PDA

View Full Version : From 3DSmax to XSI, HELP!

javierdl
09-10-2004, 07:07 AM
Hi all,

I am trying to learn the ins and outs of modeling & texture mapping in XSI 4.
I am originally a 3DSmax user. Although I have used max for 4 years now, I am by no means an expert. But it is the 3D applic that I know the best.
This being said, would there be anyone out here who's fairly comfortable with both and can share some tips to make my learning (and possibly transition) as smooth as possible (from a max user perspective).
After snoopying around in XSI I can see that I'll need some bringing up to speed sort of speak mostly for basic modeling tools (especially polygon modeling), like selecting, moving, rotating, scaling, etc. And it wouldn't hurt tools to manipulate vertices too.

Thanks in advance guys :)

DrPepperCan

ssalo
09-10-2004, 07:15 AM
I've used max for about 6 years now and my 30 days trial of xsi is expiring within few days ( XSI rocks and I'm definetely going to buy it within a month). I've been able to tranform almost all my working habits (goods and bads...) to xsi pretty easily so if you have any direct questions, just shoot and I'll try to answer.

-Sami

javierdl
09-10-2004, 08:22 AM
Thanks a bunch Sami :)
You will certainly be of help at one point or another. I'll keep you in mind.
I should say, your words are very encouraging, thanks Sami.

I was actually coming back to this thread to excuse myself for not seeing another one tackling the very same subject ;) "3Dmax to softimage?" (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=166461)
You should head yourself there man, I'm sure you could help more desperate Max users like me ;)

ray-f
09-10-2004, 10:56 AM
XSI rox definitely :buttrock:
i'm a long time max user (do more modeling rather than animation)
speed of polymodeling is very good!
(actually this is the only reason pushed me to XSI)

As i said XSI is realy realy good, my only though is about translating (moving) the components (sub objects) in xsi you have to press button every time you move a component, thats little bit annoying, time lossing and tiresome..

i'm only 2 weeks old in XSI, maybe there is a trick that i dunno yet.. if so, really apologize.

JDex
09-10-2004, 11:00 AM
my only though is about translating (moving) the components (sub objects) in xsi you have to press button every time you move a component, thats little bit annoying, time lossing and tiresome...
Press and release M then move points at will. Press and release M again to deactivate.

ssalo
09-10-2004, 11:02 AM
XSI rox definitely :buttrock:
my only though is about translating (moving) the components (sub objects) in xsi you have to press button every time you move a component, thats little bit annoying, time lossing and tiresome..

i'm only 2 weeks old in XSI, maybe there is a trick that i dunno yet.. if so, really apologize.
Yeah, that's annoying but you can always hit 'm' to select AND move components.

ray-f
09-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Yeah, that's annoying but you can always hit 'm' to select AND move components."m" is button too :)

i'm looking forward, to find an addon that could automaticly activate the selection of current component just after completing of translation/rotation/scale operation..

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.