PDA

View Full Version : Dielectric problem with imported meshes..

oskar_bertrand
09-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Hi,

I just started playing around with the MR dielectric material. I found a useful tutorial on the web and imported some Rhino meshes I made for the occasion. It didn't work so well. I got frustrated after awhile and took a break. I came back a couple of hours later and tried again without the Rhino meshes, just some spheres created in Maya. To my surprise I had a nice looking glass material on the first try. I plugged in my Rhino meshes again with the shader that worked on the Maya sphere and it was ugly again.

I have a sample image at:

http://www.geocities.com/oskar_bertrand/dielectric.html

The nested spheres on the left were created in Maya. On the right you see the imported Rhino meshes. What is causing the lack of transparency on the Rhino meshes? I am exporting from Rhino as a mesh in .obj format.

Thanks,

Oskar Bertrand

MunCHeR
09-05-2004, 08:42 PM
importing obj files usually visible in reflections & refractions is turned off by default, enable these in the objects attribute editor and it should work fine.:thumbsup:

MunCH

oskar_bertrand
09-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the tip, Muncher. Works beautifully now. Seems a strange thing to have turned off by default.

Oskar

MunCHeR
09-06-2004, 01:10 AM
:thumbsup: yeah definately, I pulled out quite a few hairs on this one too, actually found it by mistake! hehe

Cheers

MunCH

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.