PDA

View Full Version : help me animate a pen

pink_kitty
09-10-2004, 06:19 PM
i wanna animate a pen writing somethign in c4d. i know how to model the pen, i think i have an idea about how to animate(either basic or with reverse kines..whutevers) but i have no idea how to make the ink show up. i have a pretty good understanding and im not a newb but i really dont know where to get the info on this so i though i'd come to you all!!

pgrooff
09-29-2004, 02:23 PM
What you can do is to use the proximal shader.
Attach a emitter to the pen, and let the pen follow a spline.
The spline should be the shape of the letters you want to write.
So, then you will have particles in the form of your spline.
Using the proximal, you can change e.g. the color of a plane when the particles are close to it.
Note. Put the emitter close to the plane and give the particles a speed = 0.

Hope this helps. If not I can send you an example.
If you can read Dutch, check my websie www.grooff.net/3d (http://www.grooff.net/3d)
Under tutorials you can find a Proximal tutorial with sources.

toto poto
10-03-2004, 08:11 PM
What you can do is to use the proximal shader.
Attach a emitter to the pen, and let the pen follow a spline.
The spline should be the shape of the letters you want to write.
So, then you will have particles in the form of your spline.
Using the proximal, you can change e.g. the color of a plane when the particles are close to it.
Note. Put the emitter close to the plane and give the particles a speed = 0.

thats a nice solution! could be useful for many other problems, too...

pink_kitty
10-04-2004, 06:32 AM
thx, ill try that

janschevers
10-08-2004, 11:44 AM
You could also use a Sweep NURBS Object and animate its growth. Just let an ellipse (the ink) sweep over a spline (the text you want to write). Set its growth to 0% at the start of your animation and 100% at the end. Attach an Align To Spline-tag (refering to the text-spline) to your pen. Make sure you set the intermediate point of the spline to Uniform. Otherwise the pen moves at a different speed from the ink.
I recently used this method to animate a writing pen myself. Let me know if you want me to send you this example.

Good luck
Jan

augusträsse
10-15-2004, 03:27 PM
if you can't get it to work perfectly with a proximal shader, you could composite the pen following a spline and a picture of the writing in after effects or premier. might take longer though. If you want just the tip of the pen to move apply a target expression.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.