PDA

View Full Version : 3D Festival/LEAF Conference in London, Oct 9-11

lildragon
08-09-2002, 03:27 AM
3D Festival and LEAF (London Effects and Animation Festival) are integrating their content to deliver a single high-end 3D Conference as part of Digital Arts World, Oct 9-11, 2002, London.

Full story on http://www.3dfestival.com/

Leonard
08-09-2002, 03:33 AM
CG Talk is the official online forums for 3D Festival (in case you're wondering).

L.

Black&White
08-09-2002, 03:42 AM
3dFestival + cgTalk no match

i recommend to change 3dFestival name to

cgFestival:scream:
cgPlanet:applause:
cgBuz:p
cg....

or change cgtalk to

3dFestivalTalk:surprised
3dTalk:blush:

Atleast if they are official parteners. Make a same theme for them.

LucentDreams
08-09-2002, 04:14 AM
why would either change its name as they are both well established (hence the great merger.)

Black&White
08-09-2002, 04:17 AM
atleast change 3dfastival theme. I dont like its theme.

PixelShader
08-09-2002, 04:43 AM
I love it. It looks awesome.

Better bookmark it.

facial
08-09-2002, 04:47 AM
:applause: :bounce: :bowdown: :beer:

Black&White
08-09-2002, 06:09 AM
i noticed Internation 3d Awards.

:xtreme::xtreme:I CANT WAIT:bounce: :bounce:

when it is coming?

lmc
08-09-2002, 06:51 AM
metoo...i can't wait liao....hohoho:bounce: :applause:

Leonard
08-09-2002, 07:46 AM
Will be in May 2003. We will make an official announcement probably around the time of the 3D Festival in Oct. There's so much to prepare in the meantime.

Thanks for the support.

L.

playmesumch00ns
08-09-2002, 09:58 AM
Looks like I'll have to make sure I'm in London on those days. I missed it last year, don't want to miss out on the Spiderman or Monsters Inc classes!

Equinoxx
08-09-2002, 11:18 AM
goddamn goddamn goddamn . . . [pardon the swearing] why o why don't i ahve anymore days of . . . i mean LONDON that's like NEXTDOOR to me [well countrywise anyhoo :p]. . . :cry:

soulhill
08-09-2002, 03:17 PM
I was somewhat shocked to see the entry fee for LEAF 50 + vat tax. Converted to U.S. dollars, that is nearly $100, three times that of nearly every festival out there. They also ask for digital beta PAL, rather than the standard VHS. Does anyone know why this is?

LucentDreams
08-10-2002, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by soulhill
I was somewhat shocked to see the entry fee for LEAF 50 + vat tax. Converted to U.S. dollars, that is nearly $100, three times that of nearly every festival out there. They also ask for digital beta PAL, rather than the standard VHS. Does anyone know why this is?

Howabout because they are in the UK, and outside of Northamerica, I don't think anyony one uses NTSC VHS, so theres why its PAL, ad Digital BETA since it looks way better. I mean /VHS is the most horrendous video quality out there, I still don't get why Sony let Beta get beaten out by such a lousy technology.

soulhill
08-10-2002, 03:26 PM
How about... Pal makes sense. Digital Beta does not. Nearly all festivals ask for Beta SP or Digital Beta or Mini-DV as a SCREENING format, not as a SUBMISSION format. Ninety-nine percent of the festivals out there realize that submitting an entry on a format as expensive as Digital Beta is prohibitive, especially when one considers they do not return the entry. Most festivals don't return the submission tape (always VHS) but will return the screening tape (usually Beta SP.) If LEAF was asking for Digital Beta as a screening format, that is a different story. (Perhaps I am mistaken - I hope I am.)

Of course, all of this is exacerbated by the fact that the entry fee is three times that of the standard festival entry fee. In fact, most European festivals require no fee at all. If LEAF's point is to discourage non-commercial entries, then this whole picture makes sense. However, there is no mention of this.

So again I ask: Does anyone know why this is?

parallax
08-12-2002, 09:34 PM
I think a 39 quid (dont have a 'quid' key on my keyboard :) ) entry fee is a bit high,
let alone 195 for exhibition entry.
The price will probably hold off students from going. (at least, i'm not ready yet to pay 234 for exhibition/festival entry, plus 100 euros transport/hotelroom ). The planeticket is almost the cheapest part of the journey (only 50 euros)
It would be nice if there was to be a special student offer.

As it stands now, i'm not going to enjoy any fish/chips/cup'o-tea (bad food/worseweather)

:(

nice initiative though.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.