PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Runner - 3rd And Final Version, Bobby Chiu (2D)

digital-bobert
09-08-2004, 02:43 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/49534/49534_1140355193_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/49534/49534_1140355193_large.jpg)

Title: Olympic Runner - 3rd And Final Version
Name: Bobby Chiu
Software: (Other)

Here's a sample from my book "Girl Sketches."
7”x10” 80 pages of paintings, sketches, tutorials and tips, guest artists and much more!

Drawings and paintings of all sorts of different girls in all sorts of different styles: fat girls, skinny girls, women of all ages, athletes, witches, cavewomen... etc.

Guest Artists - Kei Acedera, Linda Bergkvist, Jim Bryson, Jason Chan, Robin Mitchell, Jesse Schmidt

Hi everyone. I've finally come to a satifying result with a style I've been developing for a few months.
Driven on forces & motion.
Done in Sketchbook Pro 1.1

digital-bobert
09-08-2004, 04:47 PM
prints avalible at http://www.artofbob.com (http://www.artofbob.com/)

digital-bobert
09-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Oh and here's a link to the original drawing

http://www.artofbob.com/pic11.html

SpaceTik
09-08-2004, 05:07 PM
outstanding work my friend!! I like the fact that u can see more in the first version but I can't decide if I like this one or the previous effort more..

keep it up!

:applause:

Maddlyon
09-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Looks great man,
I dig the liquid element in your works...this one really shines. Each time I see something new, I'm surprised, delighted and impressed...the Art of Bob truly rocks.

marrionate
09-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Really nice work, Just wondering how would she move if moving slowely against a strong force :thumbsup: ...Excellent Drawing.

white ninja
09-08-2004, 09:11 PM
I really like this one! I love how you painted her..very nice style, and your colors/ tones work perfectly! I just really love it.:love:

JARhead
09-09-2004, 12:08 AM
Vary nice work as always. Love the style.

tfwoods3
09-09-2004, 01:41 AM
Cool, I like the look of this. Makes me feel slow....

neelz
09-09-2004, 08:08 AM
Very nice work! I got an animatrix deja vue from your pic :)

digital-bobert
09-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Thank you everyone for the c&c. Your encouraging words are my motivation

SpaceTik - Thank you very much!

Maddlyon - Thanks M! I try :)

marrionate - Thank you. Interesting thought...

white ninja - You're very kind as always. Thank you!!

JAR head - Very nice of you to say. Thank you.

tfwoods3 - hehehe... lay off the pot. jjk Thanks for the comment!

neelz - Thanks!

keight
09-09-2004, 03:08 PM
I've followed this from the first sketch and enjoyed every bit of the trip. While doing some research recently, I came across the photo of Marie-José Pérec at the Atlanta games. I love the way you've not only caught her style and grace and then gone beyond that to beautifully capture and stylize the speed and effort expended in world class track.

JohnDes
09-09-2004, 06:25 PM
I really like you style! Awesome, motion and design. However, as a former collegiate runner/sprinter, I see the physical respresentations as more fluid than speed. There needs to be more power behind the motion they look to fragile...humans aren't graceful runners (like animals) we need power to generate speed. But Overall you are unique in your concept of letting the motion influence the style.

By the way I like the representation of KOSTAS KENTARIS (the disgraced Greek sprinter) as "Runner #3" in the portfolio...BTW, I love seeing track in art!

digital-bobert
09-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Hey front page! Thanks CGTalkers!

I'd also like to thank the people at Alias Sketchbook Pro for their superb sketching program. It's still quite a new program so I hope everyone will give it a try! Get trial version here http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/sketchbook_pro/free_trial.jhtml

digital-bobert
09-09-2004, 07:12 PM
keight - Thank you so much! I'm glad somebody was following along! ;)

JohnDes - Thanks! The style is about different kinds of forces applied on different forms.
example. liquid arms... tornado legs... sandstorm hair and so on.

Big-Boi
09-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Dangggggg Digital Bobert! Great translation from your drawing to painting! The drawing was my favorite runner out of the 3 on your site.

I LOVE the new style! Very different from what we usually see on here! Fresh thinking

Are you going to paint anymore of the athletes on your site!!??!

Absolutely can't wait!

Congrats on the front page too!

white ninja
09-09-2004, 08:05 PM
U deserve a CGTalk award cup!!! I trully admire your work. Administrators..Somebody, give this guy one!! You really know your stuff--Keep up the awesome work. I can't wait to see more from you!

KNBits
09-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Amazing results! It is refreshing to see other and completely different esthetic. Deserve the front page for sure.

Keep us impressed.

Frenchy Pilou
09-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Very cool speedy image :thumbsup:
It's a man or a girl?
Seems variate from the first rough :rolleyes:

isaak
09-09-2004, 09:43 PM
WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!...AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING!!!...oh man I like it very much...simply one of the best, I like the color, dinamism, and details of the muscles of all the body...remember me a PHOTOFINISH!!!
Congratulations...
you have anymore picture wof this characteristics...? I like to see more!!....

Isaak

agflash
09-09-2004, 09:53 PM
Here's a link to a slightly bigger version

Oh and here's a link to the original drawing

lol
Ok, and now how about the inbetweens and we have a real animation. ^_^
no ?
Maybe steps ? ^_~

nice work, really speedy, me like.

Savage_Henry
09-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Looks great man,
I dig the liquid element in your works...this one really shines. Each time I see something new, I'm surprised, delighted and impressed...the Art of Bob truly rocks.
I honestly couldn't have said it better myself.
Your style looks very mature and polished.
I love the boxer and can't believe this one is even better!!

Phrenzy84
09-09-2004, 10:31 PM
yeah i was about to say reminds alot of "world record" very cool rendering (painting rendering that is :).

Crewler
09-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Very fresh and dynamicly feeling, great :thumbsup:.

AVTPro
09-10-2004, 01:33 AM
Sweet work!!

I just started sketching again, this is very inspirational. Nice feeling to it all. And nice dedication. :buttrock:

mehdianim
09-10-2004, 03:37 AM
Well it's obviously good, however I miss the detail you had in your drawing. Also the face of the runner reads better in the original. I'm sure you can tell something is lost between the drawing and the painting. If somehow you could keep the feel of the drawing while adding the color...

phoenix
09-10-2004, 04:47 AM
very stylish ... i really like the way he falling apart

jody
09-10-2004, 06:24 AM
amazing job! i like it!
and your other paintings are very nice too.
great!

TrapperJohn
09-10-2004, 12:53 PM
As usual Bob your tallent makes our software shine! This kind of reminds me of one of the movies on the Animatrix DVD - Takeshi Koike (World Record). Thanks for sharing your work with us.:thumbsup:

Cheers,

Colin Smith (aka TrapperJohn)
Product Manager
Alias

cagey5
09-11-2004, 10:49 AM
An excellent painting, made me want to see more, which led me to the wonderful drawings on your site. A nice variety of style and imagination. It makes me want to get away from the computer and pick up pad and pencil again. And that can never be a bad thing.

sonicstrawbery
09-11-2004, 01:11 PM
talented you are !
Nice painting,very dynamic thing.I also like the sketch you done before. :thumbsup:

bunter
09-11-2004, 02:19 PM
did you ever see umberto boccione's sculpture 'unique forms of continuity in space'?

http://www.moma.org/collection/depts/paint_sculpt/blowups/paint_sculpt_012.html

digital-bobert
09-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Hey thanks everyone for the replies!

Big Boi - Thanks! I'll be selling prints on my website soon so look out for that

White Ninja - Thank you. You are very kind (as always :))

KNBits - Thanks for the kind words!

Frenchy Pilou - Thanks

isaak - Thank you. You'll definitely see more from me

agflash - Thanks. I'll put together a step by step once I get some free time.

Savage_Henry - Thank you. I'm painting the boxer one right now actually. Hope to post it soon.

Phrenzy84 - Thank you

Crewler - Thanks

AVTPro - Thanks

mehdianim - Thank you for your honesty. I feel like I'm on the right track and I like the result. Perhaps it will just have to get better in time.

phoenix - Thanks

jody - Thank you

TrapperJohn - Thanks! Yes I got that a lot! lol... It's actually inspired by a Olympic special that Life magazine put out.

cagey5 - Thank you. I'm so glad that I've inspired you a little!

cipher - Thanks!

bunter - Thanks for the kind words and the link! very interesting!

Jnieuwland
09-14-2004, 01:48 AM
I like the lighting on this version more bobbo. Excellent work man and congrats on the front page feature. "mad styles, bad styles, wiiiicked styels" :buttrock:

Jnieuwland
09-16-2004, 05:32 AM
YEAH!!! YEAH!!:buttrock: bobby's the man! Congrats on the award!! you deserve it :thumbsup:

digital-bobert
09-16-2004, 01:52 PM
J. Nieuwland - Thanks bro! Yours is coming soon enough, I know it.

Cityboy
09-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Bobby,

Your work is great. You have an eye for art that most lack in this business. Keep up the great work!

Ma
09-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Amazing. I love the sense of movement of the image,totally works.
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

MorganRalston
12-05-2004, 02:56 AM
Have you seen the Animatrix? Your drawing is similar to one of those shorts.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.