PDA

View Full Version : XSI + Linux + Video card question

dread65
09-10-2004, 05:04 AM
hey guys,

I am considering installing XSI 4.0 on linux, a lot of people have told me to switch to an Nvidia card, since their driver support is so much better in linux and easier to install to. Right now i have a 9800pro. My question is I cant afford another highend card, and I will probably have to get a 5200 Geforce FX card. Do you think its worth getting this card it costs about 80 dolalrs Canadian. I dont want to fiddle around with XSI and ati card in linux i rathar just save the frustration and time.

Thanks

JDex
09-10-2004, 05:14 AM
I'm not a linux guy so I can't speak to that element of the query... but my XSI experience tells me that Nvidia & XSI cooperate better in general.

dread65
09-10-2004, 05:20 AM
do you think switching from a 9800 pro to a 5200 will be a big difference?

thanks

JDex
09-10-2004, 05:27 AM
You'd be taking a hit on game performance, but a possible step up in XSI usability... again, it's hard for me to directly comment, because my linux experience is quite limited... especially when it comes to hardware compatability.

What is you replacement GFX card budget??? you may be able to get up to a good fx5700 if you don't need all the features. Here (http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=190495&Category_Code=VC-NV) is a Gainward fx5700 for $113USD...

lots
09-11-2004, 07:38 AM
I can tell you that going with Nvidia on your Linux install will make one nasty headache go away.. I see forum post after post on a few linux sites all posting questions on how to get the ATI cards working.. At least with nvidia you do get drivers built for linux, unlike ATI who choses to ignore linux all together ;).. I'm not saying that ATI cards dont work under linux. I'm just saying that its easier to deal with Nvidia. Nvidia drivers more or less work "out of the box" and are normally only a few revisions behind the latest windows drivers. I flat out like the fact that they even develop drivers for linux hardly anyone else does.

as for card performance, i'd say go wit what JDex said. The FX5700LE is a pretty cheap card (cheaper than some of the FX5200s even) and is a better performer.. Though, the Geforce 6600 (Non GT) may be a viable option in the future as well.. (whenever its AGP version comes out) it should be pretty cheap mid to lower 100s i would assume based on the 200 dollar price tag on the GT model

TheLostVertex
09-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Ive installed many things on linux, and to tell you the truth...ATI drivers are the absolute worst thing on earth to install. Also, with every new ATI driver release, it seems like they are programming bugs. Nvidia is way easy to deal with on linux.

wmendez
09-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Nvidia is the way to go for Nix. by the way for V4 you will need driver version 61.07 and up and though not certified FX5700 should be OK.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.