PDA

View Full Version : Broadcast Design

justicart
09-11-2004, 10:00 AM
I work for a TV station making the graphics. My problem is that any critiques come from people that think a still picture cut out and keyed over a moving background is amazing. So when it comes to 3D animations, anything I do is the best thing they've seen and I know it can be better but no one can tell me how. I don't see any need for posting wireframes or anything because the logo model is done and isn't what i want critiqued. I want some ideas on how to make the environment better, lighting, reflection, etc.

Here is a 4 second ID idea. The copy is "When you're watching Ann Harder, you are watching News Channel 25." It is about 2.3 megs. The final look of the logo is supposed to be a chrome frame with kind of a stained glass idea for the colored part. Not so much to look like stained glass, but just to let the light through.

Here is the link.
http://g5.justinink.com/annID.mov

Thank you,

MrLearner
09-11-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi

First of all I'm not an animator to the profession myself, but just a mere hobyist. So I don't know if this is gonna make you any happier :)

Ok, heres my critique:
I think it would need more contrast and a littlemore shine to it.
Maybe one or more spots (or reflections of them) that glimpses by on the surface ofthe logo as it swings into position?

And another thing I noticed was that the logo swings from side to side twise. Personaly I'd rather see it go past in one smooth (but accelerating/decelerating) motion. You could try and make it come in relay fast to stop almost to a halt and then accelerate into place again... Just some ideas I got while watching it...

Good luck
/Patrik

elmyrdehory
09-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Yeah - I know where you're coming from ;)

Overall I think it works quite well. I'd personally try and make the fx a bit more original. The IV lighting shining through the letters at the end has been used forever - it's a cliche akin to a lens flare these days. Also - check the smoothness of the animation - it seems to suddenly jump into place at the end - try smoothing out the curves.

One other thing - I'd worry about the width of the white outlines surrounding the logo at the end. They seem a bit thin - probably going to flicker on TV.

The lighting is a bit flat at the start - maybe a couple of coloured spots to give the moving images surfaces a bit more variance in texture.

Best of luck
elmyr

justicart
09-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Server was down for the link. Should work now.

Crusty_Butt
09-11-2004, 05:22 PM
I haven't posted on this forum before, my name is Bret and I'm from Portland, OR USA.

I like the concept, the glass idea needs some work. Are your video cells opaque? One idea is to give the video screens some transparency then make one big animated background (lights?) and put it some distance behind them. This type of layered effect would give it some depth and make it look more glass-like. I think this would also help to visually differentiate the chrome frame from the glass. I can't differentiate the chrome frame in the current animation very well.

One other thing, you might want to start the most prominate video clip on a different frame (at the beginning). She has a really scary expression on her face in that starting frame. A smile would be a bit more welcoming.

Good luck!

justicart
09-12-2004, 07:44 AM
thank you all for the comments. I will work on these monday and have something posted tuesday.

justicart
09-14-2004, 02:55 AM
This project got bumped down the list. I have put some ideas you've given into it, but won't be able to render til later this week.

MrLearner : I put some lights that shine as it goes to full screen and adjusted the motion to make it a smooth motion.

elmyrdehory : I smoothed out the zoom out so it isn't so abrupt. Also thickened to bevel to make the white around the logo thicker. I know the backlighting effect is cliché, however, i feel that it is something that people see that brings the level of professionalism (at least in the audiences eyes) up, especially when the competition is still using 2D animation. For the budget and time constraints, I'm going to say I'll stick with the cheesy backlight, but thank you for the comment. I'll work on using more creative lighting in future projects.

Crusty_Butt : nice name. I moved the focus of the first frame to a more pleasing face. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not sure i completely understand what you mean about the glass. Please explain more. Thanks.

I hope to render this for you soon.

SpiralFace
09-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Just saw your project, I was hoping to just add something in before you render it out.

Like the Idea, but the animation seems alittle roughed out. I agree with the others when I say smooth out the truck out animation at the end, it seems very sudden, Another thing is that the light in the back of the "NEWS CHANNEL" bothers me. It looks great, but you should probably concider having a few frames where the light goes over the logo and you have nothing but the text model. The light rays look nice and all, but they blur out the logo to a degree, you should have at least a few frames at the end of your project where the logo is being displayed with no effects, to let peoples brains digest the logo instead of the effects. I know due to broadcast restrictions, you can't go over the TC count given to you by the station, but I think you can afford to make the light much faster in order to cover up the entirety of the model, and still have it run off the model and leave the viewers with only the station. As it is right now, your light sorce seems to be starting behind the "2" and ending between the "N" and the "E" try to get it to where the light sorce is about large letter size AWAY from the right side of the logo, so people can see all of the text, even if its for a few frames it will help greatly. As it is right now it just seems unfinished.

If you can, Try to match the speed of the camera truck out, with the speed of light animation, although not essential, it will make the effects pop out alittle more.

Although I do agree that that camera truck out is too sudden, if you want, you can keep that animation, and add effects such as motion blur, or inversed radial blur, through iether whatever 3D program your useing, or through a compositing program such as after effects. This will make it seem like the camera is being intentionaly yanked back. Might be a cool thing to try out if you have the time.

Well good luck with everything. I hope I got this to you before you had to render out the final.

justicart
09-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Shadow Slayer : what if the light faded out as it approached the end? instead of moving completely off the logo. and use the light fading out to fade out to black, maybe. I'll try that. Thanks

Crusty_Butt
09-15-2004, 05:19 PM
You can never get glass to look like glass unless you can see something throgh it, even stained glass should have some transparency.

I was trying to say that you might pull off the look of the glass if you allowed something behind it to show through a little. This could be tricky because you wouldn't want to clutter up the video screens with small details showing through. Maybe a bulge or grid type texture so that it looked like hundreds of little windows of light behind your video screens. They would only need to show through a very slight amount.

justicart
09-17-2004, 05:22 AM
Here is the updated version.

http://g5.justinink.com/annid02.mov

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.