PDA

View Full Version : does xsi take advantage

haitz
09-07-2004, 12:47 AM
of double xeon within doing anything? from the beginning? or have i to do something to use both cpu's .

JDex
09-07-2004, 12:50 AM
Yes... AFAIK XSI and MR will utilize both processors out of the box.

To check, open the Windows Task Manager (provided you're on Win) and run a render or simulation and observe the processor use.

dotTom
09-07-2004, 05:15 AM
Well like a lot of 3D apps, XSI is heavily multi-threaded, and as such having more than one physical processor gives the OS the oportunity to schedule more than one thread at a time - giving you true concurrency.

I've always used dual proc boxes (I currently use a dual 3.6 Precision 470) - they are not only clearly more productive but far more pleasent to use. It's like being in a car with/without suspension, it's a smoother ride.

I'm not an Intel zealot so go AMD if you want, but if you can, go dual processor you won't regret it.

T4D
09-07-2004, 10:32 AM
XSI dual proformance is excellent

and dual processor are a must, last month i melted a CPu on my main box ( Fan stopped ) using a single cpu for 2 weeks WOW switching to photoshop or any app was a true pain to work with
and there was a big drop in generial speed in the OS anyway upgrade the Cpu's and everything back to dual cpu speed :buttrock:

wurp
09-07-2004, 10:49 AM
AFAIK xsi wont use dual cpus for anything but rendering and when comping in the fxtree, so if you're for example only animating dual cpus will be a waste. If you're doing a lot of rendering and stuff its ofcourse worth to get a dual, but what I found is that XSI actually responds slower when rendering using dual CPUs. For example if you're changing a value or moving a window while rendering on a dual box in xsi it updates a lot slower compared to a single cpu machine. I would say go dual if you work professionally and are working a lot with rendering, otherwise go single.

JDex
09-07-2004, 11:10 AM
hmmm... both of my processors seem to spike if I do a large particle sim... but one does come down faster than the other through the calculation.

T4D
09-07-2004, 11:31 AM
what about render region ?
i uses it alot and the dual cpu's speeds it up

wurp
09-07-2004, 11:40 AM
It's exactly the same as rendering in batch or any other way with mental ray man.

what about render region ?
i uses it alot and the dual cpu's speeds it up

Chinny
09-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Hi guys

XSI UI is multithreaded, so is the compositor as well as rendering (including the region) some defomers as well as rendermap.

They will all take advantage of hyperthreading too.

Chin

thebigMuh
09-08-2004, 12:02 AM
Hair _generation_ is not multithreaded it seems.

*nudge* *nudge*

Ciao, ímuh!

RayenD
09-08-2004, 01:17 AM
Is envelope included in "some deformers" or not? :)

Chinny
09-09-2004, 07:32 PM
>>>Is envelope included in "some deformers" or not? :)

Yes - Envelope, Cage Deform and Lattice. But alas not hair. Soz

Chin

RayenD
09-09-2004, 09:49 PM
That's really nice to know. I noticed performance boost between single and duals in animation, but wasn't sure. Got another argument to spend cash on these dual opterons :). Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.