PDA

View Full Version : Creating Pictures From Scratch

Darobat
09-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Greetings
I have done abstract graphics and sigs for forums for a fair time with photoshop, but I would like to try something more ambitious. I have no idea how I would begin to create an actual picture from scratch! Does anyone have any tutorials for creating pictures. If your not sure what I mean, I mean like this: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=167500. Obviously not that big, but that kind of thing; where its not abstract. Any tips you can give me would be great! Thanks.

Ultimatum
09-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Well, first of all you need to know how to draw and paint. Usually these awesome artists have been doing this since age 3 so doing this kinda artwork is not something you can learn from a single tutorial. It needs basically skills which a person were either born with or has practised a LOT. And Iīm not saying you donīt have that but thatīs just how it is.

Iīm not a very good digital painter but I think the method of painting the kinda stuff you were referring to goes like this :

1. You get an idea for a subject
2. You make multiple sketches with pencil and paper
3. You pick the best concept and continue from that

In Photoshop :

1. Either scan your best sketch or re-draw it with a tablet
2. Set the sketch as a background layer and start painting the colors over your sketch on new layers
3. Next step is to set the shadows and highlights
4. Adding details

This might take you days or even weeks, so you gotta be very patient when doing this kind of artwork. Practising makes a master. :)

This wasnīt very helpful but maybe you can start now on your own.

- Ultimatum

BTW, hereīs one tutorial :

http://www.drawthrough.com/tutorials/indoorbike.html

kraal
09-09-2004, 12:45 AM
what you are trying to emulate is very complex.... first question is can you do a drawing close to that in pencil? or any other medium.... if not the learning photoshop is not going to help... all it really takes is the understanding on art then knowing what photoshop can do ... what can channels do? what can layer modes do?

dbluewolf
09-09-2004, 05:09 PM
OMG!!! the picture that u have referred is a waaaaaaaaaay complicated picture.. i need 10 more years before i draw and paint like that man..
but if u know how to draw already, thts great, but if u dont, hmm.. then i guess u need to start with something simple.. perhaps a box? *i am actually not kidding, this is wht Scott ROBERTSON would ask u to do if u go for an advice to him*

_wolf

Elysian
09-10-2004, 01:17 AM
OMG!!! the picture that u have referred is a waaaaaaaaaay complicated picture.. i need 10 more years before i draw and paint like that man..I don't think he meant to make exactly that one, I mean that's a great artist.

I do think that lots of people underestimate themselves. I never considered myself a person with lots of artistic talents and knowing that eased my mind. Suddenly I had fun what I was doing and learning. I worked hard, showed interest in painting, vectors, 3D and photography and when I look at my stuff now... well, I never imagined to get this far.

So don't underestimate yourself; there is a lot of potential in everyone and it's up to each one of us to find out what that potential is, but it doesn't come easy; it means a lot of hard work, determination, interest and above all; having a lot of fun! Without any of these you won't discover your true potential, trust me ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.