PDA

View Full Version : Can't render other than 30 fps?

Pinstripe
09-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Hi people, I've currently a weird problem with the animation playback of my scene. My image sequence always has 30 fps when I insert it in AfterFX, although I've activated PAL (25fps) for Workunits and Real-Time (25 fps) for Playback Speed in the Preferences. When I try to convert the 30 fps sequence into a 25fps composition, it get's choppy. The same choppiness as in the viewport, when using Real-Time (25fps).The same's with Playblast (not avi, image sequence!). I really want to render out a 25 fps sequence. I'm using Maya 5.01 and Software Rendering. I'd appreciate any help!

anthonymcgrath
09-13-2004, 10:27 AM
Yeah the animation will get choppy as your effectively dropping frames out of the playback when you go from 30fps to 25fps in afx

you can change the default settings from ntsc to pal in your preferences. I think theres a button at the right of the timeline in the corner. Click this, scout thru the options on the right and you should see them change on the left for each section. Theres a setting somewhere to change it to pal.

Another thing to bear in mind - in maya theres a startframe, endframe and a third option "by frame" I think. This is usually set at 1 and tells maya to render 1frame for every frame of animation. well if you set this for example to 0.5 it will render out 2frames for every timeline frame. 0.2 will render out 5frames etc.. Fantastic little tool when you want to slow down some animation at a certain point and get that lovely 300fps film effect or something haha! :D

hope these help
ant
newcastle
uk

Pinstripe
09-13-2004, 11:36 AM
As mentioned above, I already changed it to PAL, from the beginning. But no matter whether I use Batch Rendering or Playblast (and no matter which image format, or resolution), I only get a 30 fps clip into my AFX timeframe. Is that a bug in Maya 5? Why do I always get 30 fps?

anthonymcgrath
09-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Sorry if I sound like I'm making you suck eggs here -just trying to go thru the motions with yer:

have you actually imported the footage/anim into afx at 25fps? I mean - you've told afx to work with 25fps and playback at 25fps but is your sequence actually 'imported' at 25fps? If you right click on the imported file that appears in your project window (top left) and select "interpret footage" you should be able to set the imported sequence from 30 to 25fps.

http://www.maad.co.uk/ants_screengrabs/afx01.jpg

sorry if it sounds a bit obvious but its about the only thing I can think of :(

ant
newcastle
uk

Pinstripe
09-13-2004, 07:48 PM
That's it! Now I get real 25 fps! And it plays as smooth as butter! Thanks a lot anthonymcgrath!

anthonymcgrath
09-14-2004, 12:49 PM
theres actually a default import footage framerate that you can set so you dont have to rightclick and interpret every footage clip. I think its in the preferences under file or edit

ant
carpet scoffler
newcastle
uk

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.