PDA

View Full Version : Digital Artist Share Some Painting Techniques

Kansai
09-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Hello All I am not sure about the rival between photoshop and painter. But I see some pretty amazing digital paintings created by the talented artist in the cgtalk forums. I got my wacom tablet but my painting, color blending looks know where near what everyone else is producing.

So I was wondering if artist here could shed some light on the techniques they use. Like the opacity they began to paint with

2. the angle of the brushes there using

3. Blending color techniques (mine currently looks like a blob and totally covers the underlying color)

and any other tips techniques will be helpful

thanx

kiko3d
09-13-2004, 07:21 PM
I made a search before maybe it could help you

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=digital+painting+tutorial

MasonDoran
09-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Painter can actually mix the colors as u paint which is great for creating interesting texture spontaenously....its a superb paint engine which is the weakest point of painting in photoshop.

...but Photoshop makes up for that with a very fast UI and efficient workflow which amusingly enough is the weakest point of Painter.

as far as techniques go...

www.gfxartist.com has a good list of tuts

i will say that painting digitally is fundamentally the same as painting with real materials so doing a search on traditional media will give you the essential knowledge.

my tips for blending in photoshop:

1. block in neutral midtone color....then choose more saturated highlight color with a low opacity (10%) and paint in brighter area in one pass...make more passes that gradate to the brightest point.

2. you can either use the smudge tool to get rid of the texture (which creates a lifeless airbrush look) or use the eyedropper to select a color from the painted area that you want to blend and then make some more passes.....

note: i constantly choose a strong color...then with a low opacity i mix it with the base color to get the mix between the two....then pick this color up and paint with it at a higher opacity

-make sure you use pressure sensitivity for the size of the brush....i dont use angle, as i would rather rotate the canvas ala Painter....

Kansai
09-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Hey all thanx for the responses ang great tips. 2byts I will definitely try to put some of your tips in effect and kiko3d for the links. Hope more people add on to this post to help everyone out. thanx

Y.Y
09-14-2004, 05:10 PM
yhea, this guides are great! thanx a lot!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.