PDA

View Full Version : Desperatly seeking UL Media Studio pro users

zon
09-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Hi,

As you may have read in recent posts, i have a problem getting anything half decent when rendering using fields for PAL from lightwave and editing in Uleads Media Studio Pro.

If any of you out there use this editor in combination with lightwave to render to PAL DVD using fields i would love to hear from you as to what settings you use etc..as i am failing miserably and getting hopelessly lost! (pathetic isnt it!).

If you can help....

Zon

zon
09-10-2004, 07:37 AM
I see this is a popular video editor!?

mrunion
09-10-2004, 01:04 PM
I use it, but not for PAL stuff.

uncommongrafx
09-10-2004, 06:23 PM
I've read your other post. No, I don't use the one mentioned, but I have an editor that this has had to be learned with. :banghead:

When you say it looks terrible, upon what device are you viewing it? Tv or computer? Maybe I missed this...

zon
09-11-2004, 08:06 AM
thanks all,

uncommongrafx (asterix inspired?) I am rendering the video to use on PAL TV.

Petrik
09-11-2004, 08:27 AM
To the best of my knowledge you just render out complete frames from Lightwave, import these into your editing software and then do the fields when you export from your editing package.

uncommongrafx
09-11-2004, 12:17 PM
I didn't understand "asterix inspiired" :) Huh?

So, did you get this solved? My question was leading to the thought that if you are looking at it on a computer monitor, it won't (can't) look right. To look right it has to be viewed through a tv set.

Sounds like you got it sorted...

zon
09-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Petrik- Yep done that, rendered frames in lw then fields in editor= jagged outlines!http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

uncommongrafx- havent got it sorted, but thanks anyway! (asterix is a french cartoon who's main charcters names are thus; asterix obelix, getafix, dogmatix etc, etc get my point?...wish i hadnt mentioned it now!)http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

Zon

uncommongrafx
09-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Ahh, got it. Nope, not from there. ;)

The jagged outlines you mention are IN FACT what you want. That's fielding. And like I said before, you CAN NOT check your material on a computer monitor as they will ALWAYS look wrong.

Do you have motion blur on? Turn it off. Fields or Motion, not both. If I remember correctly.

zon
09-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Hello uncommongrafx,

I am checking my material not on a monitor but on a PAL TV! I appreciate fields will look bad on a monitor!
Your point regarding fields or motion blur not both is interesting...This is not something I was aware of..thank you!...may be that is the crucial element in this that is screwing it all up..other than my complete ignorance of TV broadcast techniques of course!!

Zon

Badllarma
09-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi Zon,
Not sure this is much use to you but I've rendered out a fair bit of PAL work and it's always been at full frame (E.G render from Lightwave image sequences) the goes through the compositor and or editor (Prem) and had no problems really.

One really big tip though is use a setting of AT LEAST "Medium AA" other wise depending on the colours within your scene you can get bad edges and artifacts showing up. But thats it really no problems other wise. :thumbsup:

zon
09-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi Badllarma, thanks for your post.

Thats interesting about the AA. I have tried rendering from LW as frames but alas same problem! I intend to post some images of some TV screen shots to better illustrate the problem..maybe you could have a look when they get online? thanks

Zon

zon
09-12-2004, 05:17 PM
If I pressed all the right buttons (never included an image before) you should find some TV shots of the problem i am wrestling with... they are digital camera stills of my edge problem.
This scene is a composite consisting of a background plate rendered with no fields plus the foreground animation rendered with no fields and no blur, I then composited the two together in lightwave with no fields and outputted them using avi no-compression. i then inserted them into MediaStudioPro under the DVD-PAL settings which in this case use Field order A, but eitherway this is pretty much what i am getting regardless of settings !

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.