PDA

View Full Version : Rodian - StarWars Fan Art

JARhead
09-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Ive posted befor but, this is my first Thread Ive started here on CGtalk featuring my own work.

I used my trusty pencil and some genaric printing paper that I have sitting around my house on this one. Then of couse I scanned it.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=119102

[Sorry I dont know how to make those fancy clickys buttons.]

Some Crap people dont want to here but Ill say it anyways...

Im currently trying to teach my self paint with my Wacom that I recently bought but, as it turns out its harder then it seems :D . I tip my hat to all of you who are at lest half way decent or more so (Witch most of you here are)

Im currently 16 and live in Oregon, United States. I went in to get my GED and passed, so in a couple of years from now I have plans on going to some collage to home in my skills. Thats if evryithing gose as planed.

As for a critique I just need to here if I got the skills to make it in this bussness. I know I need pratice, who dosent :) and I could work on cleaning up my work a bit. Tear up my peice all you guys want! I NEED RESULTS :) !

And thanks ahead of time.

andrewley
09-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Its a decent sketch and a refreshing character choice with a nice pose. It would look nice coloured but if you want to leave it as a sketch you need to improve your line quality

JARhead
09-07-2004, 04:57 AM
Thanks ANdrewley. Your right I do need to work on cleaning it up a bit by improving my line quility. Im gald you think its at lest "Decent" :) thanks

Anyone eles want to take a stabe on critiqing my little pic?

SebastianPatric
09-07-2004, 08:33 AM
For scanning purposes, I suggest going over sketches with a pen. Unfortunately, I can't say your sketch is great. But you're about where the average 16 year old shoulld be ,art-wise. So don't take it the wrong way.

About your wacom troubles: tell me what tablet size you have and what software you use. I might give you a few software-speciffic pointers.

JARhead
09-07-2004, 07:29 PM
For scanning purposes, I suggest going over sketches with a pen. Unfortunately, I can't say your sketch is great. But you're about where the average 16 year old shoulld be ,art-wise. So don't take it the wrong way.

About your wacom troubles: tell me what tablet size you have and what software you use. I might give you a few software-speciffic pointers.
I use a 9x12 wacom, I use photoshop and painter8. I have more trouble getting used to it more then anything but, any advice would be grate.

SebastianPatric
09-07-2004, 08:35 PM
I don't use painter, but here are some tips for photoshop:

>Use scanned sketches or 3D renders as a base for your work.

>Use full opacity brushes only to set a base for paintings. Then continue with low opacity (under 10%) brushes to gradually layer color and shading. This way they come out looking smooth.

>Shadows first; Hilights later.

>When coloring line art it good to select the regions of color, one at a time. You can then go over the selected areas with color and shading without going outside the lines. I prefer using "multiply" layers for coloring purposes because the color and shading go on well and the lines still show through. And remember to save your selections in case you wish to tweak something.

>Some people increase the image resolution as they go to include more and more detail.

It would be easier to give you pointers if you had specific questions. If you do, then don't hesitate to ask.

zilla
09-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Hi Rodian,
I think your sketch is great for your age, you have a good feel for anatomy detail and pose. You have a better feel for sketching than I did at your age and I'm now working as an animator/modeller, so yes I certainly think your good enough. If you really want to have a career in art then try some life drawing classes (if this costs too much try drawing people on the train or bus) and sketch when you have free time.

it sounds like your frustration is with the wacom tablet more than learning to draw? time and practise are best. but some of my mates have placed old sketches under the little plastic flap that you draw on and then traced over them until they could get a feel for how the pen moves on screen.

good luck mate! :thumbsup:

recent work:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=165706

JARhead
09-09-2004, 12:03 AM
it sounds like your frustration is with the wacom tablet more than learning to draw? time and practise are best. but some of my mates have placed old sketches under the little plastic flap that you draw on and then traced over them until they could get a feel for how the pen moves on screen.
Thanks for taht tip, Im slowly getting better. Like you said time and pratise is the best and at the moment I have a lot of that.

Thanks Jumbo_Spaceman for those tips. I dont really have to much trouble with using the programs since there is a lot of sites that help me and answer a lot of questions.

I just want to thank evryone for their responses so far, Ill post some more of my work soon. Perhaps something colored and more finished. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.