PDA

View Full Version : Newbi question regarding import and different materials

Nixgehtmehr
09-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Hello,

I am new to XSI and currently testing the free foundation demo. I am a Cinema 4D guy - so please apologise my "maybe" simple question.

The problem: I try to import an CAD-Model into Softimage. The original CAD-data was converted with polytrans into a XSI-model or into a OBJ-model.
The import works perfect - no geometry errors in both filtypes.

Now my question. The original CAD-Model has three diffrent colors applied. When I import this model into Cinema 4d I got different polygon selction according to this colors and I can assign different materials to this selections.

But not so in XSI! The different colors doesn't appear in XSI. My model has only one color and one material.

Where can I find this selction after the import in XSI. And how can I assign more than one material to my model. Is there any way to assign a material onto a polygon selection?

kind regards
Mike

Atyss
09-05-2004, 03:41 PM
I don't know about the import thing. Check in the object clusters if there are polygon clusters. What if you render the object, does it have multiple colors?

To assign materials to polygons, well, select polygons, and do Get > Material > material of your choice.....

However, this is my personal opinion, but since you just start in XSI, you should really stay away from polygon materials. Many problems related to their use.

Cheers
Bernard

Nixgehtmehr
09-06-2004, 07:13 AM
Thanks for you help!

I have two more questions:

1) What is the problem with polygon Materials?

2) I made a further test, regarding the import of Models with more than one Material:
I exported one test Model out of my Cinema 4D as OBJ-File. The model has different materials applied to several polygon selections.
Then I imported it into XSI with the OBJ-Importer.
After the import there is only one standard material left. All selections are gone. Why?

Please can you give me some advice how to solve this issue.

kind regards
Mike

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.