PDA

View Full Version : The Death Of The Apple, Omar E Carias (3D)

Climax
09-10-2004, 04:55 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/48606/48606_1094788516_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/48606/48606_1094788516.jpg)

Title: The Death Of The Apple
Name: Omar E Carias
Software: 3ds max, After Effects, Photoshop

This is an idea i had years ago for an watercolor paint, yesterday i ddecided to make it 3d, hope you like it
•Critics of any type are very welcome

mswehli
09-10-2004, 05:49 AM
lol, that is the sweetest apple i've ever seen! only thing i can think of is how about adding abit more apple guts? :) oh, and a 1024x768 version! need a new background lol.

l_carroll
09-10-2004, 05:50 AM
Cool concept, the apple has an expression which reminds of the movie "attack (or return) of the killer tomatos".

Would make a funny little animation actually, if you animated some facial expressions anticipating getting shot with the arrow.

Climax
09-10-2004, 07:28 AM
I posted the image two hours ago and i have some replies already! Great!

• Well it wasn't made to be animated :(,

• I made it today in about 9 hours :P

• Yeah some more guts would have been great, but i was afraid that it could look disgusting:drool:

It is made in 3DsMax 6 with the default tools, the spittle using clay studio, Render using Brazil, Texture in Photoshop and compositing in after effects.

• here, i send u the sketch i made 10 years ago :argh:

childplay
09-10-2004, 08:16 AM
It's great... especially the expression on its face... you see that it\s in pain but will live.. it's great :thumbsup:

all the best

Nikola

Timone
09-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Looks great, I almost feel sorry for that apple =)..

Only crit from me, is that the apple is completely stationary(it isnt blurred like the arrow) and yet the spit is flying off to the left. for the spit to fly like that it seems the apple would need to be moving.

ThomasMahler
09-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Hey Climax,

Very nice work!

Two crits:

1) There is absolutely no specularity on the teeth. They look kinda flat.

2) A very, very slight bumpMap could add a lot to this image! Your apple looks a little too smooth.

Other than that, it's a very cool idea and a great expression!

decembermoon
09-10-2004, 12:06 PM
very nice climax , i really liked :thumbsup:

gherrera
09-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Great :thumbsup: I love the expresión of the apple.

Mucha suerte

Sue3d
09-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Ouch! That must hurt! LOL, poor apple. Great pic. I agree, the apple looks a little too smooth and shiny, though since this is a cartoony image, you might have intended it that way. Maybe you could blur the spit a little, it looks a little glass-like right now. But it's a great image and I love the expression on the poor apple's face. :)

allenatl
09-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Great image, Climax! Just my opinion, but I'd resist the urge to add more realism. You've got just the right mix of cartoon-style and 3d realism that makes this work as a fun, humorous piece. It feels nice and loose, which is rarely seen in 3d art.

Guillermo
09-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Great expression and amazing work! :thumbsup:

solentza
09-10-2004, 04:34 PM
It's good to see something special.
Good job.

Climax
09-10-2004, 04:56 PM
• I agree, Timone thanks for your oppinion:) I thought to add some blur on the apple but was not sure how would it look like, Anyway I'll make another version with all opinions i get here ;)

• Thx Thomas! i guess i was a bit lousy in the teeth, i used a fallof texture but i should have give it more intensity and more specular

• There is actually a bump map on it, i made it just to give some irregularities on the surface, :) maybe i should try putting it in more specific areas

Thanks all of you! It is very rewarding to read all of your comments, this is my very fist image posted ever and I'll keep updating this image thnx to you!:thumbsup:

The Climax

ania
09-10-2004, 06:07 PM
lol that's funny
I wouldn't add blur, it would take the expression off the face
but specularity should be changed

Mysterious X
09-10-2004, 06:50 PM
i LOVE it...only one thing...i think it's tomato red..not apple red..!!

corys311
09-10-2004, 08:00 PM
If you look at the arrow, it looks like the blur is going in both directions. It looks like the arrow itself is in the middle there and there is blur on both sides, including the place that the arrow hasn't even gotten to yet... Other than that, it's a killer image

archerx
09-10-2004, 08:27 PM
wow this is very nice, i like your style, are you really from honduras ?

maddness
09-10-2004, 08:32 PM
whoa!, for a second there i thought this would be another anti-mac posts...

Good stuff, i like the expression on the face, i've never seen anyone shot through the head with an arrow before, so i don't have any experience to make a comparison with.

:thumbsup:

shards
09-10-2004, 11:20 PM
excellent work climax!!I love the concept! :thumbsup:

tnemeth
09-11-2004, 04:29 AM
Awesome, love the expression. My comment would be to maybe add to the exit wound alittle, so that it extrudes outwards as the arrow goes through, like it does on your concept drawing.

paconavarro
09-11-2004, 07:16 AM
Great idea. Never thought in that way about the apples... I think I´ll stop eating them.

I coincide with the teeths and the smoothness of the surface...

Love to see an updated version....

JRBRAZ
09-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Very good. I like a lot the expression. :applause:

Maybe, I just reduce the blur of the arrow.

Climax
09-11-2004, 07:35 PM
I really appreciate all your suggestion and critics! :D

It makes me feel like posting images again!, as i told u this is my very first post and i feel like a child with every new reply to this thread, I'm so glad you liked and i will sure follow all your suggestions to improbe this picture!

• Thanks to you i can see now many little things i didn't when I first released the image!

:beer:

Climax
09-12-2004, 05:40 AM
This is a new version
Personally i feel like some things are better

But please see it for yourself

The Climax

Aearon
09-12-2004, 03:47 PM
wow...very very cool :D i love the expression and general feeling.

great to see all those 3dsmax secrets put to good use ;) ;)

i think there are some great details in the painting that didn't find their way into the 3d version yet, climax. here are some i found, though most of it is probably a question of taste:

- the cheeks look rounder in the painting, and the wrinkles on them are great
- the teeth form a more solid line, i also like their more rectangular look better
- the corners of the mouth look more fleshy
- the general shape is rounder (i think it's the cheeks, and the shading on the top area, in the painting the 'specular' is more wide-spread, indicating the round form)
- the nose is much more defined

now i don't know what your intentions with this are, or if you want to put more time into it... but i'd love to see all this in 3d :D

Climax
09-24-2004, 10:56 PM
To CGTALK for this AWARD!

• And to all the people who has entered to see this image, I'm very glad to receive this award, I really appreciate this incentive, and makes me work harder to keep improving and sharing artwork in this very special artist site.

Thanks to all of you!

isigraphics
09-26-2004, 12:07 AM
heh funny apple!
this work really rocks :buttrock:

ismail

Ali Imran Zaidi
09-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Hi Climax,

The CLIMAX of the apple is quite deadly, nice expression and environment lighting.......

good shot.:thumbsup:

Multiblue
09-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Wow very nice, now I have a new wallpaper :)

statler
09-29-2004, 10:14 AM
A few more crits (from an archer's standpoint):

There should be some apple matter on the broadhead end of the bolt. Both on the head, and on the shaft. Also, try bringing the bolt to the left a bit more in the image, showing it at a slightly later point in the passthrough to further convey the motion. One of the spatter chunks is out past the front of the broadhead, which shouldn't happen from a physics standpoint. This would also be resolved by moving the bolt further to the left in the image. Also, take a look at how the fletching attaches to the bolt. The shaft should still be visible between the fletch (I realize that realism wasn't the ultimate goal here, but...)

Awesome image though! Keep up the good work.

okjoss
09-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Great work man, i like the expresion of the apple, I thingk the arrow is to big... but still like all the idea!

archerxwow this is very nice, i like your style, are you really from honduras ? porque no my friend? veo que andan varios hondureños por aqui:thumbsup: y con trabajos de buena calidad!.. eso no me lo esperava.. felicidades!!

nice work

Sceme
10-05-2004, 08:17 AM
mmm, tasty. I just would like to see more "splash" on the left of the apple where the arrow or what ever it is comes out.

karanta
10-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Great idea :) and an excellent image!

Billybond
10-06-2004, 05:48 PM
This is truely amazing......and very original...I love it !!

Alistar
10-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Cool idea. :)
The only questions is will the arrow stop. If not... what will happen to the apple? ;)

dry_eyz
10-18-2004, 01:13 PM
hey there...that was sum awsome work there...but i'd just like 2 add a few points here

1) the apple lacks secondary motion...looks more like there was sumone there to pin it 2 the floor and drive the arrow right through it rather than it being shot.
2) the other being that the spit/drool shd've been fflying to the right....cos the arrow comin in from the right would've only driven the apple further 2 the left....get my point
well, there u hav it.....other than these.....its FAB !!! way 2 go :buttrock:

Ultron
10-21-2004, 12:48 PM
I think your idea is great - go on like this!!! :thumbsup:

jayezon
10-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Heh, great concept. Great job. Don't think I can add anymore crits that hasn't been mentioned already. Simply great work.

Hayven
10-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Wow, really makes you feel like it could be you.....ouch, I have a headache now.

pureprplaya
11-03-2004, 08:43 PM
I like it, but the drawing to me is more detailed.... the spit, I dont think belongs there at all... but thats just me...

but in the drawing you see the force of the arrow tore through the apple and you see the "skin" being pulled outward... you dont see that in the 3d version... unfortunatley

Climax
11-03-2004, 10:19 PM
I like it, but the drawing to me is more detailed.... the spit, I dont think belongs there at all... but thats just me...

but in the drawing you see the force of the arrow tore through the apple and you see the "skin" being pulled outward... you dont see that in the 3d version... unfortunatley

• Yeah, that's a good point....I just don't know why I didn't do it when I made 3D :shrug:
Thanks a lot 4 your crits ! :thumbsup:

Borro
11-04-2004, 08:41 AM
WOW .... Wonder how i never seen this image! Looks super cool! Love it!

Nekura
11-30-2004, 03:19 AM
Haha!! That's great! I love it! Really nice man.. really nice! :applause:

thundereagle213
12-08-2004, 02:43 AM
The expression on the apples face is priceless. If you made the teeth a little less flat I think it would be awesome. Also I don't think anyone would mind a little more apple guts. Nice work though.

Jackbull
01-03-2005, 06:51 PM
That is a nice lookin apple. Is that an arrow ar a bolt from a cross-bow?
if it is an arrow it is way to short, but I have to say it is a very nice peice of work.

Fanfurra
01-15-2005, 01:48 AM
That's got to be the most funnies picture i ever seen. Good work. :thumbsup:

Fanfurra

essencedesign
01-29-2005, 09:50 PM
Great work buddy...hope to see more work from you soon..... :thumbsup:

Climax
01-29-2005, 11:17 PM
<-:scream: -<

• Thanks to all nice people who have come to give his c&c to this thread, It really is an incentive to keep working hard to improve, learn and share with others in this site.
:bounce:
Thanks Jeremy! I will try to keep my signature updated, so anytime you see one reply from me, you could also visit my "last disasters" :scream: (I expect the same from you!! :thumbsup: )

rcoon
02-06-2005, 12:27 AM
great impact! wanna see more of ur stuff!

Dragonrebourn
02-09-2005, 03:05 AM
This is great!! Man, what a cool idea!

Climax
02-12-2005, 12:10 AM
• rcoon & Dragonrebourn

Thanks buddies! I am glad u like it, hopefully I have some time soon to get another project done :beer:

Virtuoso
03-20-2005, 01:09 AM
Love it......what an expression,it's alive......Well deserved award Omar........Great attention to details and those little extras,they show up real well here.......two thumbs up......way up....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Chesta
04-12-2005, 08:24 AM
looks awesome man only thing i can think of is if maybe the apple was moving when the spit is flying out his mouth? otherwise awesome :D

bennyboy2
04-12-2005, 10:15 AM
I think it would be cool if you stuck it on some kid's head.

Either way, I think you should make a super hi-res print and send it off to a poster company. If I saw this in a store for a few bucks, I'd buy it for sure!

goktugg
04-26-2005, 11:28 PM
wow!...it looks wonderful!...extraordinary face expression*perfect!...Great face*Great comp*interesting idea*Great render***
Congratulations!:)

vampeta
06-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Realy great Idea!

Awesome work! one of my favorites in this gallery!

Cheers :beer: Alex

dahoo0810
09-21-2005, 10:50 PM
That apple looks great...very intense feautures. I wondered if the teeth are supposed to be gapped or not. I really like the colors, its like a real apple with animated edge.

CGTalk Moderation
09-21-2005, 10:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.