PDA

View Full Version : xsi smoke: alpha channel ?

blacknoise
09-05-2004, 04:48 PM
hi there!
ive "recreated" xsi smoke shader by using the constant density node and plugging it to the volume channel of the material. i used sample scene that someone at xsibase forum has prepared. it looks great (with a white background)... but i cant get it to work, so it renders out with nice alpha channel. http://www.xsibase.com/forum/YaBBImages/angry.gif
my newbie thoughts are that there should be some way to plug the density channel as a alpha/transparency.
for the surface channel i have velvet thingy...
when i render this out and lets say turn off primary rays on the background... my smoke renders as solid white in alpha.

ummm ohhh... any thoughts?
hope you understand my problem.

thanks a lot for any ideas.

take care,
bn.

Facial Deluxe
09-06-2004, 06:42 AM
I'm not an expert with particles but, are you using a 2D background color ? it looks great (with a white background)... If so remove it, 2D background color fills the alpha whatever your setting (at least in my case).

JDex
09-06-2004, 06:50 AM
You can do some tricks in post as a last resort... render your smoke as you need it... then render a second version with a bright constant background (blue, red or green) like a green screen... then through channel manipulation do a key to extract your alpha.

blacknoise
09-06-2004, 11:44 AM
im not using particles for the smoke effect. just loft surface with the proper shader.

jdex
you gave me some idea on how to achieve what i want. will have to test it out today.

thank you for your help guys

bn.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.