PDA

View Full Version : Exporting 3D Max object motion into Fusion 5 possible?

Wizdoc
09-14-2004, 08:47 PM
I'm pretty intrigued by the possibilities of a 3D environment in the upcoming Fusion 5. I read on the website the Fusion camera will recognize camera systems of the most usual 3D packages. That sounds great for comp work.

But will it be possible to put in some sort of marker objects into the 3D scene that will be picked up and automatically tracked when it's exported into Fusion?

For instance, let's say I render a scene in Max where explosions riddle a bridge with cars in it. The deforming bridge, the cars and the surrounding scene are fully 3D but the fiery explosions are comped in from 2D particle effects and stock footage. For the fixed bridge, I assume I just need to position the explosions into the scene (as the camera movement will match automatically), but what about the moving and exploding cars? Can I "tag" the cars in Max to be tracked automatically in Fusion without resorting to using Tracker in Fusion itself?

The tracker, while good, is still an approximation and kind of redundant in a situation like this where all the hard motion data is available.

Thanks in advance.

fxnut
09-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Hey Wizdoc,
Yep, that's exactly the problem I had with using Lightwave with DF. I ended up writing a tool in DF that can load in a camera path and an object motion so that I could track it exactly. Works like a charm! :)

I can't tell you enough how useful the tool has been. I've used it in so many situations. E.g. I can place a null object in my scene and export the motion path, I can then attach a paint stroke to it to clone out a particular area - something which would have been v. difficult otherwise.

The tool also lets you attach a corner pinner to it. To give you some idea of how powerful this tool is; I did a test where I animated a cube moving, rotating, and scaling, while the camera moves, rotates, and zooms. In DF, I can then attach a corner pinner to exactly match any of the faces of the cube that I like. There's even a visibility option to cull for back facing situations as well as a cosine output that allows you to fake lighting.

Unfortunately, my boss won't let me release it just yet (I wrote it at work). But hopefully it might happen in the next month or so. If so, I'd be more than happy to try to add support for 3DSMax or any other package that people wanted. The only problem is that I reckon that all my hard work will more than likely be wasted when DF 5 comes out.

Regards

Andy

P.S. BTW, if anyone wants to use this thread as a petition to my boss to let me release this plugin, feel free! It'd be soooo handy for the Lightwave DF community.

mrunion
09-23-2004, 01:05 AM
I vote to let him release his tool.

maxtomaya
09-23-2004, 02:54 AM
You got a second vote from me too.

Pretty damn useful tool. Even if 5 comes out, I won't able to get it anytime soon and this tools is the daddy!

Muad'dib
09-24-2004, 02:06 AM
That sounds fantastic fxnut - and hopefully your kind boss will let you relese this sooner rather than later. If it becomes outdated when 5 is released I don't really see why you couldn't get some kudos for your good work and see what people can accomplish with this tool before that happens ;) Look forward to see what transpires.

Regards,
Muad'dib

geoff3dnz
09-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Just another vote for the release of this tool! Sounds awesome, and would be immensely useful for me too. Fantastic work.

Cheers,

Geoff

fxnut
09-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Thanks guys for your support, I'll try and apply some pressure. :)

Actually, if I get the chance I'll maybe knock up a quick animation to show you what this little baby can do!

Best wishes

Andy

robinson
10-01-2004, 02:57 AM
sounds great fxnut, really need this tool, you got another vote here :)

Muad'dib
10-01-2004, 03:37 AM
Silly me - I did not realise fxnut=Andy N :)
I really gotta read to the bottom of the page - including the website.
So now that I'm up with it let me thank you Andy for the rest of the kick-but LW stuff you've provided to the community. Greatly appreciated.

In terms of pressure - how else can we approach/get throigh to your boss ? - on a very curteous and polite level of course ;)

fxnut
10-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Thanks Muad'dib,

I think for the moment, it's best for people to just leave messages of support and I'll take it from there. Feel free to spread the word about this tool on other forums though.

Thanks, I really appreciate yours and everyone's support on this.

Best wishes

Andy

tais
10-18-2004, 08:28 AM
hi fxnut,
nice to heard about a tool like that! can't wait the vid.
Tais

fxnut
12-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Hi guys,
Sorry about the delay. I'm afraid I didn't get round to producing a demo video...

...actually I've gone one better than that! You can expect the VirtualCam plugin for Digital Fusion 4 to be released in the next week or so. I'm just finishing off the documentation. As soon as I have a link, I'll post it here.

Many thanks to all of you who posted in support of getting this tool released. Every one of them helped.

Best wishes

Andy

fxnut
12-04-2004, 12:56 PM
Hey guys.

Virtual Cam is now online :)

http://www.andynicholas.com/thezone/index.php?area=downloads

Any feedback can either be posted here or sent via my website.

Andy

robinson
12-09-2004, 01:40 AM
Great news Andy, will try it right away !!!

Aneks
12-10-2004, 02:07 AM
Just saw a demo of DF5 by some of the nice folks from eyeon. It looks very nice indeed. I asked about camera interoperabitility and was told that there will be full support from Maya, Max and LW as well as facilitating boujou, syntheyes and some other matchmoving formats too !

I also asked about .fbx support and was told that they were working on another way to import meshes and other data from 3d apps without having to use filmbox's format. One example showed primative geometry (sphere and cube) and footage in a full comp scene. I asked about importing mesehs for shadow casting etc ! and was told that it will definately be a possiblity .......... which interested me greatly. The hot rumor is that a full beta/new beta will be rolling out very soon !

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.