PDA

View Full Version : Raison D'Ítre, Philip Straub (2D)

Philipstraub
09-08-2004, 05:03 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/35313/35313_1094616177_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/35313/35313_1094616177.jpg)

Title: Raison D'Ítre
Name: Philip Straub
Software: Painter, Photoshop

Some concept art for..well, you know...my little personal projects:)

So....I don't normally do the technology/city/spaceship stuff so I thought I would have some fun. This image did go through a few revisions until I decided on this one. All in all it was a fun little piece and now I have about 100 different ideas from doing this painting...better go work on them, before I forget.

Crits and comments welcome.

Thanks for looking.

>> Hi resolution image << (http://www.philipstraub.com/assets/Concepts/raison_detre3.jpg)

TonyDev
09-08-2004, 06:58 AM
Simply amazing.

Yet not suprising atall coming from you Mr.Straub.

Your work is inspiration.

Tony

Philipstraub
09-08-2004, 01:11 PM
http://www.philipstraub.com/assets/Concepts/raison_detre3.jpg

Philipstraub
09-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Simply amazing.

Yet not suprising atall coming from you Mr.Straub.

Your work is inspiration.

Tony
Thanks so much Tony!

dgpilot
09-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Beautiful colors, nice work! I like the sense of speed on the ships

theCloudmover
09-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Sweet.
:applause:

skyman00
09-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Nice work Phillip!

Philipstraub
09-08-2004, 04:44 PM
thanks for the comments guys!!

Rizo
09-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Really really nice piece, how lond did it take you?
Rizo

Philipstraub
09-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Really really nice piece, how lond did it take you?
Rizo
Hey thanks Rizo. All in all I'd say this took about 15 hours.

Phil

jody
09-09-2004, 09:03 AM
great job!:thumbsup:

digital-bobert
09-09-2004, 07:53 PM
hmmm... coulda sworn I replied to this thread already.. maybe on another forum?

small tiny tiny crit - would have like to see slight variations of color in the dark shadowy areas

Anyhow, I really like the looseness of this piece! bravo!

InTheCity
09-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Beautiful work, especially love the interior lighting that you choose to create.

Aelea
09-09-2004, 08:32 PM
:D

Great mood and perspective Philip. Amazing, a lot of detail without gettin messy. Good job.

shards
09-09-2004, 08:35 PM
wow!!stunning work!! it reminds me some sketch by Feng Zhu! :thumbsup:

Philipstraub
09-09-2004, 08:47 PM
hmmm... coulda sworn I replied to this thread already.. maybe on another forum?

small tiny tiny crit - would have like to see slight variations of color in the dark shadowy areas

Anyhow, I really like the looseness of this piece! bravo!digital_bobert: fantastic crit man...I agree completely. That will definitely be something that I add to the final ...that is if I decide to tighten it up:)

Fitharn
09-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Straubquality. 'nuff said :)

rhemrev
09-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Whoa, excellent work man! The perspective is pretty straight forward, but amazing nonetheless! I'm a big environment junky myself, but I just can't get my designs to pass from the pencil stage to the full cg stage. I would love to hear how you set up your paintings like this, with in particular the tools used to lay out the painting, how you get the straight linework. I myself use the palette knife in combination with tilting the canvas alot, but there must be an easier way....:)

-Edwin

Frenkie
09-09-2004, 09:28 PM
c00l,the speed feels on it.

Max Stalker
09-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Intersting work.
But IMHO:
- there isn't feeling of speed.
- fire of fighters looks add.
- And there is too much ladders.
All the rest - very nice.

Saeed
09-09-2004, 10:05 PM
so nice :applause:

agflash
09-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Really nice work.
Very good perspective-feeling without distortions, dynamic composition and with superb futuristic feeling.
I wonder what parts where done in painter and what in PS. ^^
Btw. nice cold-warm-combination.
So let us see the other 100 then ^__^
Keep it up.

soulburn3d
09-10-2004, 12:51 AM
Very nice. Only two critiques, first, it has every color of the rainbow in there, I like how you have the background one color and the foreground another darker color to lead the eye towards that vanishing point, but perhaps two complementaries would be work better instead of blue, green, red and yellow. And second would be that if you had even more suggestions of buildings in the background it would increase the depth, right now it feels like after the initial structures in the foreground is a big empty space instead of a crowded bustly cityscape (maybe the fog is a bit too heavy?) Otherwise it's cool, I love that little guy in the doorway all the way to the right that you only catch on your like 10th read. :)

- Neil

sketchfiend
09-10-2004, 01:08 AM
Once agian Phil i am in Awe of your work, great stuff my friend, 15 hours on this piece looks like time well spent. Is it an image for something youre working on at EA or just another piece for your folio? In any case keep it up and have a good one.

K:thumbsup: :D

Orkman
09-10-2004, 01:09 AM
Ya know I like how humble Philip is. He is always is so nice in responses, even though he kicks so much "a" and could be a mean and arrogant cuss 'cause his work is that good.

I really like your composition, the use of the light and perspective pulls everything together so nicely. My only thought is maybe some more depth in the piece. Like some more shadow or heavier blur in the background elements. Neat work! :thumbsup:

character
09-10-2004, 01:35 AM
as usual, quality stuff man. is this for a graphic novel or are you gonna make a movie or something? your stuff would look sick in 3d.

souleage
09-10-2004, 02:15 AM
Philipstraub: So nice work! like the lightings and the colors! hoped you finished it :)
Are you contemplation to make some atmosphere and focus for this work ?

motoxpress
09-10-2004, 02:44 AM
Thanks for posting your work-It is truly inspiring to me. I have fallen in love with this type of art and seeing yours really motivates me to develop and sketch.

gl

Captain
09-10-2004, 03:36 AM
Extremely Beautifull if I say so myself.
Most remarkably though is that It just gets my Imagination running all over the place, and I don't know why! Hope to see future stuff!

Philipstraub
09-10-2004, 05:13 AM
Really nice work.
Very good perspective-feeling without distortions, dynamic composition and with superb futuristic feeling.
I wonder what parts where done in painter and what in PS. ^^
Btw. nice cold-warm-combination.
So let us see the other 100 then ^__^
Keep it up.
agflash: Thanks man. This image really is a hogepoge (is that a word, did I spell it right:)) of Painter and Photoshop. I wish I could claim a specific workflow but, I did a little in Painter and then a little in Photoshop until I was happy. A- lot of the perspective layout was achieved with the snap-to-line tool in Painter. It is a bit of a pain the ass to master but once you get it...it is powerful.

......I am working on the next couple of images, if only I could find more time...but my full time job calls me too. Oh, the tortured CG artist..he he:)

Thanks again:)

Phil

Philipstraub
09-10-2004, 05:17 AM
Once agian Phil i am in Awe of your work, great stuff my friend, 15 hours on this piece looks like time well spent. Is it an image for something youre working on at EA or just another piece for your folio? In any case keep it up and have a good one.

K:thumbsup: :D
Sketchfiend: thank you for the fine compliment:) This image isn't for EA....its for a personal book project that will have well over 100 illustrations. Reality is this may not even make the cut....but it is "pre-viz" to help me realize the look of the book and define the story better. Definitely a fun process.

Best,

Phil

phoenix
09-10-2004, 05:43 AM
very lovely work ...

oxyg3n
09-10-2004, 07:11 AM
Just wanted to say that I like your compostion alot. Nice job!

Ecleposs
09-10-2004, 08:19 AM
stuning....great work man:)

Sanskrit
09-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Excellent work mate . Keep em comming , Good Luck :thumbsup:

Philipstraub
09-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Ya know I like how humble Philip is. He is always is so nice in responses, even though he kicks so much "a" and could be a mean and arrogant cuss 'cause his work is that good.

I really like your composition, the use of the light and perspective pulls everything together so nicely. My only thought is maybe some more depth in the piece. Like some more shadow or heavier blur in the background elements. Neat work! :thumbsup:
Hey, thanks Orkman! If I actually thought I "kicked ass" I probably wouldn't continue to try and improve, right?

DanielVFX
09-10-2004, 07:17 PM
the little rotation in your composition looks greate:)

noelt
09-11-2004, 11:10 AM
hi Phil, this is nice but it's very Feng Zhu which means all straight lines according to the laws of perspective and you (usually)are more organic, when i first saw this i never guessed that it was you. i like the direction it's more.....i can't think of what it more of but it's good. i'm getting into this technological way of thinking as well (flying pods, robots, high tech cities etc.), are you thinking about Robot design as well? my one critique is , i think this needs more Phil Straub (dreams and spirituality vibe). how did you draw the straight lines??

noelt
09-11-2004, 11:49 AM
Hi Phil, nice work here i thought this was Feng Zhu because of the straight lines. I like the new direction i'm kind of making this type of style tweek myself. How are you drawing these straight lines?? it's very tough to do freehand in painter, i noticed you said the snap to tool ,is that that the press "V" option, or is that a new thing. Could you give a little more detail on the straight lines? My one critigue is that this needs more Phil Straub (dreams and spirituality vibe) and less Feng (straight lines in perspective). Keep the lines but add some humanity to it...... add some little people too (for scale). You ARE getting better in my opinion, i only hope to be as good as the old Phil.

Philipstraub
09-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Noelt: Hi there...glad you like the work! I have heard the feng comparison a few times with this piece....I take it as a compliment, he's a great artist. I will, say I've been using perspective lines to help define detail and lead the eye for some time now. Much of the work that I've done in the past that has this flavor is protected by NDA, so I can't show it.

As far as adding more Phil Straub to the piece...well here's the thing...I absolutely must step out of my shoes *what I normally do) in order to improve myself as an artist. If everything I did looked more like "what I'm known for" then I would never improve, get better, or find ways to expand my "style". Since I don't normally do the technology thing, it was a big step forward and in the direction for me to complete this piece. It helps to broaden my skills and become more commercially viable.

Your comment with the people..well yeh they are suggested in there on some of the stairs looking things..perhaps I will define them better.

Thanks for the comment.

noelt
09-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Phil i really respect your desire and drive to stretch out your style, this really inspires me to see an artist as great as yourself move forward and not rest on past achievemments. The Fend remark was a compliment i'm going thru his DVD now (fundamentals of shot design), i guess i just really like the spiritual relm of your past work and i do realize that this is an addition not a total change overall. I will add some of my own work (for feedback) in a week or two i hope to learn much from this forum.

I was wondering how you drew those lines Phil, i know you can't go into detail but briefly maybe.....PLeeeeeese. ;)

Philipstraub
09-12-2004, 01:57 AM
Phil i really respect your desire and drive to stretch out your style, this really inspires me to see an artist as great as yourself move forward and not rest on past achievemments. The Fend remark was a compliment i'm going thru his DVD now (fundamentals of shot design), i guess i just really like the spiritual relm of your past work and i do realize that this is an addition not a total change overall. I will add some of my own work (for feedback) in a week or two i hope to learn much from this forum.

I was wondering how you drew those lines Phil, i know you can't go into detail but briefly maybe.....PLeeeeeese. ;)
noelt: I really appreciate you wanting me to continue on with the "spiritual" stuff...no worries, I will....that is where my heart is. I'm also glad to hear you're not sick of that stuff yet. I look forward to seeing your work, let me know when you post:)

As far as how I drew the lines...it's really so hard to explain with text...but extremely simple to demonstrate. Basically in Painter for the lines I use the cover brush and quickly draw the lines either freehand or with the straight line option that is on the top menu bar for each brush. Painter has this nifty little feature that if you draw quickly and steady enough with the freehand option, it sort of interprets that you want a straight line and completes it for you. I really don't know how else to explain it. It will work with any of the brushes or meduims in Painter...some seem to respond better than other. Give it a try...try to be as steady as you can when creating a stroke...and it will respond.
If that doesn't work you can always use the line tool in Photoshop...that a no-brainer:)

I hope that makes at least a little sense.

Phil

siftingsand
09-12-2004, 04:48 AM
Good Work... ! looks great

-Justin-

sketchfiend
09-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Sketchfiend: thank you for the fine compliment:) This image isn't for EA....its for a personal book project that will have well over 100 illustrations. Reality is this may not even make the cut....but it is "pre-viz" to help me realize the look of the book and define the story better. Definitely a fun process.

Best,

Phil
I'll look forward to your book, definately put me down for a copy.:deal: Ive recently gotten a hold of my limited edition D'artiste and i have to say i really got a lot of great ideas reading about how you created the 'dreaming tree'.

Also i totally agree with a lot of the artists you chose for your mini crits, there are some great works in your selection, my personal faves being "her Silent Silluette", "lost Gods", and "devastation". Excellent choices, In any case good luck with your book, I only hope that one day my own stuff will get to the stage where i will be able to proudly display it on the forums or in a book of my own.

Keep it up:thumbsup:

Philipstraub
09-12-2004, 04:31 PM
psy_parasite: Thanks.

sketchfiend: Really glad to hear that you are getting good use out of d'artiste! Yeh, the artists that are in my gallery are all top notch, I was really psyched I was able to get them in there.

Thanks again for the encouragement on the book!

Best,

Phil

Ninjac
09-12-2004, 08:15 PM
just a question of resolutions. What is the typical dpi you normally work at? Is it usually for print? or just on monitor display? I personally wonder about this because when I do digital paintings, i at least work at and on 8.5x 11 300dpi. just so if I want to print it out, but then I'm working against my ram and it definitely takes away the fun out of painting fast after your file becomes so large and each stroke gets slower to compute.

\v/iLLco

Philipstraub
09-12-2004, 08:23 PM
just a question of resolutions. What is the typical dpi you normally work at? Is it usually for print? or just on monitor display? I personally wonder about this because when I do digital paintings, i at least work at and on 8.5x 11 300dpi. just so if I want to print it out, but then I'm working against my ram and it definitely takes away the fun out of painting fast after your file becomes so large and each stroke gets slower to compute.

\v/iLLco
Ninjac: I do usually work at print resolution, I do try and keep the amount of layers down as much as possible so not to bog down my machine. I would say there has to be a delicate balance between the size of your file and the capabilities of your machine. If the file is so big that it's slowing your workflow down then you need to rethink your se-up or painting process.
Make sense?

Phil

Rass
09-16-2004, 08:47 AM
I like the colors, have armony, good job man!

karanta
10-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Amazing work :thumbsup:

mimawoai
10-09-2004, 10:28 AM
nice job!keep up.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.