PDA

View Full Version : how to start...

Nikodemus
08-08-2002, 07:35 PM
hi everyone.
im using 3ds max., i set up my work space with my front and side drawings on 2 planes... and then it takes me a long time to start modeling because i dont know how to begin, or what the best way to go about building a model is....
i dont have a problem once i actually have something half way done i can model pretty fast... but beginning is really tricky for me.. takes me a long time to make any progress..... is there a good way to begin?
ive tried making a box and generic shapes.. but then i never seem to be able to change that into my final model,
i try just creating new faces.. but that takes forever?
anyone have inside tips cause it seems i waste alot of time in the begining of a new project
thanks

Nemises
08-09-2002, 02:19 AM
Well, anything good is going to take a lot of time anyway, there is no shortcuts really ;)

However, DaveK (www.thehobbitguy.com) has a good head modelling workflow tutorial on his site.

It's for Maya not Max, and uses a "create poly tool" , that I dont know if Max has, but other than that, the method and workflow are pretty much independant of the program you are using.

Teaches you a lot about the importance of topography (edge loops etc..) and a clean mesh (Quads vs tri and stars).

Certainly made me a lot more comfortable about starting a complex shape like a head, or human body

dvornik
08-09-2002, 02:27 AM
I like the Sebulba tutorial workflow for max. But a agree - it will take time no matter what. Untill you've done it many times over and over again.

http://www.polysculpter.fsworld.co.uk/lessons.html

Nikodemus
08-09-2002, 02:38 AM
ok.. thanks :) i will stick with it and hope i get a bit faster with more experience
oh yeah.. forgot to say .. thanks for the links, im reading them now :wip:

08-12-2002, 05:19 AM
Oh wow, im going to try that tutorial tommorow, and see if i can get faster at setting up and starting. I have problems with it :(

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.