PDA

View Full Version : Linux for Shake

Pretorian
09-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi!

I'm planning to start with Shake for Linux, but first, I have to choose wich one to install. I would like to know wich is the best Linux for Shake. I have never used Linux before, but I would like to install the best that work with Shake. I heard about SuSe. Is it good to run Shake?

Any advice is very apreciated! :thumbsup:

Thanks! :)

PS: sorry but I just saw that it has a thread like this already here and already answered. I couldn't delete this. Anyway, if someone feels good in answering this, I will thank a lot! :)

844x
09-14-2004, 07:55 AM
I red that fedora core2 are good for shake

Hugh
09-14-2004, 09:20 AM
We're just moving onto Fedora Core 1 here at work - I don't know why not 2, but there must be a reason for it... Maybe FC2 is still an 'in production' version...?

Pretorian
09-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks!

Fedora is like the old Red Hat, isn't it?

What about SuSe, Mandrake or Debian? And, wich compilation from them?

Any other advice?

Regards :)

DiGiman
09-14-2004, 10:29 PM
I use Suse 9.1 and it works great.

maxtomaya
09-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Fedora Core 2 is the best version of Linux for graphics purpose. Fedora is NOT the old but the NEW and the better version of Red Hat. All internals are the same just that Fedora is Open source but delivered by the same people (Redhat) and maintained by Redhat AND community.

Also, it is much easier to install. People who would know very little about linux, we would not want to spend time installing patches and upgrades for graphic card drivers or finding one, Fedora detects everything automaticaly. I should also advice that Fedora is probably the best OS for desktop/Graphics (Mac too) purposes. It is even better than Windows XP and has every single tool Windows has and more that we would need to do graphics.

Madrake is good too, but not as much as compatible with devices as Fedora.

Hope it helps!

Hugh
09-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Interesting.... I'll have to have a chat with a couple of people at work on monday and find out why they went with FC1 over FC2....

Kinda thinking about setting Linux up over here - may well go for FC2 in that case...

maxtomaya
09-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Fedora 2 comes with a lot of neat features such as the faster KDE and very fast nework drivers for the latest cards and ALL of the graphic cards are supported as well.

Hugh,
I am not sure why anyone would get Core1 NOW. When 2 came out, their link was not as published and many people wasn't aware of it at all until few weeks after. May be they jumped into it OR the download problems at their servers/mirrors during the early stages of release of Core2 might be some reasons. When did the guys at your pro house decided to go for Core1?

Anyway Mandrake and Redhat/Fedora works well with Shake. A lot of systems we have here uses Mandrake/Redhat. We are converting everything to Fedora. However, we have not set up nework rendering yet(don't know why). Only the compositing boxes use Linux.

I was also told that Weta (LOTR people) used Linux for Shake. Don't know if that is true but it would be interesting to know some of their behind the scene stuff:)

I hope Apple continues the version updates and optimizations for Linux in the later versions as well. A lot of people here are gona look stupid if apple discontinues Linux support as they did for Windows a while back.:D

Pretorian
09-20-2004, 04:06 AM
Thanks maxtomaya!

Wich GUI's can I use with Fedora 2? As you said, it comes with KDE already. Can I use Gnome? Wich GUI do you use or your office does?

About Graphics you mean 3D apps too? Does Fedora 2 works fine with Maya too? Any special setup for it?

Thanks a lot on that! :thumbsup:

844x
09-20-2004, 08:55 AM
Hi. Fedora Core2 is good.I have a question!
I now work with shake3.5 on Mac G5 but want to go on Linux and shake. For mac I use Black magic hardware. Are for Shake for linux have the other cart like Balckmagic

maxtomaya
09-20-2004, 03:38 PM
My assumption is that Maya version of Linux exists and is compatable fully with shake. I use Maya on Windows so can't tell for sure. You should check Alias webpage.

Let me give you a point. If Alias says it works, IT WORKS and if Alias says it works on Redhat, it will DEFENITLY work on Fedora as Fedora IS Redhat and only the GUI is mostly changed on the upgrades. Yes they have added a lot of tools in to KDE, HOWEVER OpenGL is the same since OpenGL and Redhat is not directly connected. So if OpenGL->Maya->Redhat works then OpenGL->Maya->Fedora works as well.

As for me, I prefer KDE. NOTE that when you install Fedora2, if you choose "Desktop" type, KDE is NOT selected. The default is Gnome. If you are installing Core 1/2, "Desktop", in the following screens select Update package option to add KDE. KDE is way cooler and easy to use that Gnome for me.

Another thing is the swap space (paging in Windows). By default, Fedora creates 2*Physical Memory as swap space. If you have a Gig Mem, you get 2 Gig of Swap space. If you want to change this option, select "Manual Layout" instead of "Automatic Layout" during instalation. ALSO, try to place swap at the begining of the file system for optimal performace (sometimes it does it automaticaly and other times not depending on your selections)

About the hardware, you can use any since it is Linux. Unless it is Mac Specific then, you probably need to find drivers etc...:shrug: I can't confirm it today. I am installing few systems tomorrow in Core 2 and will confirm if things go wrong and how well it works. Unfortunately, I do not have Maya for Linux so can't do much of a testing there:D

Pretorian
09-20-2004, 05:07 PM
844x, just curiosity, what is Black Magic hardware?

maxtomaya, thanks again! :thumbsup:

beaker
09-20-2004, 08:07 PM
For mac I use Black magic hardware. Are for Shake for linux have the other cart like BalckmagicUnfortunatly the support of capture/output cards is very slim. Linux supports a bunch of the cheap tv-out cards but very little professional ones like blackmagic or digital voodoo(which is why shake doesn't support the vtr option on linux). There is RaveHD:
http://www.rave-hd.com/products/ravehd/
and Tremor used DVS on linux: http://www.dvs.de/

Most of the linux support is DDR setups, not really a card you can buy with drivers for linux. So the cost of it is in the $25k range.

If you want video out support with shake, use a mac.

SalaTar
09-21-2004, 01:05 AM
"Unfortunatly the support of capture/output cards is very slim. Linux supports a bunch of the cheap tv-out cards but very little professional ones like blackmagic or digital voodoo"

grrr.. head hurts.... I have to agree with Beaker :D

Very few cards supports doing Linux drivers,,(bad company...bad company... rub nose in ...)
But they do do Mac driver for OSX that is now based on a Open BSD project....ahh the pain never ends :D

beaker
09-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Even though osx has bsd stuff in it, driver programming on linux is very different then osx(mono vs micro kernel). Also blackmagic, digital voodoo, igniter, kona, etc... are piggybacking a lot of their compression abilities these days with the internals of FCP and Avid Xpress. LIke the I/O from kona reqires FCP in order to work. Though I believe they added shake vtr suppport in the newest version.

It's that damn chicken in the egg syndrome. Need the apps to justify the hardware people to support linux and vs versa.

maxtomaya
09-21-2004, 03:23 PM
I installed Fedora 2 at home and Is it just me or the shake runs faster on my PC! I miss the quicktime rendering though:sad: Apple needs to do something about it! I can't believe there is no quicktime player for linux. Does anyone know anything about a opensource project or anything of that sort that can at least play mov files? big help...:rolleyes:

mrgoodbyte
09-21-2004, 04:10 PM
I can play Quicktimes on Redhat 9 with mplayer from www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/
You will probably need to have the quicktime files on your system though. You can install that with wine from www.winehq.com

-Ronald

maxtomaya
09-21-2004, 06:38 PM
thanks alot. I got the mplayer working. Now I can get back to my routines in Linux.

later

DominikSusmel
09-29-2004, 02:48 PM
if you are on linux and into compositing, be sure to checkout http://www.bluefish444.com/ - linux support is superb, not to mention bluefish cards are really great :)

beaker
09-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Dominik Susmel:
Thats really, cool, I didnt realize that they supported linux. Only thing is I can't find any drivers or any other information about their linux support with their cards other than the underlying "linux support". What does their driver add support for(what file formats) and what applications do you use it with?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.