PDA

View Full Version : Does more memory improve rendering time?

Hettinger
09-12-2004, 06:58 AM
I was just wondering if anyone had actual benchmarks on improved rendering time as a result of memory increase. I'm considering upgrading from 512MB to 1GB, but don't want to waste the money if I'm not going to see any performance gain.

MunCHeR
09-12-2004, 07:13 AM
thats not going to be a waste of money trust me (hundreds wouldnt) , mental ray is going to render if you're not going to have to use swap space, dont know if you could find a benchmark on this, theres a thread about the BSP in this forum you might wanna have a squiz at and also set you mental ray render globals mem limit to about 70-75% of your system memory.

Cheers

MunCH

oskar_bertrand
09-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Adding RAM is almost never a waste of money. I recently upgraded my workstation from 1GB to 2GB, and Maya is more pleasant to work with in almost every way. I don't have any pre and post benchmarks, but if you're running Maya with 512 I'd recommend you pick up aluminum cans along the highway if that's what it takes to get more RAM in that machine.

Oskar

dann_stubbs
09-12-2004, 04:03 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had actual benchmarks on improved rendering time as a result of memory increase. I'm considering upgrading from 512MB to 1GB, but don't want to waste the money if I'm not going to see any performance gain.

it will only increase you render times if you are needing more ram then you have. if you render is fitting in the available ram then you will not see an improvement. in fact if you have a scene that fits in ram and add more ram your render could actually slow down a few seconds due to the slight additional overhead the additional ram creates for your system.

but all in all - more ram is usually better as it normally lets the whole system stay out of swap and run faster.

dann

elvis75k
09-13-2004, 12:48 PM
@MunCH: i have 3gig of ram on a dual xeon 2.8Ghz..

what is the value for memory limit in mental ray? 800?? Thanks.

MunCHeR
09-13-2004, 01:10 PM
yeah default is 800, but if you're using windows it will only use 1.6Gb per application as I understand it, I have dual 2.8 xeons and 4Gb RAM and run maya on linux and I havent run out of memory yet, which is a nice change:thumbsup:

Cheers

MunCH

sundialsvc4
09-13-2004, 01:33 PM
You really gotta use some kind of performance-monitor to see what the rendering process is waiting on. Obviously if you see any disk-drive light activity during a render (except when it is saving a frame) more memory is probably called for. But if the process is 100% cpu-busy or nearly so, you're simply maxing-out the CPU and will need a faster one.

Not all motherboards are really equipped to drive the CPU at its "posted speed limit" because that is an on-chip speed and does not consider the actual capacity of the system bus. Some designers cut corners here, because they know that almost nothing an office-user will ever do is "CPU intensive."

Jhabrix
09-24-2004, 08:55 PM
New to Maya so please forgive....

i have a dual PIII (733 mhz) 1GB SDRAM (?)... While rendering, i've noticed that the CPU is maxing out while the RAM usage seems pretty low... steady at about less than 25%... monitored thru Task Manager on a W2K system.....

Just for general info :)

Cheers...

JJ

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.