PDA

View Full Version : How do I convert DV 720X568 to 1600X1200

3dmaxguru
09-10-2004, 07:21 AM
I was just thinking, with all these new HD transfers of old negatives to high resolutions, i was wondering if the same could be done for DV footage?

Is there a special program or process I need to follow? Is it possible at all?

Hugh
09-10-2004, 07:54 AM
Try it and see what works....

It's (obviously) going to look a little soft - you'll have to play around with sharpening filters to see what you get...

There's no standard that I know of - it's just a matter of try it and see...

SalaTar
09-10-2004, 11:50 AM
give Algolith CAS a demo
"Content Adaptive Scaler"

I dont know what soft your using but CAS in DF works fairly well

JohnnyRandom
09-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Film is way different than digital, digital is what you see is what you get. Film, negatives especially are only limited to the quality of the stock and the equipment used to scan them.

That's quite a big jump for DV, more than double, I'd be curious to see how it works out. Please keep us posted:)

DiGiman
09-14-2004, 09:08 PM
About a year ago I went to a Panasonic camera demo. It was just a cheesy sales pitch, but...
They had some director there showing a car commercial he had shot in SD resolution, 720x486. But they had up converted it to HD using several techniques, and there was one that looked MUCH better than the others. They had used techniques like just scaling it up in FCP, scaling and sharpening in After Effects and Shake. But the show-stopper was exporting an uncompressed frame sequence from the edit machine, then batch proccessing them in Photoshop with a scale change and a slight blur to remove the compression artifacts, then some edge sharpening and a little film grain.
It was INCREDIBLE. It was not much different than if it had been filmed in HD.

3dmaxguru
09-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Wow that sounds awesome

What is FCP?

DiGiman
09-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Final Cut Pro

JohnnyRandom
09-15-2004, 10:51 PM
But the show-stopper was exporting an uncompressed frame sequence from the edit machine, then batch proccessing them in Photoshop with a scale change and a slight blur to remove the compression artifacts, then some edge sharpening and a little film grain.
It was INCREDIBLE. It was not much different than if it had been filmed in HD.

Nice solution...
good overnighter :)

Thekkur
09-28-2004, 06:59 PM
But even batch processing those frames would take pretty long... isn't there any stand alone product on the market that can process SD to HD quality with the same effect?

BTW (maybe there have already been topics on this) is there no other way to import video in a higher resolution than to enlarge it using scaling software? Isn't there hardware on the market to increase density before importing material?

Wahookah
09-30-2004, 11:16 AM
hi,

thereīs a program called photozoom at http://www.trulyphotomagic.com/shortcut/customer/content.php?page=ourproducts&cat=3&section=product_serie_info

it uses a special algorythm to enlarge photos. itīs not bicubic like most programs do it has an algorythm called s-spline, which is supposed to work better.
thereīs also a batch function, but i canīt tell you if itīs usable, or if itīs too slow, maybe you can download the demo and report....

good luck...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.