Thanks for the tips, I had totally neglected the FBX format as an option. The dotXSI plugins are available from softimage.com I presume? Or do they ship with the package (I'm still finding my way around, obviously)?
You should have a word with your boss, Max4 is how many years old?

Finkster
09-18-2004, 04:47 AM
well finkster, vfs teachs xsi, and im attending vfs soon as the thread states, so im trying to figure out how i can become most comfortable in the software before i start learning there
Hey, congrats man. Best of luck there. I'm sure you'll have some of the best tutors and facilities availabe, getting familiar with XSI will be the least of your problems.

Gkaine
09-18-2004, 05:02 AM
i know man, but i am not risking anything. not being incredible when i get done at vfs is not an option.

wrosado
09-18-2004, 05:04 AM
whats the deal with no back or left views?

Gkaine

there are back and left views... just click(middle or left) the little xyz on the tops of the view ports to get the other views.

wr

Roger Eberhart
09-18-2004, 05:09 AM
Darn, looks like there is no dotXSI for Lightwave yet. Here is the page that shows what is available: http://www.softimage.com/Connect/xsi/FreeConnections.htm. Yeah, Max 4 is a dinosaur. Our producers don't like changing software mid-project, so we'll be stuck with it a bit longer.

wmendez
09-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Darn, looks like there is no dotXSI for Lightwave yet. Here is the page that shows what is available: http://www.softimage.com/Connect/xsi/FreeConnections.htm. Yeah, Max 4 is a dinosaur. Our producers don't like changing software mid-project, so we'll be stuck with it a bit longer.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155041 (showthread.php?t=155041)

Gkaine
09-20-2004, 11:34 AM
where do i find weld ? and what is the process to select points and build polys off them, ex: extender in LW. ive seen a bunchve xsi tutorials using this technique but none of them say how to do it. also, how do you select points and create a polygon from them? ex: in lightwave you could select 4 points and hit P and it would make a poly, is this possible in xsi? and i still cant find mirror !:x

also, is there a way to get xsi moving back to default? instead of making me click the xyz boxes everytime i wanna move it in a diff axis

Finkster
09-20-2004, 10:49 PM
also, is there a way to get xsi moving back to default? instead of making me click the xyz boxes everytime i wanna move it in a diff axisHit the Transform button, on the right-hand toolbar, above S,R,T. From the drop-down list, disable "Enable Transform Manipulators". I think.....

Eugeny
09-28-2004, 05:31 PM
Does any one managed how to export LW models to XSI with UV ? :banghead:
I use the LWExport_dotXSI.p from Mark Wilson (b.t.w. thanx Mark) which export all UVs, but all of them completely distorted ...
FBX plugin not helped at all - i get the model with Spherical texture support ...
OBJ exported from LW Modeler simply freeze XSI :argh:
Any ideas ?

markdc
09-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Does any one managed how to export LW models to XSI with UV ? :banghead:
I use the LWExport_dotXSI.p from Mark Wilson (b.t.w. thanx Mark) which export all UVs, but all of them completely distorted ...
FBX plugin not helped at all - i get the model with Spherical texture support ...
OBJ exported from LW Modeler simply freeze XSI :argh:
Any ideas ?

There is an alternate obj importer on netview (converters). It may work better. Also you can try running your object through uvmapper first (uvmapper.com).

SevenString
09-28-2004, 06:07 PM
edited... nevermind

jerome_123
09-29-2004, 09:10 PM
where do i find weld ?
Not sure what is weld in Lightwave, but you can try the "Filter Points" and the "Weld Points To Target" tools. Weld points to target is a more manual way; select some points, press "weld to target" (you can use the contextual menu), and select the point(s) you want them to weld to. Notice that all modeling tools have a clear and extensive description in the documentation.

and what is the process to select points and build polys off them, ex: extender in LW
Again, not sure (any LW users to help here?). To create a mesh from curves and extrude it, you can try the Create -> Polygon Mesh -> Curves to mesh tool. Or try extrude on polygons, edges and border edges; maybe this is what you are looking for.

how do you select points and create a polygon from them? ex: in lightwave you could select 4 points and hit P and it would make a poly, is this possible in xsi?

The "XSI" way to create a single polygon is the "create polygon tool", and is based on border edges, not points. This works only for border edges, but that's what you want in general... You have some cap hole functions available as scripts (RC tools), with which I think you can select border points and create a polygon. But you can select the border edge loop, and then do Ctrl-D (extrude) and then dissolve... To select the border edge loop, as any other edge loop, middle-click on an edge while pressing the Alt key...

and i still cant find mirror !:x
There is no mirror tool per say in XSI. You can mirror all in 1 shot using "symmetrize polygons" tool; this duplicates the geometry symmetrically (with UVs, etc) and welds the 2 parts together. If you are just moving points, you can create a symmetry map, and move the points in symmetry mode. However this doesn't work when you edit the mesh (modeling operations). You can build a setup where you clone your geometry (Edit -> duplicate -> clone), move it on the side, and do a symmetrize polygons operation on it. This will be your symmetric result, while you model on the original half...

Jerome Couture-Gagnon
XSI Modeling Dev

Lique
09-30-2004, 04:10 PM
and what is the process to select points and build polys off them, ex: extender in LW
i think there's no such thing as extender. There's suppose to be extrude for edge, but it creates polygons, instead of just extending the edge.

I've just tried xsi for 2 days, i must say everything is more technical, compared to lw. Lw have more freedom in modelling, but not as much control as xsi. Heaps of tools!!! workflow is much more neat i might say.

In short, xsi use more 'values' in everything, in lw we dont have to control the values, everything is set freely by draggin "on air"... oh yea, and the most i miss from lw is automatically define the pivot point when u rotate things. Dont have to use 'local' point or adjust a new point.

jerome_123
09-30-2004, 04:57 PM
So what's extender then? I don't know lightwave, but from the link below, selecting border edges, and doing Ctrl-D, and moving / scaling the resulting edges should do just that...
http://www.davidikeda.com/ditools/extender.html

About the pivot, it's not clear to me what you need exactly, but you can try the new pivot feature of v4. Ex:
- Select an object
- Go in rotate mode (press C)
- Press 'Alt' and click on the point where you want the pivot to be

coryc
09-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Extender in LW duplicates points or polys and connects them to the source point/poly. For example, if you have a rectangle and you select 2 points, hit Extender, then move those points they now have a new polygon. I haven't gotten far in my XSI modeling but I think it would be similar to extruding an edge. Some people prefer to model point by point in LW and I think they may have a harder time in XSI working with edges instead of points. XSI is not LW and trying to model function for function in both won't work. A lot of this is covered in the Modeling DVD if you have the training set.

LW automatically sets the pivot for every layer at 0,0,0 and you have to manually move it but I think what he means is the Action Center mode. You can manipulate objects based on the mouse position, the selection center, or the origin center (0,0,0).

jerome_123
09-30-2004, 09:42 PM
I haven't gotten far in my XSI modeling but I think it would be similar to extruding an edge. Some people prefer to model point by point in LW and I think they may have a harder time in XSI working with edges instead of points.Right. In XSI, some operation must be done through edges exclusively, others on polygons exclusively... From what you say, LW is more point-centric, so you will have to get used to the way things are done in XSI. I'm pretty sure most modeling tools have a mapping from LW to XSI, so please ask questions if there are some you don't find...

You can manipulate objects based on the mouse position, the selection center, or the origin center (0,0,0).There are many ways to change the referencial in XSI, by using the many options on the main control panel (on right): Global, Local, Object, COG, View, Plane, use of interactive pivot... The one I use most is Object+COG; object transfo axis (XYZ), but centered at the middle of the selection. However I occasionally use many other combinations, however would be long to write all the which/when/how, but the doc should explain all those very clearly.

coryc
09-30-2004, 09:49 PM
From what you say, LW is more point-centric.
You can be point-centric or poly-centric in LW. Without real edges, most people need to deal with points in some manner but I think the poly modelers will have an easier time making the transition.

policarpo
09-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone.

Things are making a bit more sense with each passing day.

Hey wavers, be sure to use the Transform Tool and activate the PROP button (just below the Global, Local, View) and right click on it and mess with the falloff. It makes tweaking a model very very nice. It's like the Move Tool in LW with a nice falloff. :)

Oh and, e, t, y are your different modes (edge, point, poly) so learn those quickly.
also be sure to check out:Select>Tools in the top menu to see your different selction options. I use F10 a lot.

Oh and, Tap 's' once and use LMB to pan, MMB to zoom, and RMB to rotate in your viewports...

sorry if all of this was already covered. :thumbsup:

xtrm3d
09-30-2004, 11:27 PM
I've just tried xsi for 2 days, i must say everything is more technical, compared to lw. Lw have more freedom in modelling, but not as much control as xsi. Heaps of tools!!! workflow is much more neat i might i would dare to say that you are wrong my friend ..
after one day doodling around in xsi ..
i was able to produce the same modelling work as in lw .. ( used it over 5 year )
right now i modell everything in xsi .. and if the thing continue to go this way with the developemnt of lw.. i dont think that i would ever go back ..
dont want to sound like a fan boy of xsi ..
but i am as fast as in lw .. as confortable with the modelling tool ,
and i have more option ..

now if you want to see my last xsi modelling you can follow the link in my signature ,,
and for my last lw work ..you can goe to my webpage

regards
christophe .

sebek27
10-01-2004, 02:37 PM
xtrm I love your LW work and looks like you are getting very comfortable in XSI ! i just got a job and having a hard time deciding between LW and XSI.. I still can't figure out how to texture in XSI. The texture editor is giving me headaches; much easier to surface in LW.. anyone know of a good tutorial on the texture editor for newbies ? the DVD's that come with XSI will most likely cover it in depth...

xtrm3d
10-01-2004, 02:56 PM
well, merci for the compliment :-)
right now i just have done modelling and some gi rendering in xsi ..
nothing with texturing ..
but i think that should not be so complicated as soon you understand the philosophy behind ..

i really think that one of the biggest mistak lightwave user are doing when they try xsi .. it' s that they expect it to work and have the same function like lightwave ..
something that would not hapen .. cause they are two different application ..

preludian
10-01-2004, 04:06 PM
btw xtrm3d, liked you digital-production articles, wish they would have given you more space though. So are you planning on writing some about xsi in the near future :)

ps: Have you made you threat true, to say goodbye to germany? :sad:

Keep up the good work.

cheers

Lique
10-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Nice work xtrm3d!!, I just have to get used to the workflow. Yes they are 2 totally diff apps. It has opened my eyes just by doing the modelling part. Hope this community grows so we can help each other:)

Cheers

xtrm3d
10-01-2004, 04:57 PM
yes i did ...
i leave germany almost 2 month ago ..
living now in dallas and working at DNA production ,

now concerning my article for der digital production ,
watch out the upcoming issue ,
- i wrote an article about how to make a good show reel .. ( the kind of stuff people want to see.. and most important ,, the stuff they dont want to see at all ..lol )
article backed with an interview from a modelling director

- and a lightwave lightning article ..

and for the issue around december ..
i would write an xsi modelling tuttorial ( in depht , with the tool explained )
and if everything goe well , then a modo review and may be a small tuttorial
+ the 1st of a serie of article about the diferent profession in the cg field ..

sebek27
10-01-2004, 05:10 PM
anyway I can get a subscription or buy some issues of the german digital production magazine ? what's the exact magazine name ? My wife can read german so she'll translate for me :)..
xtrm what do you think of modo ?

coryc
10-01-2004, 05:11 PM
sebek27 - There is 1 DVD on modeling & texturing, another on rendering, and a third on rendering concepts. Those should give you a better understanding of the texturing. Also check Ed Hariss' site for tutorials.

sebek27
10-01-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm still a newbie when it comes to 3D and maybe XSI will be over my head. But it will save my company $500+; I won't be doing anything complex for a while. Does anyone know if I can export from XSI to png files ? i need to export so I can get just the model and a transparent background. I will also have AfterEffects and Photoshop so maybe I can import into these apps then export to Flash MX somehow, but direct png export would be preferable.

xtrm3d
10-01-2004, 05:29 PM
yeahh edd hariss. com should be a good place to go .. as xsi base ist

concerning the digitalproduction.. yes you can get an abo .
just go to the web page http://www.digitalproduction.de/default.asp?SID=630132666192154

enjoy your lecture :-)

coryc
10-01-2004, 05:34 PM
XSI exports to TGA, TIFF, BMP, PIC, SGI, ALS, RLA, JPG, YUV, CT, and MAP. If you have Quicktime installed, you can import TGA into Flash just like PNGs with alpha. You can also use AE or Photoshop to convert several of these formats to PNG.

xtrm3d - good to see you here. Now if we could just get Philip to join the club.

sebek27
10-02-2004, 01:20 AM
i think modeling would be much faster in XSI if you could directly transform/subdivide right on the object instead of having the options window popup.. unless there is a way to disable this option ? guess once you get use to it, it gets better

policarpo
10-02-2004, 01:55 AM
i think modeling would be much faster in XSI if you could directly transform/subdivide right on the object instead of having the options window popup.. unless there is a way to disable this option ? guess once you get use to it, it gets better

To directly subdivide on the object, globally or locally, just use shift+d mate. :deal:

Roger Eberhart
10-02-2004, 04:34 AM
To stop the property editor from popping up automatically, go to File -> Preferences -> Interaction -> Property Editor/Views. Uncheck "Popup property editor on node creation".

policarpo
10-02-2004, 04:38 AM
To stop the property editor from popping up automatically, go to File -> Preferences -> Interaction -> Property Editor/Views. Uncheck "Popup property editor on node creation".

Will the mysteries never cease?

Thanks for that tip.

Day 6 into XSI and she reveals a bit more of herself to me.:drool:

Where are my DVD's?:cry:

Cheers.

Finkster
10-02-2004, 05:26 AM
Where are my DVD's?:cry: I hope you have a few days free. There's soooo much content on those discs. And the cool canadien accents are pretty entertaining too.

I've concentrated almost entirely on the rendering/shading side of things since I started using XSI and I really dig it. Even though MentalRay apparently isn't the best in terms of memory efficieny, I can now render many-million+ polygon scences that would have had LW quaking in its boots. Plus, the render tree is such a natural way to work, even though I'm still trying to get my head around it.

It seems most of you have a positive opinion of modeling in XSI. I've been putting off diving into that area of the program. I feel really comfortable with LW modeler and Wings and I'm kind of scared of starting from scratch all over again. How quickly have you guys been able to pick up modeling in XSI? Would you still find the need to move between programs to perform specific functions, or does XSI cover all the bases?

Cheers.

Rabid pitbull
10-02-2004, 07:07 AM
Finkster I have mainly been importing lw files into xsi, done some tweaking then. Not built too much from scratch yet, but so far the tools are very good just different. I have mainly been exploring other areas of the app. I don't think it will be a problem to do any modeling in it though seems very familiar and comfortable the little I have done in the last 2 weeks or so. Some nice things to explore have been mentioned and i will say I agree that proportional modeling is very cool in point mode.

My main problem in the modeling department is getting used to using cluster to control visibility. Makes imported object difficult to seperate and model independent of each other. I am sure it is a matter of getting the workflow down. Hints anyone??

Sil3
10-02-2004, 01:18 PM

Or simply press Ctrl, it prevents the PPG to pop up

policarpo
10-02-2004, 10:58 PM
Modeling in XSI is a bloody treat. It took me about 5 days to get semi comfortable with it.

I will do some more modeling this evening. I feel that I am just as fast in it as I am in LW for what it is worth. The workflow is pretty nice once you understand what it is you are doing and why XSI is built the way it is. Having Edges alone is a godsend...yeah we got away with a lot in LW while being constrained to points and polys...but honestly...edges are empowering. :thumbsup:

schuubars
10-03-2004, 12:00 AM
I find for technical modelling the tools are great, but i prefer for organics(not for all(real edges hehe) but the most) LW.

Hmm the Raycast(in LW the standart select mode for points/polys) mode is a bit weird, it selects something else polys as i want, by (FireGL X2).
When i decrease AA it seems a lot better to work, but not 100%.

And yep i don't replace LW, but for less than 500, is XSI glaring, and a great addition(RT shader support ect.).

T4D
10-03-2004, 02:32 AM
Modeling in XSI is a bloody treat. It took me about 5 days to get semi comfortable with it.

I will do some more modeling this evening. I feel that I am just as fast in it as I am in LW for what it is worth. The workflow is pretty nice once you understand what it is you are doing and why XSI is built the way it is. Having Edges alone is a godsend...yeah we got away with a lot in LW while being constrained to points and polys...but honestly...edges are empowering. :thumbsup:
Agree Edge and ngons are something i really think Lw is missing and it's so useful
with ngons you can add edges, knife etc and there none of that Sub-d flip back to straight ploygons as you modeler XSi is truely wonderfull stuff :applause:

Lique
10-03-2004, 05:30 PM
I think XSI lack in modelling symetrically. I know there's script just on another thread, and a way by using clone. But this slows down the workflow. I think they should improve this in the next version. and somehow the symetry map only works with moving points (m). it doesnt work with rotations on polygons and edges. did i miss something?

DougNicola
10-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Symmetry maps work on every possible SRT transformation of any component or group of components. So you must have missed something. I agree, if XSI symmetry worked with topology changes, we'd be sitting pretty. (Or prettier I should say. XSI's modeler is a wonderful thing IMHO. The second I got familiar with XSI I knew I wouldn't ever be back in LW)

schuubars
10-04-2004, 12:52 AM
I don't think so, but as you have said, is personal opinion(as for modelling).
Both packages have their strengths, XSI with history, edges,ngons, and so on(and yes the modelling tools are good), and modeler(for me at least), a more fluidity workflow, but only IMO. ;)

For architectural modelling, i woul'd XSI's tools prefer, but not for organics.
Every Person works different.

10-04-2004, 04:58 PM
I'm getting use to with XSI modelling, but rendering part, assigning the materials is painful. Also, I'm learning from the XSI experience book, with one moster and level 2 subpatch, it is very slow and crsh a lot. Comparing to LW, LW modeler go a lot smoother and no crash on it. I think for me, I likely to go back and use LW in all production.

xtrm3d
10-04-2004, 05:20 PM
I agree, if XSI symmetry worked with topology changes
no worry ..
just make an instance of your half object :-)

paulrus
10-04-2004, 05:26 PM
How about an equivalent to LW's extender and smooth shift? I downloaded XSI the other night and as soon as I finish up my current project I'm going to start going through it.

The lack of symmetry is a major drawback IMHO - I was already jealous of modo's XYZ symmetry and I was reallly hoping XSI had something at least as good, if not better than modo.

Paul

xtrm3d
10-04-2004, 05:35 PM
The lack of symmetry is a major drawback IMHO
what are you talking about ??
did you really have try to model in xsi ?
that a lot of people dont know how to use the symmetry .. dont mean that they are no good symmetry tools in xsi

believe me .. they are .. and they are really good

RuiFeliciano
10-04-2004, 05:54 PM
To duplicate LW's Extender functionality you can select an edge(s), duplicate it (CTRL+D) and then move it.

paulrus
10-04-2004, 06:05 PM
I mean you have to clone your 1/2 object in order to get a pseudo symmetry AFAIK. There's nothing similar to modeler or modo's symmetry mode.

I'm sure XSI's method is very powerful, but I like the simplicity of clicking the symmetry button and doing my work.

Sorry if I'm totally off-base here - it's true I haven't had much time at all with XSI, so I may be totally wrong.

Thanks for the help on the XSI extender equivalent.

Paul

RuiFeliciano
10-04-2004, 06:25 PM
You don't go to XSI for simplicity, you go to XSi for the power it gives you...it's about freedom of working the way you envision...sometimes the price to pay is that you must duplicate the clicks you're used to...
In XSi you can move a point on one side of a character and the corresponding point moves on the other side, that's the LW way. But get this, using the clone ''trick'' (coming from LW, as did I, you sure are already pretty well used to coming up with tricks to acomplish a lot of stuff...) you can be working on a poly version of the object and seing the changes in realtime on a SUbD mesh...no more TAB this, TAB that just to check to modificatins you do... hell, you can even do several clones each with a diferent level of subdivision and see in each of them the resullts of the modification you do on the poly version...or have half the object in poly and the other in SubD, etc...the possibilities are huge...and you can change as well as perform just about ANY modification/operation on your object that this method works...the same can't be said for other applications.
Even you find the 3-4 steps required to acomplish this simple clone trick too complicated you can perform it just once, open the script editor, select the steps you just did and transform it into a button in your interface with a short key in a snap so that next time you just select your mesh and press a key...try it, it's really that simple :)

DougNicola
10-05-2004, 02:39 AM
no worry ..
just make an instance of your half object :-)Yes, I know this trick. Instead I just work on half a model most of the time, then use symmetrize polygons on the half. After the whole model is mostly done, and I make topology changes in local areas, I just use symmetrize polygons on those areas. Pretty easy.

Rui hit the nail on the head. XSI is about power! Lots and lots and lots of power.

Edit: Just as an aside, I think XSI wins hands down on the simplicity front in many ways as well. The XSI workflow makes many things that would be a royal PITA in other apps just incredibly easy to do, IMHO.

arcus
10-05-2004, 06:16 AM
Hello,

is there something like "set value" and snap to grid(Viewport grid) in XSI.
I searched the docs but could not find anything.
Thanks

Marcus

preludian
10-05-2004, 09:38 AM
set value: under the transform tab, check collapse points for snapping/absolute translation

snap to grid: under the snap tab click on ON and the grid icon, hold ctrl to temporarily turn snapping on.

You should give the fundamental chapters/book a try, they explain pretty much fundamental stuff, hence the name ;)

arcus
10-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Thank you preludian
I was a little bit confused because I had grid and snap activated
and tried to work in perspective view with View translation on.
This way it looks like it would not snap properly.
Now with your help and fundamentals book everything works
like a snap http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

Marcus

preludian
10-05-2004, 10:59 PM
No problem, xsi is so overwhelming that sometimes the most obvious thing can be overlooked. I too have asked some questions that were well documented, give it some time, it'll come.

bye

Littlefox
11-25-2004, 06:50 PM
Sneaks in with one associated question that I haven't been able to find the answer to yet....

Is there any way in XSI to select in symmetry.... I know it sounds weird but its one of the tools I live and die by in LW, being able to turn on symmetry, select a group on one side of an object and have it select identical polys on the other side too. Please, no blowing away half the model to accoplish this, know that trick, looking for an alternative. I just need to be able to make an identical cluster on the other side of the axis.

yog
11-25-2004, 07:30 PM
Sneaks in with one associated question that I haven't been able to find the answer to yet....

Is there any way in XSI to select in symmetry.... I know it sounds weird but its one of the tools I live and die by in LW, being able to turn on symmetry, select a group on one side of an object and have it select identical polys on the other side too. Please, no blowing away half the model to accoplish this, know that trick, looking for an alternative. I just need to be able to make an identical cluster on the other side of the axis.

If you only want to push geometry around (i.e. NOT add extra geometry) then you can slap on a symetry map from the Properties section. It wont select data as such, but any translation you make on one side will be reflected on the other.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.