PDA

View Full Version : texture projection link to object

authentic
09-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Something i have never really understand. If I create a texture projection when i select an object it is attached to this object. It means that if I want this projection to be use by another object i can't. There is no way in the render tree to choose this projection even if the projection is attached to another object.
If I proceed on an other way and i create the texture projection to my destination object. And then if I drag and drop the texture support to another object, it seems ok cause it keeps link "mentaly", but not physically; to the 1st object. Very strange !!!

Ok so here are some questions

1. Maybe is there a way, unknown to me, to use any texture of the scene for any object ????

2. If 1 impossible, Where in the texture support is it specified which object is linked ??? Can we change to another ???

3. For my work It would be too long to proceed to the 2nd way i described a the top of the topic. Indeed the texture will be done in a model that I will import and then i wanna link the texture support to an object in the scene. So has anyone a solution for me ???

Thanks

jamination
09-08-2004, 02:40 PM
try connect to support on the 2nd object and pick the first object's tp

phil

Ablefish
09-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Make sure you're clear on the difference between the Texture Projection and the Texture Support. The TP is a property of an Object ("the UVs") - the Texture Support is a seperate object which is used to define the TP in relation to the object. By default, this Texture Support object (green wireframe in the viewports) is parented to the object when you create a new TP. The relationship between the Support and the Projection has nothing to do with this parent/child relationship - the 'mental' operator can be found under the Texture Projection property in the Cluster folder. Freezing the object or Projection will kill this relationship. (XSI deletes the support if it's no longer being used just to keep things tidy).

You can also create a Texture Projection on a Branch or Group. In this case, a single Texture Support is created - and each object's Texture Projection is defined by this single Support. If you move the support, the texture projection for each object will shift. You can see this in a Texture Editor window. This technique is useful when you want to really "project" a texture onto a group of objects. "Connect Texture to Support" is a similar workflow, letting multiple objects share a Support object.

Hmmm... I'm not sure if I'm answering your questions or not. I'm not sure if you want to know how to copy UVs from one object to another, or why they don't show up in the Rendertree with shared Materials, or what.

Are you dealing with a pipeline where one person is modeling and you're applying uvs?

authentic
09-09-2004, 07:41 AM
It's ok. It must work with the connect to projection function. Anyway all these information were very useful for me to understand the way Xsi use texture projection and support.

SO thanx

bravmm
09-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Maybe this helps too:
http://www.isner.com/tutorials/texture_primer.htm

or check the TurboChi Texturing tutorial on the Softimage website (login req.)

It looks to me you're still confused about the difference between Texture Projections and Supports.
Oh.... Maybe edharriss.com have some tut's on this ;)

cheers,

rob

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.