PDA

View Full Version : Good Painter Book??

eevilmouse
09-13-2004, 09:59 PM
ok Just bought a Wacom, and Painter, I have been playing with it, and Like it alot. I can already do things with it that were lacking in photoshop without LOTS of work. My problem is I dont really know what all it can do. I know I am missing some stuff. I plan on going through the tutes that come with it but I would like to know if there is a decent book out there that will walk ya through the program? Unfortunatly the education version dosnt come with a manual that I can look over either, so Its browsing of the help files.

All in all anyone have a book they recomend, and Why?

Lunatique
09-14-2004, 05:11 AM
There aren't nearly as many books for Painter as there are for Photoshop. But if you just search amazon.com, you'll find the ones that are available, and they're all good. Don Seegmiller's book deals more with only drawing/painting, while the other books cover everything like editing.

Most Painter users never cracked open a book--but the help files are handy for tricks & tips. To just draw/paint, all you need to know is the Brush Designer. Tweak all the brushes and try all kinds of settings--that is your best teacher by far. Then, learn shortcut keys like ctrl+m, b, spacebar+dragging mouse..etc. You can do a fully finished painting just knowing only the most basic stuff. If you have the time, it would be great to actually go through the entire help files though.

CIM
09-14-2004, 07:13 AM
http://www.seegmillerart.com/contents.htm

Seegmiller's book is the best I've seen. It's about painting techniques in Painter, not how to use the program really (though it does go over some things).

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.