PDA

View Full Version : FXWars! Avalanche!: Jonathan161

jonathan161
09-11-2004, 05:54 PM
hey
Here is a quick avalanche simulation i did today. Havnt got much spare time to take part in challenges but thought id have ago.

Here is my first simulation attemp. Just trying to get the motion of the avalanche in this test
www.jonathanwills.co.uk/movies/avalanche.mov (http://www.jonathanwills.co.uk/movies/avalanche.mov)

any comments are most welcome :)

jonathan

LightFreeze
09-12-2004, 01:01 AM
Looks really nice

Is that based on particles?

Triple G
09-12-2004, 02:46 AM
Looks like Maya fluids...? Pretty cool.

jonathan161
09-12-2004, 11:18 AM
cheers :)

yeah its Maya's Fluid Dynamics. Was gonna use particles but decidied there wasnt an easy way to have the particles collide to represent volume in maya, also fluids have dynamic UV's so could get the feel of the detail flowing with the fluid.

Need to add somemore layers i think to give more detail and am not happy with the front of the avalanche yet. Will post anymore work i do on it.

jonathan

HowardM
09-12-2004, 06:52 PM
nice so far!

....wish LW could do that! :p
im sure if I had a month to R&D and 2 months to render I could get close though!

doe
09-14-2004, 01:39 AM
jeah..looks nice..maybe a little bit too much fluffy.
sincerly someone using maya fluids in this piece. how do you set up the geoconnector? i cant get the fluids to clash with the geometry right.
ive tested high values, without any effect, i think that nothing changes. having always a big space between fluid and geometry.
greetings

jonathan161
09-14-2004, 12:59 PM
If i had realflow at home i would use that but maya fluids all i got at mo. In order for me to get the collisions working correctly i made the poly mesh a "make collide" option from the fluid menu. The reason it works is that i have a gravity field acting on the fluid with a magnitude of 1300. And i make the built in fluid gravity setting to zero.

Jonathan

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.