PDA

View Full Version : HALO 2 Announced - Screenshots

bentllama
08-08-2002, 05:23 PM
HALO 2 Announced

After Halo shipped, a lot of people assumed they knew what Bungie would do next. "Of course they'll do a sequel to Halo," went the prevailing wisdom. "They'd be stupid not to capitalize on the success of the first game. And there are so many loose ends to tie up. Yeah, there's definitely a sequel in the works." So it may not come as a surprise to you, dear readers, that we formally announced Halo 2 at X02 in New York City this morning.

I think I can assume that anyone reading about Halo 2 on Bungie's own Halo site probably knows the basics already. You already know Halo 2 is the sequel to Halo. You already know Halo walked off with a ton of rave reviews and Game-of-the-Year awards. You already know the bar has been raised and expectations for a sequel are high. You already know Bungie has no intention of disappointing anyone.

What you really want to know is: "What does it look like? What's new? What's the solo campaign all about? What about multiplayer?" And of course the all-important "When can I get my hands on it?"

The game itself is everything you loved about the original Halo, but with all the knobs turned up to 11 this time round. This is not a quickie "Halo 1.5" follow-up using the same engine. We are using a completely rewritten graphics engine which allows our artists to work in previously unimaginable complexity and detail. Anyone who thinks the original Halo stretched the Xbox's graphical abilities to the limit is mistaken. There are gorgeous new realms to be explored, and Halo 2 will take you there. There will be several new weapons in addition to the reliable old standards from the first game. Not to mention the new vehicles you'll ride into battle. Or the many new enemies you'll face. If you had a hard time with the handful of Covenant races you met in the first game, you may wish to start practicing now; you'll need it when they unleash the rest of their army.

Halo 2 returns you to the role of the Master Chief - still humanity's best weapon against the Covenant. Their defeat at Halo was only temporary, and they are pursuing their goal - the complete obliteration of humankind - with renewed zeal. Human military forces are exhausted and unable to stave off the Covenant's rapid advance toward Earth. Even with the Master Chief back in action, the situation looks dire - and this is at the beginning of the game, before things get a lot worse. In true Bungie tradition, the solo campaign in Halo 2 deepens and expands upon the story that began in the first game: old questions will be answered, new mysteries will unfold, and the truly epic nature of the story will finally be revealed.

Multiplayer is an entirely different kettle of fish. Halo 2 is designed from the ground up to support internet multiplayer games over Xbox Live™. You're no longer limited to playing LAN games against friends who live nearby. What's more, the multiplayer experience is being completely redesigned. The first Halo offered just a glimpse of what we originally had in mind; now, in Halo 2, our designers' vision will come to glorious, explosive fruition.

Screenshots [real time/in game renders!]:
http://www.bungie.net/perlbin/blam.pl?file=/site/1/site/halo/features/screenshots.html
These are taken from the Halo 2 trailer [rendered in game] shown to the press this morning, which will be released to the internet soon.

Desktops:
http://www.bungie.net/perlbin/blam.pl?file=/site/1/site/halo/features/desktops04.html

Best game ever. Rokk.

SeanW
08-08-2002, 05:54 PM
Awesome looking forward to it and the great animations. Do you know if there will be more then 2 player co-op?

lildragon
08-08-2002, 05:58 PM
You the llama!!! :thumbsup:

Black&White
08-08-2002, 06:16 PM
waiting for Halo 1.0 on PC. Has it come on PC

beta
08-08-2002, 06:19 PM
the screen shots look good.

b&w i think the pc ver. comes out around december??? that's what i heard.

JuRrAsStOiL
08-08-2002, 06:43 PM
DAMN, Taking about HALO makes me angry all the time

f*** MICROSOFT! I want HALO for PC not for the
f***ing lame Xbox. If Microsoft hadn't bought
up Bungie I could now play HALO... :thumbsdow

Someone knows something about the release date?!

Bear
08-08-2002, 06:48 PM
JuRrAsStOiL - No need to get angry, even though we'll have to wait we will play HALO for PC by the second quarter of next year.

I really liked HALO, and it's fine by me if they make a sequel, but it isn't a smart move to announce both the sequel and pc version at the same time.

Tennis
08-08-2002, 06:57 PM
ohh man i can't wait :cry:
that game rocks :buttrock: :buttrock:

but like every other game that gets relased, we, the europeans are always the last the get them , ...man, thats not fair :(

bungie: just contact me if you need a beta tester ;)

bentllama
08-08-2002, 07:24 PM
dude drop the 'tude... HALO is coming for PC and MAC... Gearbox is doing the conversion..it is in capable hands...

Originally posted by JuRrAsStOiL
DAMN, Taking about HALO makes me angry all the time

f*** MICROSOFT! I want HALO for PC not for the
f***ing lame Xbox. If Microsoft hadn't bought
up Bungie I could now play HALO... :thumbsdow

Someone knows something about the release date?!

d_hansbury
08-08-2002, 08:06 PM
Is it coming out for Mac? A teacher and so guys at my job have xbox's and LOVE Halo. I only have a ps2 and a mac so I don't have the luxury of playing those games.

Unreal is about the best I can get unless there are other games I haven't found.

Grayson
08-08-2002, 08:33 PM
*GASP* :eek:

That looks VERY cool!
It's amazing how much detail some simple bump maps can add to real-time engines.

/me thinks Doom 3 may have a run for its money ;)

Cadillacs57
08-08-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Bear
JuRrAsStOiL - No need to get angry, even though we'll have to wait we will play HALO for PC by the second quarter of next year.

I really liked HALO, and it's fine by me if they make a sequel, but it isn't a smart move to announce both the sequel and pc version at the same time.

as soon as they release halo for the PC, tons of great FPS will kick that weak halo's ass
terrific strategy by microsoft:thumbsdow

Black&White
08-08-2002, 09:18 PM
Halo and CounterStrike:CoundidtionZer. No other next year. Hope i will buy 2GHz with GeForce4 for DoomIII.

Chris
08-08-2002, 09:38 PM
Awesome! :buttrock: Halos the best game ever! :xtreme:

bentllama
08-08-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Cadillacs57

kick that weak halo's ass

why? how? explain yourself please.

It is fine for someone not to like a game, but I am just curious of your reasons why...

Crazzy Legs
08-08-2002, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the release information. I can't wait. My big question is, when do you think we will be able to take a look at some concept artwork for the game? I guess that would ruin the supprises of the new charactors though. Maybe some new concept art of Master Chief or a Hunter?
I Can't wait to hear more. Thanks again

Agent D
08-08-2002, 11:20 PM
Go easy on the guys that are annoyed with MS, Bungie, etc. I mean, it WOULD have been cool if they went with the original plan, and we were able to play Halo on our PCs/Macs right now, with better graphics, higher resolutions, out of the box internet play, a keyboard and mouse, and not to mention the subtracted $200 price tag of an X-Box. Unfortunately, Halo 2 will be the next big thing by the time we actually get our hands on the original... :sad: :shrug:

Well, Halo 2's graphics look pretty sweet, hopefully they'll be more prompt about porting it to computers, if at all.

playmesumch00ns
08-09-2002, 09:41 AM
Did someone say counterstrike 2's out next year? Man I gotta get broadband...but then I'd never leave the house! I got work to do! no fair!

playmesumch00ns
08-09-2002, 09:46 AM
No it's out in a week!!!!

Black&White
08-09-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by playmesumch00ns
Did someone say counterstrike 2's out next year? Man I gotta get broadband...but then I'd never leave the house! I got work to do! no fair!

i think previous counterstrike was a MOD for halflife. the new counterstrike is a standalone with its own better engine. with a singal player campaign too. new chars. new maps. etc

cdinic
10-29-2004, 07:30 PM
I wish there was somthing new. Halo 2 is just mroe of the same.. I'm pretty disapointed theres nothing new...

2 handed guns and some new bad guys don't cut it

good game tho

-chris

DrEvils
10-29-2004, 07:39 PM
The links don't work for me.... Wish I could see'em, guess I'll just have to wait until the 9th then...

heavyness
10-29-2004, 08:37 PM
I wish there was somthing new. Halo 2 is just mroe of the same.. I'm pretty disapointed theres nothing new...

good game tho

-chris isn't every sequel to every game MORE of the same? thats why there is a sequel, because enough people enjoyed the 1st one. they want more levels, more options, and more of everything. sure, some new stuff thrown in to juice it up, but would you rather them change the entire game? Halo 2 MMORPG Card battle System?

nothing new.... how about online play?

vinteg
10-29-2004, 08:43 PM
The links don't work for me.... Wish I could see'em, guess I'll just have to wait until the 9th then...

Here's the quicktime link of the TV Spot.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_halo_tvextend.html

Stormy151
10-29-2004, 09:16 PM
People crack me up.

There's always people who want something different, then if they had changed it, there would be people that wanted it to stay the same.

A SEQUEL to a game is released to continue the storyline. They aren't going to CHANGE the game a whole lot. What were they supposed to do, make Halo 2 a RTS? It's a first person shooter, the game play mechanics are going to be pretty much the same across the board.

I keep hearing people say (not about Halo 2, but in general) "nothing innovative in the sequel". Well, what WOULD be innovative? The gaming industry is all ears.

Dual wielding, new enemies, new vehicles, new weapons, internet play. More than enough for me.

They could have rushed a sequel just using the same engine 2 years ago. They didn't. They could have just re-released the original Halo with online multiplayer. They didn't. I would have bought either one, and I know a lot of others would have too.

And as an aside, why post in THIS Halo 2 thread? It's 2 years old...

Dirtystimpy
10-29-2004, 09:41 PM
well said Stormy!!

t-man152
10-29-2004, 10:58 PM
And as an aside, why post in THIS Halo 2 thread? It's 2 years old...
I noticed that only halfway after reading it and during the whole time of reading it I was like damn this guy must have been living under a rock for the last two years. thats when I noticed the date and I wondered why someone had brought it back to life for a rant about the game when there are fresher threads about this very subject.

cdinic
10-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Touché

First,
This thread came up when I was searching about a white halo I was getting around my vector objects in combustion 3. I had no idea how old it was.

Second,
I guess I just didn't like Halo 1 enough to enjoy "more of the same". On top of that I like a mouse and keyboard FPS then any console variant. So my opinion is bias from the beginning.

Lastly,
Beta 2 of the original counter strike mod was the best first person shooter, Halo 1 or 2 is far from matching that level of game play.

-Chris

GhostFaced
10-30-2004, 05:54 PM

good game tho

-chris
My question is how do you know it's more of the same? How do you know there aren't any surprises waiting for people that play Halo? More importantly, how do you know that despite it being more of the same - it's still a good game? One things springs to mind....french release...:rolleyes:

Gregwid
10-30-2004, 07:14 PM
Oh thanks bentlama,Halo rules Bottomline.cant wait.:bounce: :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.