PDA

View Full Version : normal maps and xsi 4

combatmantra
09-14-2004, 05:28 PM
Hi there, i have been testing normal mapping in xsi, i had the normal map generated with zbrush, and the problem is when i plugged into xsi, first i tried the d3 shader normalmap wich seems to not work properly on xsi 4, there are more people with the same issues with this shader in xsi 4, well i tried to do a shader like this http://www.pbase.com/image/13267141/original , but again i didn,t get the expected results,
I,m lost, has anyone been able to render normal maps on complex geometry in xsi 4?

Thanks in advance.

Per-Anders
09-15-2004, 03:09 AM
hi, don't forget that z-brush outputs two kinds of maps, the network looks like it's trying to use a tangency map by adding in the surface normal (i would presume that is the setting of the vector state node), if you take that node out in theory you would have a system that uses absolute style normal maps instead. so it's dependent on teh type of map you're generating (and of course make sure you've got the mode of that vectorstate node set right).

btw you could simplify that network down a lot. by using a couple of vector_math_vector nodes instead of the six scalar math basic nodes and a color2vector (which will automatically be added anyway) instead of the pick channel nodes.

combatmantra
09-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Thanks a lot mdme_sadie :)

I didn,t choose the tangency map in zbrush, silly me:rolleyes: , again thanks for your help.

Cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.