PDA

View Full Version : tileable Painter paper textures

that guy
09-14-2004, 09:56 PM
is there a way to get a tileable image of the paper textures in Painter, so they can be used as a bump map in other 3D apps?

Jinbrown
09-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Hi,

Unfortunately, it seems that Painter 8 Papers are based on rather small images. The two I tested were roughly 160 pixels square and roughly 200 pixels square. When using Apply Surface Texture on a 2000 x 2000 pixel Canvas, the edges are quite obvious.

If you treat an image as a Pattern, it can be edited to make it seamless then captured as a Paper, or if you scan something large enough, it may be an adequate size for your purposes.

that guy
09-15-2004, 06:17 PM
When you say that Painter 8 Papers are based on rather small images- how did you get to the original image? The 160x200 pixel size is fine, especially if it's tileable. I'm just trying to figure out how to isolate and capture the original tile image.

that guy
09-24-2004, 02:58 PM
How do I isolate a paper tile? I want to copy the original little paper texture image source into photoshop but can't figure out how to isolate it. The painter papers folder won't open to reveal individual jpeg files or whatever they are.
Any ideas?

Jinbrown
09-25-2004, 12:00 AM
I used Apply Surface Texture then used the Rectangular Selection tool to measure the Paper tiles from edge to edge. Some of them may be seamless but the couple I checked were not.

The Paper image is not available like the Pattern images are.

If you want tileable Papers, create your own by scanning something large enough or first creating a Pattern which can be edited to make it seamless, then capture it as a Paper.

I don't know the procedure for turning an image into a bump map for 3D programs but I would suppose if you do know the procedure, you can figure it out, maybe with the help of another program.

I'd think creating your own Papers would be the better option, rather than trying to use Painter's installed art materials.

Good luck,

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.