PDA

View Full Version : portrait

celmar
09-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Hello!... the full definition picture is on the general section of cgtalk, but for those who should want to make a portrait with likeness in zbrush, maybe it's interesting to give more "z tips"... first, I think very bad practice to import the face and profil photo of the model; if you do that, you get general proportions an easier way, but you are going to produce a very inferior model, after... why: because it's a sculptor's attitude, you have to turn and turn around your model, and nearly never finish more a part than another; (I mean, the part which are going to be seeible, here I don't work on the upper head, and the back, of course)... so, how to do: try to get the more photos possible (well, up to about 10...) of the model, on doifferent angles; if it's your wife, or your kids, it's easy; if it's a movie actor, it's more dificult, especially if he is dead... the photos must be in about the same age area... print all the photos, in black and white, a not so good print is best than a good one, all the photos having to be in the same (about) definition...then put tham around your screen...

celmar
09-14-2004, 08:28 AM
then, take a 3d sphere, and choose symmetry... begin to blockin the general proportions... the first thing I do is the eyes depression, the second being in M mode to give a more "head's" proportion... turn around, you have a system of control: each time tou leave an angle for another, you must be ok (more or less) with the new angle on the photo: I mean, working on a photo "face, and turning to work from a photo more side view, you must have make progress on the side view, during already the work on the face; if not, you are going to have a good eyes, for example, but much too ,near of the ear, and you have to undo everything!... it's also why the photos have to be "not so good".. don't be disturbed by a very defined photo, which is going to "push" you on the details... avoid details... the blockin is finished when all the angles used are corrects in proportion, and volume... likeness must be hetre, too, like the rough shape the model...

celmar
09-14-2004, 08:37 AM
I haven't keep any step, so the picture attached above is of course the finished head; OK, who was at the end of the blockin; now, get out the symmetry, (you can come back to it, later), and choose a part not so difficult of the face, and interesting; For Lee van Cleef, I've choosen the movement above the eyebrows, so characteristic, dyssimetric, and easy to sculpt; go on nearly completion on that area... if you're happy with it, you have a sort of "anchor", to sculpt "from"... here the eyes, and the nose, which are the more significant part on that model... (you don't have now to worry about proportions, remember, they are done)... about a certain amount of time (I think that a whole portrait take 2 hours, anyway I can't keep concentration much longer), you enter in the control process: like the beginning, turn on each angle, and correct what is needed, then turn, until the moment where all the angles seems like the photo's angles... that moment (with me) never happens, it's always a deal betwee,n the actual step, and what I risk to loose if going more far... in likeness, on millimeter or so, and you loose "something"... it's nervous racking; but it's a magical moment, when you have in the photos an angle not "usual" of the actor, which seems surprising, and you turn your mesh, and find the same form!... well, as you see there are not a lot of thgings to be sais, and there are not very precise! sorry!...

celmar
09-14-2004, 08:53 AM
just for complete: the body, in zsphere... of course not difficult... to finish on that likeness topic: for those who want to work as modeller, it's a necessary step... but for everybody, it's a valuable exercice: the only way to do it, is relax... so for example in my work, each time I begin a character, I try a little likeness... if I loose it, no problem, it's not important, it's just me who know that the young woman I'm modellizing try to be like the girl on the magazine!...and as I said on the post on the general forum, a good amount of luck is fine, too, when doing a portrait...but on another side, on a
learning curve of 3d, a portrait with likeness is about the same than a huge quantity of monsters!... and it's fun to have movie actor on his hard disk!...

Frenchy Pilou
09-14-2004, 12:02 PM
I have recognized it :)
It's Georges Brassens's moustache :D

Crying of verity :thumbsup:
Direct link at Cgtalk in the 3D part! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=169610&highlight=celmar) (more views and steps of this 3D Van Cleef)

Roger Eberhart
09-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Great job on Van Cleef. Something about the gun is bothering me. It might be the position or the size. I'm trying to imagine how his hand would have to be positioned to hold the gun like that. Also, perhaps it should be a little fuzzy, as the viewers eyes would be focused on the middle ground (the face) and not the foreground (the gun).

Dougs
09-15-2004, 02:07 AM
Great work on Van Cleef Celmer. I'm new at Zbrush and I was just wondering how you did Van Cleefs mustche and beard stubble. Is that a brush setting or is it a displacement map?

billhdz
09-15-2004, 05:14 AM
Awesome Work celmar!
:thumbsup:

marciani
09-15-2004, 07:35 AM
Very well done Marcel,
Thx for the "making of"
Bye
Leo

aminuts
09-15-2004, 07:38 AM
Wow this is an awesome pic!! And I love you kept him true in black and white!!! I think this is one of your best yet.....which believe me is hard to say as all your work astounds me!!

Thanks for the tutorial on your work flow with this fella....it is most informative on two levels...

first it gives me a new way of looking at an approach to portraits

and second....it gives me another view into the mind of marcel the artiste!

Bravo!!

skipstah70
09-16-2004, 06:55 AM
Holy crap Celmar!!! :buttrock: ..nice stuff.. That image is amazing ... I can't believe it's 3d! Zrocks

Skips

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.