PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Mini Challenge #2 - Gate to a Tomb (Hexodam)

Hexodam
09-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Here is my start, done in 3dsmax6
Currently stands at 552 polygons but alot of optimizing left to do and I want to add alot of foliage with planes later on. Texturing will be my biggest challange, never done a game model before and only textured one thing for real in my life (see sig:D)

http://notendur.centrum.is/~czar/3d/cgtalk/game2/Render01.jpg

Massoud
09-09-2004, 03:03 AM
very nice model and render

i hope to see a good material.

Hexodam
09-09-2004, 02:31 PM
i hope to see a good material.so do I :D

I'm probably going to add another step, take out the detail in the wall (went way overboard with it) and then add the grass planes and some bits of rock laying around and then the model should be done and off to experiment with the textures

Massoud
09-10-2004, 03:01 AM
nice working program :thumbsup:

we are waiting to see ...

Hexodam
09-11-2004, 05:54 PM
small update, the wireframe in its current state and some preliminary textures, going to free up about 150+ polygons with the damn 6 chain rings, they take up little over 200 polygons:eek: , going to cut it down to having just planes with appropriately mapped alpha textures :)
Then to figure out what to do with the extra polygons I have left, currently stands at 537 polygons.

http://notendur.centrum.is/~czar/3d/cgtalk/game2/Wire01.jpg

Hexodam
09-12-2004, 02:16 AM
haha, this is amazing, how much you learn doing this :thumbsup:

the tiny tiny 6 bits of chain i was using to hold the banners up are now gone, replaced with simple 6 planes with textures on them. gone from that 537 polygon number down to 295 polygons.

What on earth am I supposed to do with all that :D

glynnsmith
09-12-2004, 02:59 AM
individual blades of grass of course :p

i might try that technique for the chains and padlock to be on my gate...is that cheating ?

looking good :) i really like the way you've done your walls, with the slight steps...

no crits

G...

mah-h
09-12-2004, 04:03 PM
i think all meshes must not be togather!

Hexodam
09-12-2004, 04:31 PM
i think all meshes must not be togather!I know but it helps with the vertex coloring to have them the same

Hexodam
09-13-2004, 12:02 AM
I figured out what to do with my other half of the 600 polygons :D

The current state (note textures in the scene are far from finished and are at double the final resolution )
http://notendur.centrum.is/~czar/3d/cgtalk/game2/Render02.jpg

gaggle
09-13-2004, 07:30 AM
Ahahaha, feckin' great idea :). It could look like the vertices are a little unevenly distributed, if I have to say something.. I mean, polys could be spent on altering the outline of the pillars as well, or lay down some gravel on the floor, etc. The squished man is funny though, I'm just commenting on the slightly odd shift in details.

Hexodam
09-13-2004, 08:54 AM
ah, yes you are absolutely correct, hadnt noticed that untill you mentioned it:thumbsup:

Gadric
09-13-2004, 10:22 AM
;-) i like it so far, nice idea with the man :-)

i like the textures maybe you could make the plants with your saved polys, like in my entry, so you are more flexible with your texture and you still have polys like you said..

greets,
Gadric

Hexodam
09-14-2004, 10:58 PM
My last update before I consider the mesh completely finished, stands now at 612 polys, but there is an extra arm and an extra leg at the other side of the pillar which I have to optimise because not all of it will ever be visable. Also I have those grass planes that I can remove if needed. and I have the option of changing the brim of the had to a plane and use the alpha textures for it.

http://notendur.centrum.is/~czar/3d/cgtalk/game2/Render03.jpg
http://notendur.centrum.is/~czar/3d/cgtalk/game2/Wire02.jpg

rob-beddall
09-15-2004, 04:51 AM
hey!!
really like this one. especially now that you have the squished man in it.

wait a minute......is that indy? :)

how do you get those nice soft shadows? do you use Brazil?
if not, how do you get those in Mental Ray?

cheers!!

Hexodam
09-15-2004, 01:48 PM
yeah its indy crushed under the pillar :twisted:

If you are using 3dsmax then to get GI create one skylight, then go to render / something (cant remember where) and search for something called light tracer... then render out with the default light tracer renderer.

dont know how to do this in mental ray since I have never tried

jussing
09-20-2004, 09:05 PM
yeah its indy crushed under the pillar :twisted: Noooooooooooooo, murderer!

Seriously, it's looking really, really cool! Love the textures. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
- Jonas

PS, I'll hold you personally responsible if we don't see an Indy 4

EDIT: PPS, be careful with the Lighttracer... it's got a stoobid way with bump maps. -If you just turn on shadows on the skylight, you can get the same result (but with working bump maps) with the default renderer.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.