PDA

View Full Version : Do ZBrush Users make UVs in ZBrush ?

markyjerky
09-09-2004, 11:14 PM
Do ZBrush Users make UVs in ZBrush ?

I really like the AutoUV style unwraps in Wings3D ... as the cut lines are a great way to get a lot f bang from very little effort.

How do ZBrush USers create their UVs before painting all that great displacement map stuff ?

Is it some kind of per-face atlas weighting by area thing going on in ZBrush ?

aurick
09-09-2004, 11:40 PM
ZBrush offers two different automatic mapping methods called AUVTiles and GUVTiles. The first unwraps every polygon separately onto the texture map, which results in a zero distortion form of mapping. The second unwraps the mesh in the largest possible sections that will still result in distortion-free mapping.

The advantages to both methods is that they are applied with a single click of the mouse (giving you more time to be creative rather than fuss with UV's) and are free of distortions. They are ideal for use with Projection Master because you are able to paint on the surface of the model and then let ZBrush handle the headaches of translating that 3D work into a 2D image. The only downside is that if you wish to do some texture editing in 2D, these mapping methods are not ideal for that, but for most work it would not be an issue.

ZBrush will actually make use of any mapping that has been applied to the OBJ before you import it. So if you prefer to do your mapping in another program, ZBrush will be fine with that as well.

markyjerky
09-10-2004, 01:13 PM
How large on average might a typical humanoid texture need to be ?

To some degree ... I'm sure this depends on the nature of the automatic unwrap.

Is there any way to "partion" the ZBRush automatic UV schemes so that one part of the model gets a disproportionate amount of texture where the user would want it that way ?

chadtheartist
09-10-2004, 02:00 PM
When assigning GUVtiles and AUVtiles, Zbrush has a slider that you can use to adjust the different levels of proportion each polygon gets. So the larger polygons will have the most space on the UV layout. Or at least that's how I think it works, since I don't mess with the options that much. If you have Zbrush, you can do some testing of this and see how it works. Actually, you can do this in the 1.55 demo as well, so even if you don't have Zbrush yet, you can test it out on the demo.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.