PDA

View Full Version : How to use the smooth tool in the edit mode?

mill
09-12-2004, 05:07 AM
Hi.
When I model with the transformation tools, the smooth tool doesn't work.
But after using the projection master, the smooth tool works for
only the part deformed in the projection mode.
Is there a way to use the smooth tool in the edit mode?

aminuts
09-12-2004, 07:06 AM
You can use the smooth tool in edit mode anytime. Keep in mind that the higher the subdlevel you are trying to use it at the more it's gonna take to smooth. What I mean by that is if you have a bump in subd level 7 you are going to want to at the very least use it with zintensity at 100%. If you are trying to smooth at level one then 20% or less would be good.

It seems like extra work I know, but you might want to drop it way down in levels....use lower zintensity and smooth til your satisfied then move up a level, up the zintensity a bit and repeat....repeat thru all the levels until the problem is resolved.

You might have to in highest subd levels with zintensity at 100% go over it a few times. It's the way it is.

Having said all that.....that is my experience with the smooth brush and my incredibly outdated computer but hopefully I left ya with a tip or two to solve your problem.

mill
09-14-2004, 04:31 PM
That works!
Thank you very much for your help.

skipstah70
09-16-2004, 10:08 PM
A questiona long the same lines .. Let's say for instance that I have a model at subd6 ..paint lots of fine displacement, and then go to subd4 and smooth at 100 % Will is "erase" what I've done @ level 6? The reason I'm asking is because that it would take forever to clear / smooth the displace back on level 6. There must be a faster way right?

Skipstah

aminuts
09-17-2004, 07:10 AM
Well without seeing the model and the displacement, it's hard to say if a one pass at 100% on subd 4 would completely eliminate it.....but that's why it's best to start low intensity at lower levels.....so you can zoom back up to highest and see results......then go back and either up the intensity or move up a level and up the intensity.

You want to eliminate the problem but not destroy your hard work.....so caution is advised until you get the feel for how the smooth tool does it's thing in each level to achieve the desired results without destroying your hard work!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.