PDA

View Full Version : Rg002_200_03, Shawn Alan Peters (2D)

shawnalanpeters
09-06-2004, 04:40 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/73439/73439_1094485206_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/73439/73439_1094485206.jpg)

Title: Rg002_200_03
Name: Shawn Alan Peters
Software: Photoshop

I have sbmitted this in the past ..and didn't have any luck..so I wanted to try it again.
-now that the site is updated.

I love this peice..and just want some feedback.
I think I am going to continue with a series of six.

giza
09-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Nice cyborg, I like her face, a little less her body. by the way, a good work.

Phillip Kortlang
09-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Woaaah flashbacks are coming to my mind. :) Björk - All Is Full Of Love directed by Chris Cunningham.
A great video and a great piece of yours. it looks so clean, so untouched. I wonder what resolution you used. I'm also impressed by the little details, the reflections etc. pretty nice.

The cables coming out of her head remind me a bit of the predators "dreadlocks" by the way.

I _personally_ think that you should spend some more time on the cables' shadows and maybe think about the outline around her breast.

Kansai
09-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Yeah I have seen this piece around on other sites "cgchannel.com". I think its a great piece the over all character design is really nice. I like your painting technique and I am trying to achieve the same effect with photoshop. The suttle shading on the lips and the gloss high lights over the eyes to me really give the character and energy of realisim . Great painting one of my favorites. Do you have a link to your site. Or a chance to quote on some of the painting techniques used in this piece. Please continue the series

frogchild
09-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Hey very cool.

Reminds me of Chris Cunningham's All Is Full of Love music video.
I mean that in a good way.

the rendering is some smooth and even it almost makes if feel like vector art. I dig it.

leandromartins
09-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Very good render!
=D

Akiman
09-07-2004, 12:51 AM
Smooth and beautiful i like it.love the smooth lightning.love that yellow eyes.No crit to say nice work.:thumbsup:

Ufu'uk
09-07-2004, 09:34 AM
no crits, really great light:thumbsup:

Jeev
09-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Nice and clean! :D
and its unbeliveable the way you did the light
:thumbsup:

Dennik
09-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Realy nice and smooth illustration you got there. :) My only crit is that the tentacles coming from the back of her head, have been overused as a concept, from various artists so far. :shrug:

RazzMataz
09-07-2004, 05:15 PM
That's smooth. Nice work!

shawnalanpeters
09-07-2004, 10:56 PM
truth is...it all started with the storm trooper...Cunnigham included. I can't think of any other B&W character that goes back further.

I wanted to touch on the heavy black lines included in the piece. I originally drew the piece
with the intention of it serving two purposes at two different times. I wanted to enter a new piece in two upcoming juried shows/annuals. The first deadline was a week away ..so I thought I would do a tight line drawing and paint simple colors behind it. The second image would be a more finished/rendered version of the first minus the lines. Well, 3 days into coloring and my hard drive broke. So, I missed the 1st deadline. After a 2 week struggle I got my machine up and running and recovered my original work... It was a race to the finish..and I never did remove all of the lines. The lines are a result of going to fast and not stepping back to look at it. I have often debated taking them out and putting a few more days into painting. But it is what it is and on to the next one.

idiot box
09-08-2004, 03:18 AM
Nice stuff, I like the overall smoothness of the picture. Nice.

TOMKAT
09-08-2004, 05:00 AM
Very clean and detailed! I like the design too. :)

HuiTian
09-08-2004, 06:50 AM
wow!i like your style! beautiful girl! :thumbsup:

Fernando Lucas
09-08-2004, 12:35 PM
with a power of these, who needs 3d? :thumbsup:

shawnalanpeters
09-08-2004, 03:43 PM
It looks like I am going to have to create something with a rough surface next.

shawnalanpeters
09-08-2004, 04:09 PM
hey guys...don't forget ..to rate this image..I am hoping to get this into the choice gallery.

and thnks Fernando..that is a pretty bi complement.

Rizo
09-08-2004, 06:07 PM
At first sight i tought at that Aerosmith CD "Just Push Play" (also know as "Just Push Stop") because the girl is pretty organic after all.. the robots at the Bjork video are purely mecanich, this one is more organic than mecanic (expect for the ears and hair).. Really great work by the way....!
Rizo

Phillip Kortlang
09-08-2004, 09:51 PM
At first sight i tought at that Aerosmith CD "Just Push Play" (also know as "Just Push Stop") because the girl is pretty organic after all.. the robots at the Bjork video are purely mecanich, this one is more organic than mecanic (expect for the ears and hair).. Really great work by the way....!
Rizo
ye you're right. cunningham compensates that with emotions (kissing and stuff)
shawn: 5 stars now, mate.

Addiso
09-11-2004, 07:26 AM
Fine tones and coloring.As far as I can tell it has more of a vector based look, like it was done in Illustrator or Corel Draw so I was surprised that it was done in Photoshop.

The reference must have been Veronica Zemanova. But of course I could be wrong.
Waiting for the next five in the series.

Keep it coming.

shawnalanpeters
09-14-2004, 04:05 PM
My technigue in photoshop is closest to traditional airbrush with a pass of gauche over the top.
Bill Mayer or an opaque Hajime Sorayama .I have been struggling with having my drawing show through more. When I was painting in acrylic I worked opaque...freinds used to comment on the loss of the drawing.. the comment was usually.."it is a shame to loose such a nice drawing"..so I have always wanted to get that back...but the truth is..I get into a groove and opaque is natural to me when working in color.

techart
09-15-2004, 08:41 AM
nice to see you back Shawn...another masterpiece of yours....I see u takeit from the work from Machineflesh...aweeeeeeeeesome style...very clean...like it alot.....best

shawnalanpeters
09-15-2004, 02:59 PM
actually, this came first.

nice to see you back Shawn...another masterpiece of yours....I see u takeit from the work from Machineflesh...aweeeeeeeeesome style...very clean...like it alot.....best

techart
09-15-2004, 04:27 PM
why didn't you finished this one then?......in my opinion I think they are bouth at same level....personaly I think this one is a little bit finisated.....great work you have...love it

shawnalanpeters
09-15-2004, 04:37 PM
Time to move on to the next one...

and I can't wait to start it. The idea came to me as I saw the palatte.
I am working on an albino medusa. it is very coll and blue underneath
the warm pale yellow and white scales ...with hints of pale orange/pink
in the eyes.
Time to do something organic... I am still debating doing it in one layer.

Galo
09-17-2004, 01:07 PM
Damn, ..... photoshop ha, love it!

I-NetGraFX
09-17-2004, 09:17 PM
hey guys...don't forget ..to rate this image..I am hoping to get this into the choice gallery.

Congrats to your choice award! You did it! :applause:

Cheers, Daniel :arteest:

shawnalanpeters
09-17-2004, 09:22 PM
thanks Daniel

nice going on the "city of god" matte!

JehutyVer2
09-20-2004, 04:38 AM
Awesome image. I love everything about it.

Ma
09-24-2004, 03:44 PM
Great concept,love the mix between a Lolita and a cyborg,love the colors too.
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Ma
09-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Where did you get your inspiration for this work?????.

shawnalanpeters
09-24-2004, 03:48 PM
StormTroopers and Chris Cunningham's Biork video.

Where did you get your inspiration for this work?????.

Russta
09-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Very cool image, I like alot! How the hell do you get such smooth lines in photoshop, are you using the pen tool? I'm guessing you didnt us a wacom tablet for this one, right?

Congrats,
Russ

shawnalanpeters
09-28-2004, 03:51 PM
I used a wacom for the whole thing.. although this technique evolved from the pre-wacom days. I could get close to this look with a mouse... although, it would be a little more mechanical. The lines are stroked paths... paths are the only way to get clean complex curves.
I will use them to create selections also. I guess knowing illustrator did come in useful!

Very cool image, I like alot! How the hell do you get such smooth lines in photoshop, are you using the pen tool? I'm guessing you didnt us a wacom tablet for this one, right?

Congrats,
Russ

songhuichen
09-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Wow~~~what Can I Say!cool!

Par Tickle
09-29-2004, 04:47 PM
I love this image. It reminds me of a cross between EVE Protomecha and Ghost In The Shell, although still looking quite original. Bravo.

adel3d
09-30-2004, 10:50 AM
OOMOM!!!:love:
Excellent Work!
keep up the good work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

silicate
09-30-2004, 10:18 PM
Man I'm blown away. Quite striking are the eyes. Hey? For a beginner any advice on learning this technique I've been struggling with learning to paint in Photoshop for a while.

shawnalanpeters
09-30-2004, 10:53 PM
The best advise would be study from life..and don't worry about technique. You will find your own technique the more you draw, paint or sculpt. As for photoshop just dive in and don't forget your wacom!

Man I'm blown away. Quite striking are the eyes. Hey? For a beginner any advice on learning this technique I've been struggling with learning to paint in Photoshop for a while.

trall
10-04-2004, 02:27 PM
:scream: great work, great material. and great concept :applause: :applause: :applause:

jsandoval
10-04-2004, 10:47 PM
Impressive is all I would like to say, your work is so clean as vector art. If you like me to nit pick something to improve... that will be a bit more of contrast in white parts, as in shoulder pads. Nothing more.

Series of six? Yeah man, please do it. I´m actually starting something like your project (metallic, cyberwomans, robot-human... series of 14), so maybe you will be interested. Please take a look at the first one here. Your input will be invaluable:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=168381

Final word: excellent work, do more as this one

drob
10-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Nice drawing. This was totally done in Photoshop?

billy_john_bob_jim
10-07-2004, 02:10 AM
nice, allthough the nipple goes in.. maybe you like that... but as for me i would say pop those dudes out. unless its really cold. nice work. -M

justsantiago
10-09-2004, 11:16 AM
:scream: ohh god, what a great thing to find people who do this kind of stuff. I'm really interested in this kind of sexywoman machine relation but im a little more morbid abouth it. what kind of influences do you have. Heve you seen the animation from the quay brothers? yours have a lot more of graphic design in it, so it is not quite like it. good luck, i would like to take a look at the rest of the series.

Divaise
10-09-2004, 04:54 PM
It's very cool man ! I'd like to see that in 3D...

grandma
10-19-2004, 03:52 AM
好细腻!very good :applause:

darkzerox
10-20-2004, 11:52 PM
I *LOVE* this piece. Excellent work! Love your style. Lines give it an interesting touch, intentional or not.

VenomZER0
10-22-2004, 09:22 AM
she's very beautiful, that's how cyborgs are meant to be :)
Points of note to me are the great highlight work on the body and face, creating the plastic armour material.

Love the wires, but they don't seem too fitting with the rest of the figure...

...nice work and keep it up :thumbsup:

Decadence
10-29-2004, 02:44 PM
I really love the eyes. It makes the entire picture different...in a good way. Cheers!

Luke Mrozek
10-31-2004, 02:42 PM
Now this here is one hell of a cyborg...very sexy and her eyes are way cool.

Darko11
11-21-2004, 11:09 AM
she looks so expressive

sam4grafix
11-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Don worry.. Ur work is good.. so keep trying.. THINGS WILL HAPPN!
I like da emotion on da face... its tells alot.. KEEP ON GOIN

Vey best of luck!!

Sam

Ray-K
12-25-2004, 02:14 PM
:eek: Wow! i`m totally blown away by your work! i really love the way you did the white material. all the reflections look very realistic. i especially like all the detail around the eyes (gaplines and laces). it really helps to make them popping out. i would like to see more of your stuff!

Saikin
12-26-2004, 06:41 AM
nice...very nice...too many words can ruin a picture of this high calibur....so I'm through

TiCool
03-02-2005, 06:33 AM
Is she a machine or human being? Well, pity for the former one:applause:

vortex3010
03-08-2005, 09:38 PM
I think it's deffinatly worth continuing, I really like it. She's got a lot of expresion to her. Just as an idea, what if her eyes were a little more mechanical looking... I'm not sure it would work but if they looked built too it might be a bit better.

popoff
05-13-2005, 03:40 PM
(s)exXxtremely vice tech bitch ... congratz :thumbsup:

dj_demo
06-15-2005, 12:29 PM
so coooooooool, I love this clear works~~
here would you may to give us so advaice on how to create the shadow the the how things?
now I just use the coreldrew to create charater and the most difficalt for me is that they don't look like in the space ,jus look like on a paper.....

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2005, 12:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.