PDA

View Full Version : xsi newbie

KillMe
09-14-2004, 03:27 PM
well i got my copy of xsi foundation and i'm just trying to learn it now

anyway i have some questions is there anyway to hide all but the selected objects or geometry quickly and easily and a nice easy way to bring it back too? like in lightwave?

also there isn't a bevel tool script that works like lightwaves is there?

and a spin edges tool? that would be handy too

takes some getting used to from modeling in lightwave (which i have to say i prefer workflow wise but the tools are more reliable in xsi)

anyway any help would be appriated

mattmos
09-14-2004, 03:57 PM
I think the first thing you will have to do is throw away all your lightwave methods and begin at the beginning as they say. Although there is obviously a lot of crossover if you try to apply lightwave workflow to xsi you will just limit yourself...

Hiding everything except object selected - you can use the object viewer to see the object by itself, I've foudn this especially useful being able to lock it when modelling facemorphs.

There is a bevel tool, but I don't know whether it is like lightwave's. Check the manual. It has been updated in v.4 and is pretty decent.

spin edges? Can you explain that one a bit further?

KillMe
09-14-2004, 04:25 PM
yeah the bevel tool in xsi is great - jsut i liked the way the lightwave one worked - you grabed a poly then activated it then moved the mouse to scale in and out liked it alot was very quick but i can live without that if nessary

as for spining edges take something simple like two triangles making a square - spining edges woudl spin the edges between the two polys to change its across the diagonal - its handy for quickly changing the edge flows
now you mentioned the object viewer - itsn't tehre something simple like hitting a single key and everything disappears except what was selected and another key to bring it back? =/

titaniumdave
09-14-2004, 04:35 PM
All your hide/unhide options are under the view menu. And look at this for your shortcuts http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v35/media/maya2xsi_quickref.pdf

StephanD
09-14-2004, 04:38 PM
itsn't tehre something simple like hitting a single key and everything disappears except what was selected and another key to bring it back?

Try 'H' and 'Ctrl-H' but don't quote me on that one.

Sil3
09-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Hi Killme

During the first weeks simply forget LW and get aquainted with XSI workflow, itīs a lot easier if u let go of LW "thinking" and embrace XSI fully.

Later on, after u learned the UI and know where the tools are and how they work, then u can start to try to mimic your previous workflow that u had in LW to XSI. But only after u learned at least the bare essential of XSI, itīs not easy, XSI is a lot more deep than LW, but itīs also a lot more powerfull.

Certain things in LW u can do with 3 clicks, in XSI u must use 10, but something u can do in XSI with 10 clicks, u cant do them in LW without a bilion clicks :)

wurp
09-14-2004, 05:03 PM
As for hiding, in the viewport menu, go to camera icon->isolate selection

That will hide everything but the selected object(s) in the current viewport, note that this is NOT the same as hiding an object in the explorer (hotkey h) as this isolate selection tool does not affect any of the objects properties.

KillMe
09-14-2004, 05:16 PM
argh its hard to let go of ingrained habits but i guess your right - are there any simple to follow tutorials to help get accustomed working xsi - doing my own thing well i'm trying to do thigns my way =/

coryc
09-14-2004, 05:21 PM
yea, I think they are on the contents CD. If not, you can download them from the SoftImage site. Be sure to download both the tutorial file and the contents file. They do a good job stepping through the basics.

KillMe
09-14-2004, 05:41 PM
contents cd you say =) - hmmm hadn't thought of that but yup teh media cd does seem to have some tuts on it thanks - i'll check them out

Signal2Noise
09-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Really, it is fun to roll up one's sleeves and get in to the thick of things with a new 3D app. But the roadblocks seem to appear real fast and frustration starts to set in especially when one is use to another app to do things.

Foundation comes with a sh*tload of information on the 9 CDs/DVDs. Best thing to do is take several hours or even a day and browse all of the discs and watch some of the videos. This way you'll know where to look for tutorials, 'how to' info, GUI workflow, etc. And don't forget the Fundamentals manual.

Basically what I'm saying is a lot of the questions in this thread are simply answered within the information provided with the program. Take the time to read, browse, and enjoy. :thumbsup:

KillMe
09-14-2004, 06:32 PM
sadly for some reason my dvd player wont recognise the dvd's adn they wont play on my tv dvd player =/ might have to buy a new dvd rom my dvd ram seem to have issues with some disc's =/

as for the manual seems to be intent on telling me teh difference between softimage3d and xsi =/ taht siad i haven't really checked out much more than the first pages

and nowhere can i find a simple list of the default shortcut keys - but i'm sure i'll work it all out evenually

ub52
09-14-2004, 08:00 PM
sadly for some reason my dvd player wont recognise the dvd's adn they wont play on my tv dvd player =/ might have to buy a new dvd rom my dvd ram seem to have issues with some disc's =/

KillMe, I believe the DVD's are merely data DVD's in order to contain the amount of data in a fewer number of disks. Also, the tut's require FLASH player ver 7 in order to be viewed.

As for the other things you mention, I too come from a LW background of many years. Initially it was hell letting go of the LW paradigm for modeling. However, once I got over that hurdle I found I love XSI every bit as much as I did LW. One of the things that got me early on is that XSI does not allow free standing points. Points can only exsist in conjunction with egdes and ploygons. Once I got that through my thick head it was actually quite liberating. No need to lay down some points in order to add a polygon, just press "N" and click where you want to add a poly. If adjaceant to another poly XSI is smart enough to snap the edges of the new poly to the adjaceant one. As for spin quads it's really unnecessary as you can add or remove edges wherever you like to change the flow on your model.

There is hope. Free your mind.
-ub52

KillMe
09-14-2004, 08:19 PM
its not that the disks wont play on my computer its the fact that asfar as my computer is concerned there is no disk in the drive =/ its very strange - as i said i'll probally get a cheapt dvd rom drive to add to my box - and leave the dvd ram drive for backing up files which i cant advocate it enough for this its awesome no more piles of cd's 1 dvd ram disk and drag and drop =)

anyway i'm slowly coming around to it i just modeled a fish of all things pretty basic but jsut trying to get used to xsi the pdf tutorils on the media cd hmmmm well its kinda long winded and afew bits not very well explained - i'll print it out sometime maybe give it another look over but for now i'm back to playing by myself jsut trying to be opent o new ways of doing things

as for the spin edges i know you can delete and put new edges in as you want its jsut faster to spin them and you can do it jsut to test how it affects the flow and if you dont like put it back jsut as quickly - its very useful when modeling characters at least i find it so

as a one time lightwave users you couldn't tell me if its possible to make the mouse or even the center of the selected geometry the action center while still staying in global mode for your translation tools? - this is the one area i think i'm missing most from lightwave at the moment

ub52
09-15-2004, 02:20 AM
...as a one time lightwave users you couldn't tell me if its possible to make the mouse or even the center of the selected geometry the action center while still staying in global mode for your translation tools? - this is the one area i think i'm missing most from lightwave at the moment
Well, as I've experienced, someone correct me if I'm wrong, there is a COG button below the Transform area on the right side of the UI. After selecting a transform mode SRT click the GLOBAL button and then the COG button and subsequent transformations will take place around the center of the selected qeometry. You can also hold the ALT key down after selecting a transform mode and you'll see the transform manipulator temporarily replaced by a small white circle with a black dot in the center. Clicking on a polygon, polygon edge, or point while holding the ALT key will relocate this marker to the center of the poly, edge or point and this will become the center of your subsequent transformation.

Cheers,
-ub52

KillMe
09-15-2004, 02:50 AM
ahhhhhhhhhhhh thank you thank you thank you - yeah thats exactly what i was wanting - shame there wasn't one to center your actions on the mouse but cant have everything and i managed for ages in lightwave before i ever started using the mouse as the action center so i guess i can go back to living without it

as for the the alt thingy yeah i discovered that purely by accident - but i think center of geometry will be more useful for the most part i think

jsut so your in no doubts - thank you thank you thank you

lmcgarry
09-15-2004, 03:52 AM
I think the DVD's haven't been finalised because my DVD_RW software pops up a warning. This may be causing the grief.

Linda

Sil3
09-15-2004, 01:24 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhh thank you thank you thank you - yeah thats exactly what i was wanting - shame there wasn't one to center your actions on the mouse but cant have everything and i managed for ages in lightwave before i ever started using the mouse as the action center so i guess i can go back to living without it

LOL

Yah this frustated me in the begining to, but itīs there, just a bit hidden.

Press ALT and a "pivot" gadget will appear so that u can temporary use it to rotate the mesh or selected components.

Pressing only ALT will move the pivot to be confined to the boundaries of the object.

Pressing CTRL+ALT will let u place the temp "pivot" anywhere u want in screen, bingo there ya go :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.