PDA

View Full Version : Clusters Falloff

RAINpit
09-06-2004, 04:39 PM
hya
is there anyway u can create a falloff on clusters? (a' la cluster weight paint tool - maya)
I'll be a little more specific: everytime u make a cluster, whether it is made up of polys or verts,
and u move it, the polys and verts that make up that cluster move all at the same time with the same weight. Now is there a way to paint the weight of a cluster, so for example the outer part of the cluster moves less than the inner part? (like proportional modeling does when u model)
maybe plugging a weight map to the cluster or something?
thanx

chesterjoe
09-06-2004, 04:43 PM
afaik nothing to paint "cluster weights" but you can use the proportional tool ( prop button in the MCP) it lets you move components ( polys for example) in a weighted fashion. If you right mouse click on the prop button you get it's options.
Hope this helps.

mr Bob
09-06-2004, 05:11 PM
you can ,

Select the element to which you want to apply a weight map:

If you select a cluster, the weight map will be applied to it.

If you select an object, a cluster will be created for all the points on the object and the weight map will be applied to the cluster.

<li>If you tag (select) points, a cluster will be created and the weight map will be applied to the cluster.

look under weight maps in the manual its all there

B

RAINpit
09-07-2004, 08:55 AM
thanx
i'm just lazy sometimes

chesterjoe
09-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanks Mr. Bob nice tip, did'nt know weightmaps could affect also position and scaling of clusters.

Ablefish
09-08-2004, 11:15 PM
When you apply a weight map to a cluster, you end up with a weight map with a limited range - you can only paint the points included in the cluster. This isn't enough to create the falloff - any more than a weight map painted on an object will create falloff with the base transformation tools. That weightmap has to be piped into some kind of deformer (say Push for example).

To get the effect that RAINpit is looking for, you can use the command to Create a Cluster with Center. What this is really doing is creating a null at the cluster's Center of Geometry and then applying a Cluster Center Deformer. This still doesn't give you falloff. To do that, you need to Connect a weight map to the amplitude of the Cluster Center Deformer. This weight map can be attached to the object, or the cluster - the deformer doesn't care. All it does is multiply it's effect (amplitude) by the 0-1 value of the weight map.

It's definitely not a one command process, but it really isn't as troublesome as it sounds once you've done it a few times.

RAINpit
09-09-2004, 06:31 AM
interesting technique, ablefish

will look into it
fenks

foxco
09-21-2004, 11:54 PM
The Amplitude wont allow me to choose the weightmap on the object, it only alows me to choose the map on the cluster itself, which sucks because that only limits me to the cluster points, arggg!!! i cant seem to get a weightmap linked that will give the falloff, is there a detail not said above?

Fox

Ablefish
09-22-2004, 12:18 AM
No biggie - you can either select the cluster and create a new weightmap which you will then be able to connect to the amplitude.

Or, if you've already painted up a masterpiece of a weightmap on the object (in other words, on a point cluster containing all the object's points), you'll have to add the missing points to the cluster - (select points, shift-select the cluster in an explorer, Edit->Add To Cluster). Once you've done that, then you can copy and paste or ctrl drag the weight map onto the cluster.

Generally, if a deformer is applied to a cluster, it will only 'understand' weightmaps with the same number of points.

Btw, the copy and pasting of the weight map will work even to a poly cluster, but the display will be messed up. It works, and you can adjust the paintjob but it's not pretty.

foxco
09-22-2004, 12:28 AM
oh , well then i was just under the impression that you can creat say a cluster with 1 point and apply a weight map that would give fall off to any points around it wether or not the effect points were a part of the cluster. hmmm

Fox

Ablefish
09-22-2004, 12:57 AM
Well, something like that is going on behind the scenes with the proportional modeling. If you turn on proportional and move a point and then press W - you can see a weight map, even though it isn't present and no clusters are used. It seems like a visual representation of the falloff - you can adjust the Distance limit in the proportional op and see the weight map change. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

foxco
09-23-2004, 09:23 PM
yup that i knew about prop modeling, i model with proportional showing the weight. But its not what i was thinking, i just Had the wrong idea originaly, anyways, just have to make bigger clusters now that i understand it ;)

Cheers
Fox

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.