PDA

View Full Version : How to improve this?

BgDM
08-09-2002, 01:59 PM
I hope you texturing guru's can give me some suggestions on how to improve this texture:

http://mysite.iptic.com/bgdm/mech_shark_test3.jpg

This is for a mechanical/mecha shark. I want a realistic shark feel to the colours, but want to maintain a mechanical look. The render will be underwater, so specularity may not be an issue, as shark skin is somewhat flat.

Thanks for any input!

BgDM

leigh
08-12-2002, 07:37 AM
Hmmm.... a sharkskin look....I know this sounds a bit lame, but I think the best thing to do would be to do a google image search for close-up shark pics, and use those as a reference....

I'm not too sure offhand what sharksin looks like close-up, so I can't give you any real tips at this stage. :shrug:

What you have so far here looks cool though :) I like the scratches, although I think they may be a little too big. I think that finer scratches, with a couple of larger gashes here and there might look a little better.

BgDM
08-12-2002, 03:44 PM
Thanks Leigh! :beer:

I actually have some images from a Google search and that is what I have been basing the colour map on. I see your point about the scratches now. I will play with it some more.

Thanks again!

BgDM

leigh
08-12-2002, 03:50 PM
Cool :D
I'm looking forward to seeing what you are going to do with this one - I followed it's progress somewhat in the WIP forum, and find it a fascinating concept.
I've always loved the idea of a mechanical shark ever since I read Tintin and Red Rackhams Treasure when I was a kid, where they had a shark submarine. Very cool :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.