PDA

View Full Version : CPS kind like Script for XSI ???

DimitrisLiatsos
09-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Hi ...sorry for the wierd title , some times my English are very bad.

My question is this.
I come from Maya where i mostly use CPS toolbox for Low to High Poly modeling.
I noticed at the modeling DVD (from the training kit that came with my XSI Foundation..weeeee) that the instructor could make a workflow like the CPS workflow for modeling. Is there a ready script that does that....?

I hope i make sence!!!

(forgive my English again)

bravmm
09-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Never used Maya, what kind of workflow does this toolbox do???
If you've seen the DVD's, there's no added plugins, basic XSI here.

cheers,

rob

Atyss
09-14-2004, 11:34 AM
I haven't seen the production dvds and am not a Maya user. Can you elaborate on what is that workflow about?

Thanks
Bernard

AUMAKUA
09-14-2004, 12:37 PM
...and I was starting to feel guilty that I bought Foundation while being such an avid (sic) Maya fan :))

acidboy
09-14-2004, 12:58 PM
DimitrisLiatsos: Correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't used maya in awhile.
But from what I know CPS is basically a way of emulating subD smoothing (through a poly smooth) with a low poly hull ontop.

Well basically you don't have to give up on SubDs in xsi, as they are fast. So you don't need anything like cps. You can either convert a poly mesh to Subds, or jump between Subds and polys via numpad - / +.
If you want the Hull display on your SubDs, you can toggle it on and off with Ctrl + (numbad +)
You can also toggle SubD simple or complex display with Alt +

Other then that and being able to edit the mesh components in both hull and onsurface (phantom points), and also the poly and subd tools being one..............I really dunno what else you want from it :D

asis
09-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Hi,
havent seen the dvds. Maybe you want to work on a half cage and see the merged 2 halves smoothed like in cps?

Then do this:
have one half poly
clone it
scale -1 the cloned mesh
select the 2 meshes
merge
hide the clone half mesh
hit " +" on the merged mesh to subdivide.

DimitrisLiatsos
09-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Hi ,

@ bravmm, Atyss ...this is not a plugin , it is just a script that creates an interface and gathers all together some usefull tools and also automates the proccess that our friend asis describes in the post above this one.

@ AUMAKUA ..hahaha i am not a quiter to Maya but i surely respect a very competetive app like XSI and above that i think that it's has this kind of feel in my mind that Maya has ...so i am learning XSI also....OLE!

@ acidboy U are perfectly correct, i found out the proccess and workflow some hours before i start this thread ...i basically found exactly what asis describes to me ( hey man thank u ). What i basically want to express is not the luck of the tool in XSi but just a thought that i would like to see the same toolbox,CPS, (which really speeds up my workflow) in XSI. I would then perfectly say that i am at home. As for the subDs in XSI ...true they are much faster and easy to handle than in Maya but in my workflow i tend to work up the very last minute in poly ( and nurbs ) and after all modeling is 90%-95% done then switch to subD's.

What i am thinking is if i can setup a custom interface or maybe even email to Dirk Bialluch who made CPS for Maya if he wants to "play" with XSi in making his script run in XSI. Simple thoughts.
Other than that i must say that i feel right at home in XSI.....so happy new user here.

Thanks very much for your help guys and if someone continues to have a thought ot two ..please share it with me.

Cheers
Dimitris

P.S : In any case i DON'T intend to start any app war....please respect that. Thank u.

j3st3r
09-14-2004, 10:53 PM
Hey, you`ve to forget about CPS.

In XSI subdivs are natively supported. Just press + and - on the numpad, and your mesh is immediately subdivides. Moreover, you can use Ctrl-+ (Numpad) to display the hull, or Alt-+ (Numpad) to display the subdivided wireframe. You`ll realize, that XSI IS a subdiv modeller...

I came from LW background, and our company migrated to XSI within a month because of its excellent modelling capabilities in subdivs.

DimitrisLiatsos
09-14-2004, 11:01 PM
Hi j3st3r ...thanks for the tips, maybe you are right and i just have to use the shortcuts u mentioned. Maybe i should give it the time needed... :wip: :wip:

j3st3r
09-14-2004, 11:09 PM
Sure, but I`m sure you`ll be addicted to XSI soon...In our company we had a Maya-freak guy, now he is one of the flagbearer of XSI.

It is different than Maya, but the deeper you get into XSI the more you love it.

Cheers

DimitrisLiatsos
09-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Hahaha...i am sure that is going to be fun. The only thing is that i am studying really hard to get the most of both apps 'cuase for me as a freelancer are an investment except FUN of 'course.
But i will remember your words. The truth is that up to now i am vey impressed with XSI. :love:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.