PDA

View Full Version : Environment, sea illustration

AndyBa
09-11-2004, 04:29 PM
http://www.web3dservice.com/andyba/3D/images/2004/Replete_Memories1.jpg

This was done with 3ds max and Photoshop.
Heavy critique is expected on all aspects of illustration.

justicart
09-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Broken board that hangs down looks flat, like cloth. Maybe add extra corrosion or something to the buildings along and a little above the waterline. Maybe little splashes as the small waves hit it? The color is really good. Give some more environment to fade the colors of the buildings as they get farther away, and depth of field. I think it would look good if the buildings had a stronger orangish tint as they get farther away from the camera. Looks really good aside from that. Is that supposed to be a fish in the bottom right? Looks kinda wierd and distracting.

MrLearner
09-11-2004, 04:46 PM
I think it looks nice, great lighting and good use of colourscheme.

Its looks a tad static though...

I see som ripples in the water, maybe you could give it some foam/wave splashes where the buildings meet the water. I think its that kind of details that make a picture "come to life".

And maybe it could use a bit more contrast?

madart
09-11-2004, 04:52 PM
Beautiful image! I like the subject. Now for the critique.

The "fish" is it underwater or a ghost, sort of floating on top of the water? It's a little unclear. (I suppose it would be underwater.)

Maybe there could be more contrast in the colour of the water. There is a blue light on the "domes" in the water, but It's not really reflected or seen in the water. Where is that light source coming from? Or is it in the shade, blue shadow?
The broken, hanging board on the bridge, at first I thought that it was a broken pillar to support the bridge and then I noticed that it was a broken board and that the bridge was a hanging one. Maybe if the broken board was moved to the other side of the broken bridge or something.

(English is not my mother tongue, so I might have made some errors here.)

AndyBa
09-12-2004, 09:12 AM
To all of You: I would really love to create the splashes and make this
picture "come to life" but I don't know how to make them, yet. :) I
will experiment a lot to provide some good results, but if anyone
knows 3ds max and can share some nice ideas I will really appreciate this.

Justicart, I'm not sure about depth of field I know that it will
give more realism but on the over hand I want the viewer to choose where
to focus himself, may be it's a stupid Idea.. may be I just like the
background too much to put it out of focus.. ;)
I love the ideas with extra corrosion and I agree with the fact the
more environment is needed. Thanks for excellent suggestions.

MrLearner, are you sure about the contrast? My monitor is too dark so
I really need other peoples opinions on this matter.

Madart, the fish is underwater. It's a kind of mutated shark that eats
everything that moves. ;) Would it be nicer to show his fin above the
water?
Regarding the blue light it's made in post, but I tried to render some
blue tubes specially for reflections and there were no reflections
because of the buildings. All the reflections from tubes are behind
the camera.

Alistar
10-13-2004, 06:59 PM
You can try to make the splashes with particles.

I would add some character on that bridge. Like a small girl trying to climb over that hole in the bridge.

truism
10-13-2004, 11:28 PM
Hi AndyBa,

It seems that the bridge is too wide for the style that it is. I don't know if you've ever walked on a wooden bridge like this, but you basically *need* to use the ropes on the side to steady yourself so you don't fall. If the creatures who inhabit this world are extremely wide, then that's fine. Otherwise, I would narrow the bridge a bit (maybe to 2/3 to 3/4 of what it is now).

The shark you have in the lower right is too hard to make out. At first I thought it was some sort of reflection from a building out of view of the camera.

The extreme background looks nice, but the middle ground is too clear and well-defined. The depth of field is far too large in this image. Each of the domes is as sharp as the one in front of it. Narrowing the DOF would help make this seem more real.

I agree with the other posters about the waves. It looks like they're travelling away from the camera, which means they should be making *some* sort of turbulence as they hit the dome.

One question: What is that blueish object near the second dome back? Is that supposed to be another shark jumping out of the water?

victor throe
10-14-2004, 01:43 PM
really nice
i dont want to be repetitive so
the lighting is beautiful.....a really nice colour sense.....the only things that i feel let it down are the composition and the contrast.
the contrast does little for impact. desaturate it and you will get a better idea of how flat it is
what is the focus of the image.
currently it feels like it should be the sky and the light beams streaking out of the domes
if this is the case then the overall image could be framed a little better
i would chop off most ofthe bottom
this would give a more pleasing journey for the eye left to right
just my oppinion

AndyBa
10-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Truism, I didn't think of any characters yet. So I don't know how wide the bridge should be. ;)
I just liked it visually as it is...
Regarding the jumping blue spot :) yes it's another shark. Something wrong with it?

What can I do to make the closer shark more visible? Should I diminish the refraction effect?
Thanks.

Victor, I don't really understand what do you mean by contrast. I tried to desaturate the image and it has contrast in my opinion. May be we are talking about different things.
Can you please give an example of an image similar to mine that has the proper contrast.
Thank you very much.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.