PDA

View Full Version : foundation and zbrush good combo???

Rabid pitbull
09-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Hi all I am currently a lw user but found some real problems getting good results with detailed zbrush objects. I am really considering getting into foundation, but really can't find any workflow or tutorials using subpixel displacement mapping. Could anyone verify that it works and possibly point to a tutorial or workflow explaination???

So far foundation feels great just want to know if there are any brick walls ahead.

Thanks,
James

SheepFactory
09-11-2004, 11:40 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=168519
check out this thread!

Rabid pitbull
09-11-2004, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Will definitly be interested in watching that thread. :thumbsup:

JDex
09-12-2004, 12:10 AM
Here is Google cached thread at the base that helps to understand the process. I am hoping to some day be able to demo Zb2 and try it out for myself.

How to render displacement (http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:ziKYA6_2GkMJ:www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php%3Fboard%3D6%3Baction%3Ddisplay%3Bthreadid%3D13169%3Bprev_next%3Dnext+site:www.xsibase.com+zbrush+AND+xsi&hl=en)

As time goes by... this will become a pretty common XSI pipeline, and there will be lots more information about the topic.

Cheers

Rabid pitbull
09-12-2004, 03:10 AM
That link seems to explain in good detail the process. It seems like xsi does not like the tiff files outputed from zbrush. Apparently they need to be converted to rgb??? Seems wierd. Thanks for the link this looks like what I needed.

R10k
09-12-2004, 06:39 AM
Yep, the displacement needs to be converted to rgb. You can read about the entire process from the practical manual, on zbrush.com

ndog
09-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Once I figure out how to apply a displacement I would like to export the model as an .obj, does anyone know if the .obj will be a high poly mesh with the displacement detail?

If not, is there a work around that will allow me to get the displacement detail as actual mesh deformation.

Kevin Albers
09-14-2004, 12:01 AM
Ndog, you can just export the high-res version of the model from Zbrush as a obj. No need to generate a displacement map if you want the high-res model you detailed in zbrush.

ndog
09-14-2004, 06:14 AM
After playing with XSI it seems like it would be much easier to use XSI to pose the model then export the displaced mesh.

I've tried posing a low poly model and applying the displacement within ZBrush but I end up with distortion in the mesh which of course ended up in the exported obj.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.