PDA

View Full Version : 3d motion blur problem

StylizedReality
09-06-2004, 03:24 AM
hi, I'm having difficulties with 3d motion blur in the Maya software renderer. everything is fine, blur, grain, etc. except it keeps flashing from light to dark in a matter of a few frames. I've got his shading and motion blur samples on high, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. is there a way to fix this? or a better way to get motion blur? (I tried doing mental ray but it says the shape is not equivalent and no motion vectors were created, and thus it doesn't motion blur). thanks in advance

joelo
09-06-2004, 11:03 PM
in the case of rendering with mr, you probably have some geometry with its history altering the topology between frames, maybe a nurbs to poly operation? Perhaps you dont need it? Dont know if that affects maya software renderer though

/J

StylizedReality
09-11-2004, 09:34 PM
yeah, there was history on it. I'm now rendering with maya software with motion blur, the only problem is that every so often, mainly in the even field (I'm rendering with fields), for just a frame, splotches show up on the model. does anyone know why this is? or how to fix it?
thanks in advance

meatpuppet
03-19-2005, 12:03 AM
i've recently had quite a few problems with maya 2d motion blur. i would get very weird 'artifacts' in my renders. lights would turn on and off, strange dark splotches, and general uglyness.

i never really figured out why or how to fix it. instead i rendered without motion blur and added it in post with reel smart's 2d motion vector plug-in.

little bit more of a hassle with the extra render pass (in mental ray no less) and it does increase comp rendering a bit but it works like a charm.

doing a search here should turn up useful info...

cheers,

StylizedReality
03-30-2005, 08:35 AM
hey, thanks for your reply. I forgot to come back and tell everyone the solution I came up with. turns out that the reason the artifacts were there was because of the polysmooth function I had on there. if you use smooth proxy instead, it works perfectly.

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2005, 08:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.