PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Mini Challenge#2 "Gate to a tomb" (Rogelio Olguin)

RO
09-07-2004, 11:12 PM
I gota say this test is pretty limited and isane lol... Besides that I had fun. :) This is semi realistic, but mostly fantasy. The poly count is 452 but it is closer to 594 with the backfaced doors part of the mesh actually added in.

http://onlinewarriors.beyondunreal.com/GateROG.jpg

Hope you like it :D

Oh I saw that no lighting is allowed... with the exception to vertex lighting. Ill have to burn it in I guess.

gaggle
09-08-2004, 09:20 AM
I think it looks really nice.

The builing strikes me as a little bit.. abstract in a way. The shape and intended function was difficult to parse at first. It's the amount of details to take in I think, it just took me a while to "get" what I was looking at. It's terrific milage you've gotten out of those textures for sure.

RO
09-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks :) I have never done a peice with so little amount of textures in my life. So this was an intresting experiance in saving up textures. I will do a few more till this challenge ends since this only took me around 6 hours total to make and texture. I guess to get the prelit vertex lighting ill import it into Unrealed so I can vertex light it in a real time engine and also able to see the alphas better.

I actually like this shape a lot for this door I might just go and make a whole level with this look later on. of course higher poly and bigger textures.

RoGreg
09-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Looks good,
although I can't really make out the entrance itself. :rolleyes:

But otherwise :thumbsup:

RO
09-08-2004, 03:18 PM
yeah it is kind of hard since the look is kind of busy. The doors or gate doors are right in the middle it is double doors. And well the doors are really tall but it has handle below. I got inspired by some aztec designs and others, like oriental etc. This weekend ill put up the finished shots of this one.

alexyork
09-08-2004, 04:13 PM
this looks brilliant :) really nice design.

so you baked everything to textures then? i thought we weren't allowed to do that - we have to use pre-lighting? if you did bake them, what resolution did you bake the texture to? 128x128?

RO
09-08-2004, 05:16 PM
no it is not baked :|

For the lighting I am going to import it into Unreal Tournament 2004 unrealed3 to get the vertex lighting since it is easier just doing in the engine instead of selecting each vertex and using a color for it... Plus I do not have a clue how to do vertex lighting in max...

If we were able to add an alpha to the BMP we might be able to use shaders to make some hacked in lighting. But nope we only have two TGA alphas to work with :|

Either way this has been fun lol. I have worked on a few games including UT2K4 with Epic and this is the first time I have had to do something with these restrictions. Just for these restrictions it got my mind working on how to do something that looks nice... And surprisingly you can do a good bit with that limited amount of texture work.

TRyanD
09-08-2004, 11:46 PM
Nice, good to see you here!

Massoud
09-09-2004, 03:08 AM
Very nice work with low polygon :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

mah-h
09-12-2004, 04:19 PM
i realy want to know how you makeyour materials that they have goog quality at render

RO
09-13-2004, 01:15 AM
It is easier to keep textures looking good that have lines instead of complicated shapes. As you see the shapes that look best at low resolution are the lines if you look at the round shapes it looks pretty bad at places. Another thing is that going with too much rough detail on the white would make it look pretty bad so the detail that is in, is sort of just a glance at what it should be... more like a shade. Like when you draw the shadows when doing a gesture drawing of the basic form. It is mostly just the general shape instead of the real detail. At least this is how I went with this texture.

Another important note that most people do not follow when making skins or textures is starting with a bigger texture and later reducing. That is what I did with this texture, I made a 512x512 and once I was finished I decreased it to a 128x128 so the sharpness of the shapes were as sharp as possible when reduced. When finally reduced to 128x128 some parts got blurred a tad so I had to go and redraw or sharpen when needed. I was most likly not needed to have 512x512 size when later reducing to 128x128... It is best to would be the double of the texture you want to get at the end.

RO
09-18-2004, 09:09 PM
Done with the the mesh :) Same poly count as before but now it has vertex lighting. I did the vertex lighting in the Unreal engine.

http://onlinewarriors.beyondunreal.com/GateROG2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.